Welcome to PatsFans.com

Someone please explain this to me....

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Kid~Brady, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Kid~Brady

Kid~Brady In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Mitt Romney Tax Plan: Study Shows Deduction Caps Don't Pay For Tax Cuts

I ask this because I truly want to know and understand his proposals for tax cuts. I know there are plenty of great political minds on this board that can comprehend this much better than I could attempt. Throughout the race, I've always stated that Romney has been vague on the details for his tax cuts. I don't think I've seen one anaylst that agrees with his proposals.

I just want the best explanation from you guys. Does his math and arithmetic really add up or does it not like suggested?

link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/18/mitt-romney-tax-plan_n_1975554.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +371 / 11 / -28

3. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +410 / 4 / -10

fact is that the dems are blowing smoke

basically, romney would simplify the tax code

conceptually, why is it that so much taxes get taken, and then there is so many loopholes to get it back...why not just set a flst level or even a staggered level that would represent the same ratios of taxes paid on income and then call it a day?

you do understand that it is democrats who are against a flat rate, or for that matter, any simplification of the tax code simply because it interferes with their mission to control as much of an individuals personal income as possible in the name of providing services to THEIR constituents (ie, buying their votes)

there is absolutely nothing noble in the pursuits put on by the liberals

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2012
  4. Kid~Brady

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Thanks Illegal.

I've actually always been all for flat tax rates, I think thats as "fair" as we can be. Of course, the very wealthy still end up paying more money but that doesn't mean they pay higher taxes.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2012
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Great question. Simple answer.

The reason you have to ask is because the Romney campaign hasn't released any details. The closest thing to a detail was during this last debate when Mitt litterally threw out a made up figure so you can choose which deductions you can accept. I'll quote my man:

He is litterally making it up as he goes along.

3 weeks away from an election, and he still doesn't know what he will do with your taxes. We know more about his tax returns than we do his tax plan, and thats amazing.

You have to ask because he hasn't told you.

6. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +410 / 4 / -10

LOL.....just like barack "I CUT TAXES 18 TIMES" obama

7. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

We have to pass the plan to find out what's in it!

Pelosi: we have to pass the health care bill so that you can find out what is in it - YouTube

Oh, that's only allowed for one team? #$%#$% replacement refs.

8. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

(slow golf clap)

You've had a few posts to answer the question posed by Kid~Brady, in both posts, you have done little more than spew talking points, and try to jab. Kid~Brady is asking what most level-headed americans are asking.

well...?

Even Mitt Romney can't tell you if his numbers add up, because even Mitt Romney doesn't know what his numbers are. The math doesn't exist, beacuse he hasn't told anyone what he would cut, who gets deductions etc. He pulled a number out of thin air during a Presidential debate. He prepared for this debate, has been running for well over a year, 5 if you count the 2008 election and in that time....Mitt Romney has yet to come up with a concrete tax plan with numbers, figures, and a list of deductions. This is a SELF declared BUISNESSMAN, who somehow can't tell you how he will do buisness.

I guarantee you that the next debate, Mitt will have brand new figures, brand new percentages, and brand new stances...wait and see.

9. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Congress' Job is to mold and shape laws as they move through the process. We knew what was in that bill, because they were debating it for over a year. You've gotta be kidding me?

Asking a president his plan during an election is clearly within the rights of any able minded voter. A presidential nominee, who is claiming to cut deductions but not telling you what deductions he wil cut is selling snake oil.

10. The Brandon Five

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

You just admitted that it would be Congress who would mold and shape the details and then demanded that he name them ahead of time. Brilliant.

11. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -1

Actually, all politicians are against it. At least the ones in a position to change it. They are all rich and all take advantage of those loop holes, all of them.

Look at when the democrats yelled how they would investigate Romney's investment plan because it had more money in it than was possible... He used loopholes to do that, but they never really investigated it because they all do the same thing and do not want those holes closed. The only reason they even said it is because that is the thing to do these days, once you say you will investigate this or that, then people assume the person being investigated did something wrong. All these investigations are simply political tools to attack the opposition.

As for tax codes, no one is going to put in a flat tax unless the they can also have a way for the rich to avoid it. Politicians are all rich...

12. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Admitted? Of frickin course thats how things happen. According to your logic, a president should have no stances on anything, he should just sign or not sign laws. Let congress work it out.

WTF?

On one of this, and every campigns biggest topics, TAXES, the self declared buisness success has yet to tell you how his prooposed plan actually works. Its kind of stunning. He has, however, told you how the details are too much to explain to you, and you should just trust him.

