Welcome to PatsFans.com

Something I noticed...

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by ELOrocks17, Oct 2, 2007.

1. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am watching the game again this morning, and i noticed that 90% of Bengals tackles were below the knee--is there something in that?

2. nowayback

nowayback Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

and they were really piling on after tackles...i wonder if they didnt hurt their own players.

3. ironwasp

ironwasp Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

It's tough to run when someone's hanging round your ankles. Playing rugby we were always taught to tackle low, because it's the most effective way of bringing someone down. On the other hand it often allows a player's momentum to carry them forward an extra yard or two, and I guess in football that can make a big difference. In rugby, generally, it doesn't matter.

4. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wouldn't that be the best way to injure a player?

5. onegameatatime

onegameatatime Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I played a bit of wing forward (rugby; kind of like a LB) and we tried to tackle "low" meaning shoulder to the thighs, wrapping, and driving back ... not diving for the knees (as a later poster seems to have interpreted the comment). Football players often make tackles by taking out the legs coming at an angle from the side.

6. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There really is no padding below the knee unless they wear shinguards

7. xmarkd400x

xmarkd400x 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

It's the easiest way to tackle a player. If you tackle high, a good runner will shake you off on his way to the end zone.

8. ironwasp

ironwasp Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

No. Done properly it is the safest way to tackle. I coach now and the way you are advised to teach it is "cheek to cheek" ie arms wrap around legs and the tacklers head goes around behind the ball carrier's backside and you use their momentum to help bring them down. Tackles generally cause injuries in rugby when not done in that way.