PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sophomore Wideouts vs. Sophomore Defensive Lineman

Status
Not open for further replies.

willard

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
There have been 3 second year wideouts and 3 second year defensive lineman with the Patriots this year. A lot has been said about the wideouts, but not much about the lineman. Perhaps due to their draft position and perhaps due to the flash of the position.

The second year is said to reveal the players ability to get it. The bump due to physical conditioning, learning the playbook and learning to be a professional forecasts the players success in the NFL. Of course there are many exceptions, but the rule is often repeated.

Chris Jones: One of my favorite Patriots last year because of how he came in and just held up the defensive line for an incredible amount of snaps until Siliga started playing. Having a very strong year again this year at a more reasonable snap count. His strong play has eased Easley's importance to the defense. I think the outlook is bright for an NFL career.

For Aaron Dobson last year seemed to play as you would expect a rookie wide receiver with promise to play-up and down. The timing and feel from afar of his offseason lower leg problems seemed queer. 38 yards this year. I think his NFL career is in doubt and projects from this point as more of a journeyman wide receiver than a leading one.

Michael Buchannan flashed a bit early last year, but then despite the need was not called up0n. Seemed to be building into a backup role this year before his early season ending injury. Think he could be an NFL backup, but future is uncertain.

Kembrell Thompkins Now with the Raiders, but started with us. Perception is that he is near his ceiling and that is why Bill released him. Really liked his story and I pulled for him, but I think he also projects as a journeyman receiver.

Joe Vellano had some nice moments on the team last year and I am glad he is on our practice squad. Not sure if he has the stature or tools to be much more than what he is now.

Josh Boyce was someone I thought would surpass Aaron Dobson as a player. Wide receivers sometimes develop late and so there is still time, but it is not looking good.

So positive contributions from all 6 last year, but only Chris Jones has followed it up this year. He is the only one I feel confident will be on the team next year.

Buchanan is on IR. What need did we have for a DE last year? Yeah, Jones and Ninko play nearly 100% of the snaps but BB and Patricia don't seem to mind.

Although I'm down on Dobson, I'm not out on him, yet at least. He had that nagging foot injury, missed a ton of time during TC and pre season, and he was trying to play catch up pretty much all season. I think to everyone surprise, Lafell really stepped up and ran away with the job. I'd like to see a healthy AD, with a full TC under his belt to get in sync with Brady before I come to any conclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes