PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Something to think about

Status
Not open for further replies.
All due respect to scout.com, but they weren't SERIOUS enough about picking up another back when it came to the draft, or through free agency to date. Granted, the market dictates that, but it clearly has not been among their highest priorities this offseason.

So I think the significance of this interest (which has been reported by Reiss and others all along) is being overstated here. Tying this to some dissatisfaction with Maroney is just getting a little carried away.

The other posters who linked the interest to Morris's situation make better sense. I think this relates to the possibility that Morris will not regain his effectiveness. You never know with serious injuries, I guess. So they're doing their due diligence in the event they have to bring somebody else in to play that sort of role. They may not even think at this point that they'll have to, but they're planning anyway, which they always do.

I don't see what's alarming about that, as it relates to Maroney especially. Some back they bring in now isn't going to take away carries from Maroney. They're going to decide in June that they need to do something about their top back?

I don't think it has to necessarily be alarming where Morris is concerned, at least any more so than you've been alarmed already. We ought to know there's at least a chance he won't be up to speed when he gets back to the field. That was a fairly serious injury. They appear at least hopeful that he'll complete his rehab on schedule (given the lack of moves already), but there's always the chance he won't. I think that's been the case all along.

I've been a member/subscriber at scout.com for awhile now and I enjoy it. I don't think they're being very realistic if they're pimping this as some significant thing.

:agree:

Personally I'd love another RB just because of how susceptible they are to injuries...they don't typically have a long shelf life and they're such an important piece to the offensive puzzle too. But I'm not betting the farm that the Pats share my views lol ;)

I think Corey's probably done, but in his prime he was a banger. #28:rocker:

I understand your position, and I spent a lot of time last season defending Maroney, and I actually love his potential and the threat he poses as a breakaway runner if the o-line can actually block for him instead of getting him hit behind the line seemingly 3 runs out of 4.. I just don't think it's a good sign if your team is looking to bring in yet another back to take carries away from Maroney with the level of interest that DefenseRules seems to indicate they have.

I agree it doesn't look good, but for Sammy Morris, not Maroney. The two RB rotation is the rage in the NFL now. Having two or even three backs splitting carries these days is no big deal. But if they are looking for a Corey Dillon type, that leaves Morris as the odd man out because before he was injured he was playing the Dillon role in the two RB set. The guy is 31 and is coming off a major season ending injury. Maroney ran for over 100 yards in 4 of his last 6 games, had 7 TDs in that six game stretch, and seemed to have cured his hesitence to hit the hole fast and decisively.

I guarantee you that if the Pats add another RB who will get significant playing time and makes the final 53 man roster, Sammy Morris or possibly Kevin Faulk will not be a Patriot in the 2008 season. I don't think Maroney plays a factor in it at all. I think Belichick and McDaniels are actually happy that Maroney was turning into the RB they thought they drafted by the time of the Super Bowl.

If correct, the (supposed) belief of one Scouts.com "insider" does point to a Morris or Eckel replacement rather than a Maroney replacement... as everybody's already said.

I am not trying to impugn the OP's connection with the Scouts.com guy, or for that matter to impugn the scouts.com guy's eye for the league, or knowledge of the scuttlebutt.

But it seems to me that a guy who understands the value of information like Belichick is unlikely to say to a small room of Scouts.com and other "insiders" anything like "May I have your attention please... we are really looking for another Corey Dillon... that is all."

That being the case, it seems like the "insider" is piecing together the Pats' interest in Kevin Jones, their actions vis a vis other backs on the market, the recent injury history (Morris) and perhaps a tidbit making the rounds about Morris' condition, and making a speculative, rather than definitive statement.

I guess what I am saying is the thread starts with a sort of "I have it on good authority that..." statement, but there is no good authority on the Pats' plans, not a publicly available one.

That said: he might be right... but it's a thinner case than the contractuallly made point last year, by which just about everybody HERE, and nobody in the media, reasoned that Stallworth would be gone or take a cut this coming year.

Just adding my two cents' and grain of salt, and no offense once more to the OP,

PFnV

I guarantee you that if the Pats add another (ANY POSITION) who will get significant playing time and makes the final 53 man roster, (ANY PLAYER) or possibly (SEASONED AND BELOVED VET PLAYER) will not be a Patriot in the 2008 season. .

I fixed your post for you - things are really as they should be, decisions are made solely by what is in the best interest of the New England Patriots in terms of winning football games. What makes BB/SP so darn effective is they never waiver and never get away from that fundamental manner of conducting business.

Last edited:
Is Marion (2 yards and a cloud of dust) Butts available?

I'd love another Corey Dillon. Order me up another John Hannah and a Paul Warfield too.

Because we got Dillon at the end of his career, do people fail to realize he is one of the top complete running backs of all time?

He was only a power back by our time, but he had 3 of the greatest games any running back has, and carried a crap team with defenses stacked against him for years.

If we mean a backup type who runs with downhill with power like Dillon did with us, maybe we could pickup Sammy Morris... Oh never mind.

We might try for a power back/fb combo to replace Eckel, but please don't call him another Corey Dillon.

Josh Scobey. He is a kicker. Why the hell is he on your list?

Forget about Benson ever wearing Pats gear. His problem is lack of work ethic. He is not a Patriots guys. As of right now, he's not a back for any other team in the league either.

Let's not be so quick to write off Sammy Morris. He'll be fine.

I've been talking to one of the insiders at Scout.com. He told me that the Pats are SERIOUS about picking up another back. They are looking for a back like Dillon. I don't know who is out there that fits the Dillon mold. I can't think of anyone. They are also looking for the future Kevin Faulk too. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

So who's out there that would fit that Dillon mold? I can't think of anyone. Kevin Jones doesn't strike me as a Dillon type of back.

Some Free agent running backs (I found this list at Scout.com)
Cedric Benson
Travis Henry
Shaun Alexander
Kevin Jones
Ron Dayne
Mike Anderson
Anthony Thomas
Verron Haynes
Samkon Gado
Josh Scobey

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I know this has nothing to do with Brett Farve but thought I would post it anyway.

Scout.com is offering free access for the long weekend.

-------------------------
Beginning today through July 6th, premium stories are free at PatriotsInsider.com.

This means you can check out all our past and current player feature stories, hot news,and the entire Scout Player Database, and there's absolutely no cost to you. You will have access to the entire PatriotsInsider.com site (with the exception of premium message boards, audio and video, and our baseball network) as well as the entire Scout.com Network!

No credit card is required. Some areas may require you to register, but it's fast, easy, and costs you nothing!

Visit the following link to get started:

http://nwe.scout.com/?refid=8266

Thank you,
PatriotsInsider.com and Scout.com Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back