PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Something about the Mangini PC has been bugging me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Box_O_Rocks said:
It was a press conference for a guy trying to make a good impression on his drooling fan base. No reason to read disrespect for New England in his remarks, unless your warming up for the 2006 season, then its okay! :D

Are they drooling in anticipation, or simply drooling idiots? :D

mtbykr said:
I think the point people were trying to make was that he was taking the "quick buck" instead of waiting for a better opportunity. It's not like it was either take the extra money now or you will never have this opportunity again----everyone knows there would have been different coaching options every offseason. Instead of holding back to see what else came along, he jumped at the first thing----------------of course the jets could be where he wanted to be all along!

My take is that EM is repeating mistakes that BB already made. BB was the hot HC prospect coming off Super Bowl XXV and he jumped at the first HC job that he was offered. He walked into a living nightmare in Cleveland! Huge problems with the attitudes of the players, a bad situation with a stubborn owner- who behind the scenes was planning to move the team, a rabid fan base that turned on him almost instantly. When it was all said and done in Cleveland, there were not many people in the NFL that ever thought BB would get another shot at a HC position.

When BB landed in NY with the Jets and Parcells, things were not much better. Their owner was about to die and the future of the orgainzation was in serious question, just like it had been in Cleveland. This is the main reason that BB walked away from the Jets. Incidentally, EM was with him in NY while all of this was going on!

It's just a shame that EM didn't take a lesson from his boss and build his rep as a DC while waiting for a better opportunity to come along. When BB came here, he had a list of the "powers" he wanted to have as an HC and Bob Kraft trusted him that much to give him those things. In NY, EM can't make a long distance phone call without permission! I have no ill will toward Eric, but I see this ending in disaster within two seasons! He will end up with Nick Saban or back here will BB.

PatsWorldChamps said:
how many coaches in the nfl do you think pick their players and asst coaches?

I don't know of a head coach, other than Mangini, who doesn't get to choose who his assistants are going to be.

DaBruinz said:
I don't know of a head coach, other than Mangini, who doesn't get to choose who his assistants are going to be.

BB would fail too given the restraints EM accepted.

Bill's Girl said:
It's just a shame that EM didn't take a lesson from his boss and build his rep as a DC while waiting for a better opportunity to come along.

But would BB be the coach he is today without the Cleveland experience? (Or would Shanahan be the coach he is without the Oakland experience?) It may be that you learn more and faster from your own mistakes than somebody else's.

Let's assume the worst-case scenario. EM has a baptism by fire in NY, "leads" the team to two losing seasons while holding no real power, and is canned. Now what? Let's see...he's a household name, has $10 million in his pocket, and is largely absolved of blame by the media because the team tied his hands. He's still just 36 years old and has his pick of coordinator positions. And when the next round of HC vacancies comes, he's a whole lot wiser than the deer in the headlights we saw this week.

I don't think it's at all unreasonable to say, "I'll take the learning experience for 10 million dollars, please!"

All that being said, not being allowed to choose your own staff is preposterous.

patchick said:
But would BB be the coach he is today without the Cleveland experience? (Or would Shanahan be the coach he is without the Oakland experience?) It may be that you learn more and faster from your own mistakes than somebody else's.
Let's assume the worst-case scenario. EM has a baptism by fire in NY, "leads" the team to two losing seasons while holding no real power, and is canned. Now what? Let's see...he's a household name, has $10 million in his pocket, and is largely absolved of blame by the media because the team tied his hands. He's still just 36 years old and has his pick of coordinator positions. And when the next round of HC vacancies comes, he's a whole lot wiser than the deer in the headlights we saw this week.

I don't think it's at all unreasonable to say, "I'll take the learning experience for 10 million dollars, please!"

All that being said, not being allowed to choose your own staff is preposterous.

Bingo..

He'll:

1. Get smoked in a rediculous situation...with a BS organization.

2. Be set financially.

3. May or may not make a comeback.

At least he will get his first major failure out of the way...at the Jets expense.

It's gotta be a load of Mangini's mind not to have to come up with schemes to stop Pennington any more.

That must have been keeping him up at nights. The HC job of the Jets will be a breeze in comparison to THAT!

(in case you couldn't tell, I'm being sarcastic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back