Welcome to PatsFans.com

Sophomore class: Who makes the biggest impact?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATRIOTSFANINPA, Apr 8, 2009.

?

Biggest sophomore impact in 2009

Poll closed Apr 15, 2009.
  1. Guyton

39 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Green-Ellis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Redd

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. Wheatley

43 vote(s)
    36.8%
  5. Willhite

9 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. Slater

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Crable

24 vote(s)
    20.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

NOT COUNTING MAYO

The word around is always that a players career may be indicated by what they do from year one their rookie year to year two as a sophomore.

So with that being said,which of the following sophomores do you expect to make more of an impact from either playing for a short time to sitting on the bench to IR last season.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  2. StraightCashHomey81

StraightCashHomey81 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Tough call between Wheatley and Guyton for me. With the Springs/Bodden additions, i think the best Wheatley can do is be the 3rd corner. But then again thats more and more important in the modern-day league. I'll give the slight edge to Guyton, because i think regardless of what we do in the draft he has a good lock as the 3rd down coverage LB and maybe more if we don't fortify ILB in the draft and Bruschi continues to regress. I reserve the right to change my answer to Vince Redd if we don't add Taylor/Peppers or a good OLB high in the draft.

3. Nestapats

Nestapats Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm betting on Wheatley to win a starting spot somewhere during the season. I thought he showed already flashes of good play last year. I agree that it's a tough call with guyton. I think Crable might need more time.

4. WhiZa

WhiZa Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I was thinking Wheatley or Guyton as well. Wheatley has a year experience, and can finally show what he's got being a high draft pick. Guyton will have more opportunity to shine, but I'm not sure if he can take on an expanded role.

5. PATRIOTSFANINPA

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Not in reference to your post,but I do hope you change your Pioli picture soon to Caserio - I hate seeing that KC cap on his head :).

6. PATRIOTSFANINPA

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I went with Crable - I would have loved to have seen Vrabel working with Crable and as a mentor to helping him out with the position but I am sure Thomas will give him the support he needs to become servicable in his sophomore year.

He still needs to strengthen and muscle up on those toothpick legs though,they scare me.

7. Lockdown06

Lockdown06 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

if wheatley stays healthy he's going to take a starting spot and do some damage. Best case for crable is a rotation with woods. Guyton is also going to be a role player - IF wheatley fulfills his potential he's going to contribute the most.

8. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +232 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

I went with Crable because Wheatley showed a lot last year, Crable never had a chance. But he also has had a year to get healthy and learn the system more.

9. JFK

JFK Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0

Crable and Wilhite.

10. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Kind of hard to tell before the draft but I wen with Guyton. It's large an issue of practicality since he's in a position to see the field more than anybody else. Of course, that's completely contingent on the draft - we should re-visit the issue later.

11. Rossmci90

Rossmci90 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I went with Crable because with the current weakness at OLB and a much strong backfield i see Crable getting much more playing time than Wheatley.

12. Horace's Ivories

Horace's Ivories PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +107 / 1 / -0

#24 Jersey

Wheatley showed some good closing speed and good smarts last year. i love this guy and hope he stays healthy.

13. Zeus

Zeus PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +613 / 2 / -0

I have no idea what the right answer is but five of the seven players you listed are defenders. I think this the the key to the 2009 season - how much do these young defenders develop?

If even 2 or 3 of these guys is able to make a significant contribution, the upside is huge. The D gets younger and faster in a hurry.

14. ALP

ALP Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +75 / 2 / -0

i will say crable or redd....voted for crable...

i dont believe guyton will be a full time starter this season...and his impact inside will be shared w/ someone...

the cb's wont have to make any type of exponential leap this yr with our starting 3 already in place (in one order or another) best i think they can do is take the nickel back....which is good, but doesnt take the vote in ur question....

slater....LOL....LONG TIME TO GO

green ellis has too many good backs in front of him (maroney stays) and its possible hes not even gonna be ont he roster, the kid ran well, but not great

so its gonna be the pass rushers...especially seeing how we didnt add any in FA yet....

15. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,125 / 17 / -4

#12 Jersey

I went with Crable, just because the role that he could potentially fill is the one that the team needs the most. If he can become even a serviceable rotation OLB, it will have a major impact on the team.

16. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +909 / 14 / -5

#51 Jersey

Wheatley was starting to look very good before he went down with the arm injury last season. With Springs and Bodden added, I think he can make more of an impact now, as he doesn't have to perform as the number 1 or 2 corner straight up.

17. WhiZa

WhiZa Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I was going to go with Floyd Reese, let's see how this draft plays out :)

18. Feep50

Feep50 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I voted for Crable based on what I would like to see happen. Vrabel is gone and there is a definite hole at OLB now, seemingly.

I would like to see all the players on the poll play well though...... They can all cement their positions on the team with solid reps and I hope they do well...:cool:

19. Schmo

Schmo Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I went with Wheatley. I believe he will improve like Meriweather did in his second year.

20. C32345

C32345 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wilhite. He started to improve in the 2nd half of the year and will only get better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.