PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Something I'd like to see from Mayo

Status
Not open for further replies.

slash83

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Im not knockin the guy I think he's awesome and should win DROY when its all said and done. I just hope he could get a sack or INT before the season ends that would be awesome.

Im not knockin the guy I think he's awesome and should win DROY when its all said and done. I just hope he could get a sack or INT before the season ends that would be awesome.

What you are really trying to say is that Mayo is NOTmaking enough big plays for you?

Last edited:
What you are really trying to say is that Mayo is NOTmaking enough big plays for you?

He's been our best LB and has far exceeded expectations as a rookie. Just saying a pic or sack would top off an incredible season for him. To answer your question has he not made enough big plays for me, he has far excceded my expectations of him and I would still think nothing short of an incredible season for him. Would I like to see more impact plays from him like an INT or sack yeah I would and im sure im not the only one here who would.

He doesn't rush the passer enough at the ILB position to really be counted upon for a sack. He has applied pressure when he has blitzed.

I'm not looking for INTs, a nice pass deflection is fine by me - or even better, not seeing passes completed in his area. He's gotten way better at the POA against the run as the season has gone on and also improved tremendously in coverage. Big plays or not, he's been great for us.

He's progressing nicely, 'nuff said.

This is one of those statistic request, in reality it does not make any difference... as long as he does what is expected of him in any specific game plan.. all of this will come as he matures, and we have a better D backfield.

I have only one request of Mayo: Don't get hurt!!

I have only one request of Mayo: Don't get hurt!!

Well said.

And good point about the DBs. For an ILB to get an INT, it should be the case that the QB is making a risky throw, and he should only be doing that if the throws to the DBs were even riskier.

When are the WRs THAT well-covered this year?

Tough to ask Mayo for more at this stage. His play has been better than anyone should have expected from a rookie.

He's not a guy who would be classified as a playmaker yet but there is no reason to think that won't come based on what we've seen.

The group of guys whose big plays personified the defense during the championship years are either gone (Law, Willie Mac) or on their way out (Rodney, Tedy, Vrabel). Finding playmakers for the back 8 should be the top priority in the offseason.

He's out in coverage most of the time on passing plays ... it is what it is and he's done a great job.

i think mayo will be great in the cold weather games. i saw him play with the vols against my georgia bulldogs in about 40 degree weather with sleet and he got 4 sacks. i know that was college and it wasnt the nfl, but based on his statistics i think he'll do great v.s the cardinals

In the last 2 games, I noticed that Mayo is playing much better in pass coverage. He appears to be in the right place to make plays. I think this may have something to do with Seau giving guidence on the field. Hopefully he would progress enough to make big plays.

In the last 2 games, I noticed that Mayo is playing much better in pass coverage. He appears to be in the right place to make plays. I think this may have something to do with Seau giving guidence on the field. Hopefully he would progress enough to make big plays.
Seau may be helping, but Mayo has been steadily improving in coverage all season so I'm inclined to credit coaching and film study more.

Look at the teams they've played in the last two games, and you'll have your answer. If you really want to evaluate his progress against the pass, look to the Buffalo game next week.

Seau may be helping, but Mayo has been steadily improving in coverage all season so I'm inclined to credit coaching and film study more.

I agree that most of the credit should go to coaching and film study. All I am saying that there appears to be less pass completion in Mayo vicinity since Seau has been on the field with him. As Deus Irae appointed out that it could be that Raider/Seahawks are not very good in the passing game. We'll have better gauge of Mayo's progress next couple of weeks.

I thought Mayo has exceeded everyone's expectation. It feels like he's been in this defense forever. He's put a lot of vets to shame.

MAYO has been an instant plug n play starter. One of the steadiest players on the D. You can't ask much more from a rookie. The sack stat is overrated anyways, particularly for ILBs. If your job is to rush the passer and you play DE in a 4-3 or OLB in a 3-4, then sacks might come into the discussion as an indicator of how well you are doing your job of pressuring the QB. Otherwise, it's not worth looking at to gauge how well a defensive player is playing.

MAYO has been an instant plug n play starter. One of the steadiest players on the D. You can't ask much more from a rookie. The sack stat is overrated anyways, particularly for ILBs. If your job is to rush the passer and you play DE in a 4-3 or OLB in a 3-4, then sacks might come into the discussion as an indicator of how well you are doing your job of pressuring the QB. Otherwise, it's not worth looking at to gauge how well a defensive player is playing.

If the sack stat is over rated for ILB's where would you rank the TFL stat for ILB's? My old college coach used to say that he can find any number of guys that make tackles 4 plus yards down field, but finding run stoppers that can make tackles for no gains or TFL's is extremely hard.

he said he would like to see him get an INT or fumble recovery. whats the big deal?

is this not the same thing that has been said about Bru the last few years....not enough big plays. Big plays for anyone are few and far between solid consistant play is much more important. Think about it even in Strahans record season what was his percentage of sacks per play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes