PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Something I'm still trying to understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why the myth has been allowed to perpetuate itself. Does it just sound better that way? I admit that I'm guilty of not knowing this, which, considering that I'm usually really good about researching something before I post, makes me feel like an ass now.:(

I believed it too. Makes Brady seem even more the unlikely hero. But apparently not.

He's felt that way for 2 years now.

Completely different analysis. For two years he's felt that Cassel is the best option for the 2d quarterback. That's another whole calculation that takes a lot more into account.

I'm not debating that BB thinks Cassel this week is the best option to win. I'm just debating whether that means as much as people seem to think.

I was reading about Cassell today in some of the local (NYC) news rags. Actually he is an interesting guy.. He to me at least gave the aura of nerd - ala the Mannings. But he is more a true jock type - he was thought of as a Lynch type in HS and played some safety. His brothers are pro baseball players..

He is an all-around athlete much like Connell. So all hope is not lost with Cassell. He does bring an athletic dimension that Tom does not - plus he is smart and has a big arm. You can see why he was drafted..

Smart, Big Arm, good athlete.. He just didn't get to play much. I think he is closer to Ray Lucas then people realize. We could win some games with his all-around play.

Pete

Last edited:
I wonder why the myth has been allowed to perpetuate itself. Does it just sound better that way? I admit that I'm guilty of not knowing this, which, considering that I'm usually really good about researching something before I post, makes me feel like an ass now.:(

I think it's because of the ludicrous promises college coaches make to players before they step foot on campus.

The whole situation was unfair, and this was the bone idiot Lloyd threw to Henson.

Matt Gutierrez suffered similarly when Lloyd promised the world to Chad Henne.

College coaches sometimes make bad decisions when it comes to the QB situation.

Don't feel dumb that people highlight the ridiculous of Carr's decision rather than the actuality of it.

Being a starter in college and first round pick really doesn't mean much.

Ryan Leaf was a #1 pick.

Heath Shuler was a #1 pick.

Todd Marinovich was a #1 pick.

Patrick Ramsey was a #1 pick.

Andre Ware was a #1 pick.

Akili Smith was a #1 pick.

David Klingler was a #1 pick.

...I can keep going with this, but I think you get my point.
you forgot , david carr,alex smith, joey harrington,kyle boller,j.p. losman,rex grossman,

you forgot , david carr,alex smith, joey harrington,kyle boller,j.p. losman,rex grossman,

In fairness, I did say I could keep going:D

All you point out may be true, but he still hasn't started a game since high school.

He started 3 games in the pre-season. After a breif appearance by Brady in the Miami game he played 3+ Qtrs. The only thing he hasn't done since HS is start and complete a game.

Matt Cassel hasn't started a regular season game since 1999. Some people think that playing games actually helps improve one's skill set.

Cassel backed up Heisman trophy winners at USC (with Chow as coach) and Brady in the NFL. I would argue that he may be qualified to be the Assistant Quarterback Coach.

He MAY do fine at QB. But he hasn't actually played the position since High School.
We're dooooooooommmmmed.
tired-sleeping-smiley-17372.gif

He also played tight end at USC...he is athletic.,,and he can run when needed.

Has anyone braught up the fact that, thus far (and I'm looking at the '05 Miami game and last Sunday) Cassell has had more success at the NFL level than the guy that kept him on the bench at USC, Hollywood Matt Leinart?

Cassel has started and won more games than Leinert? Cassel is 0-0, and will bring us to the SB!!

Has anyone braught up the fact that, thus far (and I'm looking at the '05 Miami game and last Sunday) Cassell has had more success at the NFL level than the guy that kept him on the bench at USC, Hollywood Matt Leinart?

Cassel has started and won more games than Leinert? Cassel is 0-0, and will bring us to the SB!!

Cassel is 1-0, he didn't start, but that win is his.

Leinart has 16 starts over 2 seasons and is 7-9. And his team is the Arizona Cardinals, so I do not know if you can label Cassel and he as similarly situated. The last time I remember the Pats playing the Cardinals, I recall the Pats' defense chasing around anything in the QB position put on the field and at least 2 QBs running for their lives.

The fact is college experience matters, but it is not pro experience as it is slower and tends to be more simplistic. Cassel has practiced on a pro offense against a pro defense for several years, so I will take that experience over college experience. If he has the skill set for the position, he will succeed. His resume doesn't really matter at this point as he already has the job. I'm hoping he's the man and shows he can play.

Last edited:
What do you think Cassel's record would have been if he were the QB of Arizona in games when Leinert started? Surely, he would be 10-6 ro 11-5! :)

Cassel is 1-0, he didn't start, but that win is his.

If we're going to give Cassel that win, shouldn't we also then give him the loss against Miami in 2006 when he played the entire game except for one series?

If we're going to give Cassel that win, shouldn't we also then give him the loss against Miami in 2006 when he played the entire game except for one series?

Absolutely!

What do you think Cassel's record would have been if he were the QB of Arizona in games when Leinert started? Surely, he would be 10-6 ro 11-5! :)

10-6 or 11-5? No. I suspect 16-0. It is a little known fact that Cassel was kept on the bench because Belichick didn't want to have to explain his superhuman abilities during the Spygate drama. I have heard it told he can bench press 850 pounds, run a 3.8 40, and throw the ball into the Meadowlands from Foxborough. He does not even need an offensive line to play effectively. He is kept on the roster because had he quarterbacked for another NFL franchise his presence alone would have upset the balance of power in the NFL, and if he played for a division rival the Pats would have gone in as a wild card every year he played.

Matt Cassel is in fact the quarterback equivalent of Bill Brasky (you may check the link if unfamiliar with the Saturday Night Live reference). To Matt Cassel!!!

And before I get flame sprayed for (1) lunacy or (2) mocking Matt Cassel, that was an attempt at humor. Go Matt, thrash the Bretts!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back