Welcome to PatsFans.com

Something We Can All Agree On

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

There's got to be a special place in hell for people like this:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/28/justice/georgia-toddler-death/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I cannot even begin to fathom the horror and pain this little 2 year old went through. First, to be left alone in a car at all. No child likes being left alone. How frightened he must have been...and he would have gotten hungry long before he died. And soiled. And more and more scared. And then he cooked. Roasted. Alive.

And his father (and I use the term loosely) actually had the gall to CHECK on him at lunch time.

Apparently he wasn't dead enough yet.

Arghhhhh........
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. iapatsfan

iapatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +150 / 26 / -10

This guy is obviously a scum bag, but it leads to a question I recently debated with my in-laws. A woman in our local community recently (accidentally) left her child in her car for the first half of the work day. She ran out over lunch, found her child (18 months) and took her to the hospital. The child was found to have a few minor issues, but nothing permanent or serious. My in-laws, bleeding hearts and all, felt absolutely nothing should happen to her as she had suffered enough already.

My position was/is that by not seriously punishing people like the local lady, you would be making it easier for people like this guy. If someone wants to off their child, why wouldn't they just leave him/her in the car and claim "accident"?

How should accidental perpetrators of this kind of negligence be punished?
  3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

That's a tough one. And not one I can answer. I tend to agree with you, though, I think. I mean, "forgot your kid was in the car?" I have a hard time with that. If you've managed to forget your child is with you - you've got way too much on your mind and your priorities are sorely out of whack. If you "forgot" to feed them, you'd be guilty of starving your child. If you "forgot" they were in the bathtub alone and they drowned, you'd be guilty of neglect. If you "forgot" you left them in a locked room without water, you'd be guilty of child abuse. Ditto if you left them alone in the front yard and they wandered into traffic. Ditto of any number of things you could "forget," to have done.

I worked with a nurse whose sister had 9 kids ranging from 3 months to 12 years old...most of them adopted. She was a stay-at-home mom, extremely active in her church and she home-schooled the kids who were school age. Her and her husband were Sunday School teachers. They left the house one Sunday morning in their mini-van with all the kids inside. The rule was that each older kid was responsible for a younger one. Somewhere along the way - the assignments got screwed up or something because the 3 month old was left in the van. When they came out of church and Sunday school and the meeting after - they found the baby dead in her car seat. Everyone claimed they thought someone else had taken the baby.

Nothing happened to any of them. It was deemed a "terrible accident" and there were no charges filed or action taken.

I'm pretty harsh in judgement, though. It's your kid, not your kid's kid. The parent is ultimately responsible. It's not the "job" of an 8 year old to be responsible for a 3 month old. Any parent who gives them that "job" without close supervision is negligent. (In my opinion, anyhow.) What a burden for that 8 year old to have grown up with.

That being said - it seems, for some reason, that parents who A) leave their children in hot parked cars and B) parents who leave their children alone in rooms with loaded guns don't often get in trouble for either of those things. It's always the same excuse, "they suffered enough."

I'm a big meanie - I don't think they have. And I don't think anyone hearing about it learns anything from it. (Which would be the only good thing that could come of it.)

I don't necessarily think they should go to jail or be sentenced to prison - but I do think they should be found guilty of negligence and have to do some kind of community service talking about what happened.
  4. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,000 / 24 / -45

No Jersey Selected

Not sure how accidental perps should be punished across the board, but this guy should be tossed in an incinerator and left to cook. People that sexually molest and murder children need the death penalty. There is literally no reason for them to exist on this Earth after that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

Exactly, cases like this the killer should be burned at the stake on prime time TV.

In reading other storys in the past about people saying "they forgot the child was with them" how the hell can a person just Forget they have a child with them.

My father use to say "don't ever worry about going to hell your living in hell now" I don't know about that though, I've had a pretty good life.

