Welcome to PatsFans.com

Son Turns on Church That Pickets Soldiers' Funerals

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, May 5, 2010.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

2. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Fred Phelps is probably the worst person in America, North and South. Good for his son.

3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,050 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Good story .. but he left that church 30 years ago ... nothing new for him.

4. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

Too bad he didn't turn that "paddle" on good ole dad at some point in his teens.

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +532 / 6 / -2

Picketing soldiers funerals is just horrible. Good for junior.

6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +365 / 11 / -27

It will be interesting the Supreme Court Challenge, their 1st amendment rights vs. the rights of the families of fallen warriors...

Personally think that the Westboro will prevail, but will see..

Someone is funding these efforts, and an economic effort may be better than a legal effort.. they travel all over the country, someone is paying.

7. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Agree with this.

8. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

The worst part about the Phelps family and that awful church is that unlike other fanatical groups, they're smart. I say that not as a reflection of their beliefs, but of their ability to effectively work within the system. Many of them are lawyers, so they know just what to do so they don't get arrested, they prosecute other folks who do anything towards them, and find any loophole available to spread their hate. These are crafty folks unfortunately. They give all Evangelical Christians a bad name with their nonsense.

9. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

Yeah, but they believe in god and they're Christians, so how bad can they really be?

10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Nah, I don't think they do. Most people are intelligent enough to know there are a few bad apples in any barrel and are capable of differentiating. I've never equated these guys with my son or my son's wife and his in-laws and their church. There's simply no equation.

As we all know there are fanatics and factions in any group - most especially in any large religious group. The Phelps family is no more representative of Evangelical Christians at large than suicide bombers are representative of the larger body of Muslims or The Opus Dei Society is representative of the entire Catholic Church.

11. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Agreed, these people aren't some fly-by-night group without a clue, they obviously plan well. Anyway, good for the son!

12. STFarmy

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Well rational people know that, yes. And you're right, WBC is so extreme and out there, that most people probably see them as a separate group unto themselves. It's just that being an Evangelical Christian myself, I SHUDDER every time I see one of those crazies spreading hate in the name of Jesus. It's sickening to me.

13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Yes, my son agrees with you. And I agree with both of you. I am personally outraged, even though I've left organized Catholicism behind long ago, whenever I see any type of hatred or intolerance or judgement passing spread by anyone calling themselves a Christian of any sort. I honestly take it as a personal affront. Jesus was about a whole lot of things - hatred and the right of one person to personally judge another person were not among those things. Jesus advised us worry about our own selves and, barring that, to pray for those we felt were on the wrong path - not to throw stones - which is what picketing their funeral processions and hurting their families boils down to doing. The bible calls on us to care for the widows and the orphans - not to bully them by carrying accusatory signs at their loved one's funeral.

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  14. STFarmy

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

That sums it up perfectly. We're not supposed to yell and scream at people who act in a way we don't deem appropriate. We're supposed to love them no matter what (though without giving up our own convictions). Bullying is the perfect term for what a lot of these thugs do.