PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Something I noticed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ELOrocks17

I am watching the game again this morning, and i noticed that 90% of Bengals tackles were below the knee--is there something in that?

and they were really piling on after tackles...i wonder if they didnt hurt their own players.

I am watching the game again this morning, and i noticed that 90% of Bengals tackles were below the knee--is there something in that?

It's tough to run when someone's hanging round your ankles. Playing rugby we were always taught to tackle low, because it's the most effective way of bringing someone down. On the other hand it often allows a player's momentum to carry them forward an extra yard or two, and I guess in football that can make a big difference. In rugby, generally, it doesn't matter.

It's tough to run when someone's hanging round your ankles. Playing rugby we were always taught to tackle low, because it's the most effective way of bringing someone down. On the other hand it often allows a player's momentum to carry them forward an extra yard or two, and I guess in football that can make a big difference. In rugby, generally, it doesn't matter.

Wouldn't that be the best way to injure a player?

I played a bit of wing forward (rugby; kind of like a LB) and we tried to tackle "low" meaning shoulder to the thighs, wrapping, and driving back ... not diving for the knees (as a later poster seems to have interpreted the comment). Football players often make tackles by taking out the legs coming at an angle from the side.

I played a bit of wing forward (rugby; kind of like a LB) and we tried to tackle "low" meaning shoulder to the thighs, wrapping, and driving back ... not diving for the knees (as a later poster seems to have interpreted the comment). Football players often make tackles by taking out the legs coming at an angle from the side.
There really is no padding below the knee unless they wear shinguards

It's the easiest way to tackle a player. If you tackle high, a good runner will shake you off on his way to the end zone.

Wouldn't that be the best way to injure a player?

No. Done properly it is the safest way to tackle. I coach now and the way you are advised to teach it is "cheek to cheek" ie arms wrap around legs and the tacklers head goes around behind the ball carrier's backside and you use their momentum to help bring them down. Tackles generally cause injuries in rugby when not done in that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back