Welcome to PatsFans.com

Soros Billion dollar bet?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Aug 8, 2011.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2

My Jersey:

From the UK:

More money for moveon and media matters, Obama looks like a cheap date. Gives Soros the KY and bends over the American people.
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

My Jersey:

Soros the liberals billionaire they hate all rich people except him the Kennedys and Back Stabber Oprah
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

There are mounting rumours that....

I stop reading anything after these words.

And the part: "The bet also raises questions of whether President Obama and Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner knew that a downgrade was on the cards." is pretty lame, IMO. Who didn't know that? Well before July 21 every news outlet was reporting about the likelihood of a downgrade. Obama and Geithner left out of that loop? I doubt it.

I will say that if Soros or anyone else did this, they are anti-American scum for it. I remember something like this being mentioned in another thread, but with different people and another different, but related situation...can't remember specifically, but i did make a similar comment about the character of such a move. If Soros did this, I would consider him an enemy of the People.
  4. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Right now the trade isn't working out...maybe a downgrade was already priced in? At the very least our downgraded government is still considered safer than most others. Ironic that a "flight to safety" spurred on by a downgrade of our sovereign debt leads right back to that very same investment vehicle.
  5. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2

My Jersey:

I posted a thread about this trade when it happened, someone had inside info and made out $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

From the article a lot of inuendo.. so it must be factual.

The premise here is that someone bet money, Soros is linked to Obama, Geitner said there would be no downgrade in April..so Soros did it??

Someone needs a course in logic.. there is no substantive evidence in this article.. they qualify it by saying someone else could have done it..

There are a whole lot of dots to connect here..

7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Could it have been someone from Standard and Poors??? Could it have been someone from the Tea Party or a funder of those folks who knew what was going to happen and helped orchestrate it?? Could it have been another power elite who stood to make this much cash??

But they have concluded Soros did it, with no evidence.. just conjecture and theory are the standards of the extreme right. We can make Soros the demon, even though there is no evidence. Once again there is a rush to judgement, no real evidence offered and no due process... that goddammed constitution is such an unwieldy document.
  8. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Soros isn't exactly a far-fetched "suspect", given that he runs a huge hedge fund and has a history of big bets against currencies in times of trouble (you know, how he made most of the money that he uses to fund librul causes--you gotta "steal" from the little guy in order to help him).
  9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

What is the evidence?? There is none, right now.. but that is not important.

He has a history so he did it?? Strange evidence rules, if he didn't we will believe it anyways.

How many other folks place big bets against currencies?? We do not know that do we, but George has done it so it has to be him.

Tabloid news and hysteria...
  10. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

If someone at S&P had a billion dollars to play with, they likely wouldn't be working at S&P.

It might have been PIMCO, or the Chinese, or another hedge fund manager, John Paulson:

Investors: The $1 Billion Armageddon Trade Placed Against The United States (NYSE:SLV, NYSE:GLD, NYSE:TBT, NYSE:TLT, NYSE:SPY) | ETF DAILY NEWS
  11. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The initial thread you started was pretty empty, given the lack of substance in the "article" that was cited.

Guess you're now mimicking harry, starting new threads on the same thing when there isn't enough interest or they're shown to be empty?

Let us know when you've got some facts.

(btw, this another amusing instance of you leaping to buy into whatever speculation is out there if the target is somebody on the left. If it's a righty terrorist, though, it's deflection galore, including a rousing game of blame the victims. A righty caught on tape? must have been doctored. spin, spin away, dreidel13)
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  12. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Who said it was evidence? I just said that contributed to the--what's the word?--speculation?
  13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2

My Jersey:

When the facts do emerge, I can come back and reference these threads..

Soros made many of his billions shorting the British pound it is what he does.

Apparently IF it was Soros it would be viewed as a problem given his connections and funding of dems causes, correct?

It will be hard to figure out if it was Soros since his hedge fund went private to avoid close SEC oversight, interesting timing.
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Lets see how this works no one knows who all the players are, but because we know that Soros was he did it..

There is no evidence, but we can believe that he did it.

Those extreme righties need to take a logic course, there is more to this than reported in a sensational British Tabloid.
  15. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Yes -- and I'm sure you will if it doesn't turn out to be some sort of an indictment of somebody on the left...

Would it be a problem? No. Could it be one? Yes. As you point out, this is what he (and other hedge funds) does.

You're still ignoring the fact that even if were Soros, you have no idea what his other positions are. As I already pointed out in your first thread (how many are you starting on the same speculation, btw?), the initial article showed its uselessness by not even acknowledging the possibility of these positions -- if they exist -- being hedges. This article also fails in that regard, as do you (again).

btw, I know you need to try to make everything on the left look nefarious, but many, if not most, hedge funds are private and seek to avoid close SEC oversight. If he were a righty, you'd have no problem with it and would probably cite the SEC's efforts to monitor private funds more closely as excessive regulation (and I'd probably agree with you on that).