Isn't it written somewhere in the Bible about "the little children shall suffer"
  6. iapatsfan

iapatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +150 / 26 / -10

The problem arises when it becomes too easy to claim "accident". This guy was an idiot and got caught, but it seems like a parent with a slightly higher level of intellect could take advantage of the light punishment given to the "accidental" perpetrators and kill their child fairly easily.
  7. SB39

SB39 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +457 / 18 / -28

Anyone that leaves a child in a car should be severly punished. Manslaughter or negligent homicide at the very least. (The guy who did it deliberately should be given murder-1 and the death penalty).

I couldn't fathom leaving my dog in the car accidentally, let alone a child. Hell, I make a mental note not to leave candy in my car on a hot day so I couldn't imagine forgetting a human being.
  8. Boogs

Boogs Rookie

Ratings:
    +76 / 2 / -4

I have trouble even hearing this stuff. I have a kid about that age.
  9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Yeah...I have a 20 month old grandson. I can't even imagine.
  10. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +350 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

You know, I used to have more sympathy for the accidental ones BEFORE I was a parent. You'd think that I'd understand, having had two young daughters to drive to day care almost daily. I'm about as ADD as they come (as some of you have figured out) but I've never once forgotten that my kids were in the back seat. The thought is unfathomable to me. Now, I've missed the turn to day care once or twice if it's been a while since I've taken them, but actually forgetting that my kids are there??

I don't know how to further punish a parent who accidentally does this to be honest. Perhaps it's worth looking at negligent manslaughter as a good starting point.

As for this guy who did it on purpose? If his wife wasn't in on his little plan, I'm fine with letting her mete out the justice. Realistically though, I'm fine with the standard death penalty in this case.
  11. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +458 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

But here's the question: WHY would this guy murder his child to begin with? In that manner? His simply being a "sick bastard" doesn't explain it. Well, perhaps that will have to suffice, but I'd like to hear an expert's explanation of the pathological thought process behind such an act.
  12. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +350 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

My only guess is that he didn't like being a father and saw this as a way out of it. Of course, I'm no expert.

But I will say on a completely unrelated note; they say this dude is 33. I'm 33...he looks like he's 43.
  13. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +328 / 6 / -8

I'd support tougher laws spelling out that (yes even when unintentional) it is a crime to endanger your child in the ways mentioned.

Laws should discourage the prerequisites to tragedy at least when there is no legally competent person (adult) present to make the final error that leads to a tragedy.

The last line of defense is not the 8-year-old taking the 2-year-old out of the car -- or keeping the gun away from him.

PFnV
  14. Boogs

Boogs Rookie

Ratings:
    +76 / 2 / -4

I will say this, if a parent did this unintentionally, you could not punish them more than what they will live with the rest of their life. And if the parent has other kids, you're taking that parent away from raising the other kids. And that is punishing a whole family in very damaging ways. So in the case of Mrs' example with the mom of 9 kids, where it was unintentional, I think no prison time is the right judgement.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +188 / 3 / -10

This IS really sick. I can't even imagine how someone could even consider doing such a thing to an infant.

I also can't accept that anyone could "accidentally" leave their child in a swealtering car. It's not like it's a laptop or even a pet. You don't forget your child is with you. But if people can/do forget, our society is even more distacted than I thought.

Since I'm not a parent, maybe others could share if they believe it's possible to forget>?
  16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

17. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +279 / 4 / -9

A tragic meh........in a couple of days nobody will care.......or until the next sick f*ck plays something out
  18. SB39

SB39 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +457 / 18 / -28

IMHO, the reason why he chose the method he did is that method presented him with the best chance of (literally) getting away with murder by pretending it was an accident.
  19. SB39

SB39 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +457 / 18 / -28

If someone left a child in a car to boil to death then gee call me crazy but taking them away from raising the other kids is a good thing.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

I know it's a Mortal Sin for liberals to watch O'Reilly but he has a thing on there every so often called "Watters World" this guy Watters goes out in the street and asks people questions it is amazing how many dumb bastards there are walking around, he asked one goopy woman who Joe Biden was the woman thought he was a Hockey player, these are the people who "Forget Kids Are With Them"
    Some people have been known to drive away with the baby up on the car roof.