PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Something small I noticed on Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

emoney_33

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
In the fourth quarter, on at least 2 or 3 occasions, the clock did not stop when the player went out of bounds. Since teams can't stop even our 2nd string offense from scoring, keep that damn clock rolling and get the game over with lol.

In the fourth quarter, on at least 2 or 3 occasions, the clock did not stop when the player went out of bounds. Since teams can't stop even our 2nd string offense from scoring, keep that damn clock rolling and get the game over with lol.

Was it inside 5 minutes?

It is possible that that was the case but the clock does not always stop when a player goes out of bounds. I do not know what plays you are talking about but I will say the rule as I understand it. When a defender forces someone out of bounds the clock does not stop. If the player with the ball goes out of bounds on their own the clock stops.

As I saw it explained on the NFL Network is if the player with the ball is going backwards after contact (Pushed out of bounds) the clock keeps rolling.

It is possible that that was the case but the clock does not always stop when a player goes out of bounds. I do not know what plays you are talking about but I will say the rule as I understand it. When a defender forces someone out of bounds the clock does not stop. If the player with the ball goes out of bounds on their own the clock stops.

As I saw it explained on the NFL Network is if the player with the ball is going backwards after contact (Pushed out of bounds) the clock keeps rolling.

You learn something new every day. I was not aware that the clock didn't stop when a defender pushes the player out of bounds. I can't recall the exact plays I noticed it, but that is more than likely the case. Thanks.

The player was pushed out of bounds a couple of yards behind the farthest point he had reached so the refs gave them forward progress which means the play stopped in bounds- so no clock stoppage

I don't know what the exact rules are this year, but over the years they have tweaked the clock rules multiple times. Not for any competitive reasons, but to make sure 5.6 million commercials can be run in the 3 hour window

The clock no longer stops for plays OOB unless they are inside of 2(?) minutes. Well, it does "stop" but then it is restarted once the ball is set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back