PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Something about the Mangini PC has been bugging me

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if this was talked about, but on the one clip they had on ESPN, Mangini said something to the fact of: "I'd rather be hear coaching the Jets than coaching against them."

That comment just dumbfounded me. There were a couple of other comments that seemed like they were swipes at the NE organization as well.

Did anyone else catch this?

It was a press conference for a guy trying to make a good impression on his drooling fan base. No reason to read disrespect for New England in his remarks, unless your warming up for the 2006 season, then its okay! :D

I agree with Box, but know where you're coming from, when I heard those words come out of his mouth I chuckled out loud. :)

Man, I'd rather be coaching Noodle-Arm than coaching against Noodle-Arm. :rolleyes:

If the reports are true that he can't pick the players or asst. coaches, what makes him think that he's really coaching the Jest.

This whole situation gets more wacky by the day, even for the Jest.

I'm starting to feel sorry for jest fans- nahh!

well

the whole PC was a little weird. It seemed to me that he was very uncomfortable and just spouted off whatever he thought he could to make a good impression!

DaBruinz said:
Not sure if this was talked about, but on the one clip they had on ESPN, Mangini said something to the fact of: "I'd rather be hear coaching the Jets than coaching against them."

That comment just dumbfounded me. There were a couple of other comments that seemed like they were swipes at the NE organization as well.

Did anyone else catch this?
Yeah, but it sounded to me alike a guy who just got hired froma nother team saying he's glad to be coaching that team, that his new team is so good he's glad he's on their side.

Unless he actually said NE (or ARI or MIA or NYG or etc etc etc) there is no reason for anyone to think he meant one team in particular rather than the NFL at large.

Every assistant coaches dream is to be a head coach. He is living his dream. He didn't leave becasue he didn't like the Pats. He left because he wanted to be a head coach. Maybe he also likes being paid 2.5 mil a year instead of 750K as well.

It was something like "I've coached with them and against them and I'd rather be coaching with them". I don't think it was intended quite how it sounded but screw him. Just like Milloy and Law, he went for the opportunity - good for him - but he won't be feeling so good after we play them.

He is just trying to win over the fan base.

Come on, if in his first presser as coach, he came out and said "We are gonna fold to the Pats," I don't think the fans and owners would be too happy.

See me day after first Jets/Pats game to see his thoughts then.

Mangini.......is......screwed.

He went for the quick buck...against Bill Belickick's advice.

I do not believe there was any animosity, only good advice being ignored.

He better buy a chef's hat 'cause he's gonna' be cookin' someone else's groceries.

I bet Herm feels like he just had a very large bowel movement.

i dont think anything was weird.

i'd rather be the HC of the jets for $2M per year, than be a DC for the pats for $600K/yr.

How simple can it be? gotta feed your family.

Last edited:
i'd like to meet the one message-board clown who would pass up a $1.5M raise per year, for 4 years, under ANY circumstances. because, i guarantee ANY poster on this board would fold like a french omelet over the chance to make that kind of money.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
If the reports are true that he can't pick the players or asst. coaches, what makes him think that he's really coaching the Jest.

This whole situation gets more wacky by the day, even for the Jest.

I'm starting to feel sorry for jest fans- nahh!
how many coaches in the nfl do you think pick their players and asst coaches?

Captain Cliche said:
He went for the quick buck...against Bill Belickick's advice.

I do not believe there was any animosity, only good advice being ignored.

He better buy a chef's hat 'cause he's gonna' be cookin' someone else's groceries.

I bet Herm feels like he just had a very large bowel movement.
quick buck? he gets $10 million dollars if they fire him tomorrow... he's 35 years old... I think that is a VERY smart move... worst case, is he is a 4 year vet head coach with $10 million dollars earnings at age 39? i'd wear a hat from any of the village people for that kinda dough.

Last edited:
PatsWorldChamps said:
quick buck? he gets $10 million dollars if they fire him tomorrow... he's 35 years old... I think that is a VERY smart move... worst case, is he is a 4 year vet head coach with $10 million dollars earnings at age 39? i'd wear a hat from any of the village people for that kinda dough.
But would you kiss them? :eek:

well

PatsWorldChamps said:
i'd like to meet the one message-board clown who would pass up a $1.5M raise per year, for 4 years, under ANY circumstances. because, i guarantee ANY poster on this board would fold like a french omelet over the chance to make that kind of money.

I think the point people were trying to make was that he was taking the "quick buck" instead of waiting for a better opportunity. It's not like it was either take the extra money now or you will never have this opportunity again----everyone knows there would have been different coaching options every offseason. Instead of holding back to see what else came along, he jumped at the first thing----------------of course the jets could be where he wanted to be all along!

mtbykr said:
I think the point people were trying to make was that he was taking the "quick buck" instead of waiting for a better opportunity. It's not like it was either take the extra money now or you will never have this opportunity again----everyone knows there would have been different coaching options every offseason. Instead of holding back to see what else came along, he jumped at the first thing----------------of course the jets could be where he wanted to be all along!
you wouldn't have done the same thing?

PatsWorldChamps said:
you wouldn't have done the same thing?

Any OC/DC/Asst Coach in the league would have done the same thing.

Even if he goes 9-39 in 3 yrs with the Jets, there will always be room in the NFL coaching ranks for a guy with 3 rings. EM is set for life no matter what way you slice it.

Uh...no matter what I think,I'm not really THAT moronic to call 10 million bucks "quick".

If I'm 35 and some team wants to pay me 10 mil I'd have to be certifiable NOT to take it. Where's the downside? He fails he gets a job as a D co-ordinator anyway and gets another shot in his 40's at the top job somewhere. This was really a no brainer

PatsWorldChamps said:

The pay raise is great for Eric. But my thoughts on why he left is that sometimes a man just knows when he wants to be the boss and feels confindent in his abilities to do so. And a young guy like Eric has the energy to believe that he can make the Jets a good team again. I know that they are a banged up team, but when they were healthy in the last few years, they were able to compete with good teams most every sunday. But I agree with anyone who says that he is taking this job with baggage.

PatsWorldChamps said:
how many coaches in the nfl do you think pick their players and asst coaches?

About 99% pick their own Asst Coaches and over 75% have last say on players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back