Mitt Romney is trying to sell me something behind door #3, I ain't buying it.

13. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Betcha get a lot of that on the Price is Right.

14. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I see what you did there....

15. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Couldn't go with the real quote....as.....well.... you get.

16. The Brandon Five

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

But you are buying whatever Barack has behind door #103.

17. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

He is giving #s.

Door #103 is made of glass because I can see what is behind it

If you make $249,999/year, your taxes will still stay at the same level. Anything you make over that will be taxed at the same rate they were taxed during the 90's.

Thats pretty easy to understand.

I often hear the argument, mostly from conservatives, that we need to know what the future tax codes will look like so the job creators can prepare for the future when creating jobs. What does it say about the current nominee when he can't give employers a fair vision of what will happen if they cast a vote for him? It invalidates that particualr talking point, if you support Romney.

18. DocHoliday

DocHoliday In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +82 / 1 / -1

Behind door 103 is the policies we've seen the last four years.

We know what we're getting. And you'll go "FOUR YEARS OF FAILUREEEEE" to which I'll say four years of better than it could have been.

I'll take the devil I know, not the guy that's changed his positions on everything in the spam of ten years. I mean, do you really think Romney has a position?

It's so transparent the guy is playing to what he'll get elected. All politicians do it of course, but brazenness with which he's done it is shocking.

"I am severely conservative"

LOL

19. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

It's hard to know what the intricate & specific details are, cuz he hasn't really mentioned any. To me, from a general standpoint, I'm not too crazy about his proposal. I think seeking a 20% across the board cut, paid for by closing loopholes, seems a little too good to believe. At least without some specifics to work with. What I do agree with though, is the general premise that rates aren't as relevent if there are innumerable deductions at people's disposal. For example, what good is a 30% rate, if hardly anyone ever pays it? I think the general goal is to create a "firmer" rate system. One where rates are lowered, and deductions are as well. I think too many people focus on the rate segment of the tax code, when the only number that really matters, is the actual amount people pay. Consider your cell phone or cable bill for example. Companies advertise $49 or $99 a month which sounds nice, but in the end the actual amount you pay is a lot more. Tax rates in essence work that way, but in reverse. The rate is 30%, but by the time someone is done deducting, they're actually paying a lot less.

Basically it's almost impossible to disect his proposal without more specifics. So all we can do is speculate that his aim will be to firm up rates, by eliminated deductions and "loopholes" that lots of people enjoy. It could be as simple as not allowing people earning over $X to take a deduction, or only allowing a filer to deduct a maximum dollar amount. I think the general idea is one that makes a lot of sense (I've been saying it for years), but without specifics it's a "where's the beef" type deal.

It's not strictly a democrat thing. Both parties have their sacred deductions that they will fight tooth and nail for. Furthermore, both parties are lobbied heavily be the different special interest groups who want to preserve, expand, and create more deductions that benefit their different clients. Each party loves to manipulate the flow of money, and the behavior of the american people.

Some people feel a flat tax is regressive, or unfair. That 5-10-25% of a $10k income, hurts that lower earner more than 5-10-25% of $100k earner would, on up to 5-10-25% of a $1 million earner, etc. There are lots of different ways to define "Fair" in my opinion. Fair could mean everyone paying the same amount. It could mean everyone paying according to the services they use. It can mean everyone paying according to what they can afford. Ask 100 people and you'll get alot of different definations. There's some credence to alot of those views, even those that run opposite of each other. To me, a simpler code, with a smaller set of firmer rates, set across a easy to identify income brackets is the easiest answer. Start at/around the poverty rate, and go up with simple numbers. At $25k you pay 5%, $50k you 10%, $100k you pay 15%, $250k you pay $20%, $1 million you pay 25%, etc. Not that these numbers and rates are exactly as I'd have them, but you get the jist. The bottom line is that a flat tax isn't ever going to happen, but a "flatter" tax certainly could.

I don't think he's making it up as he's going along, but without specifics that charge is certainly valid. Politicians are intentionally vague, whenever possible. Specifics allow for increased analysis and criticisms. It's why people run on Hope & Change, or I'll create Jobs, Jobs, Jobs.

I think Romney is smart enough to know that whatever he proposes now, will never be accepted in the senate (should he win). Any plan he proposes were he to be president, would be a negotiated deal between the different houses, and parties.

Touche!

Seriously though, can anyone really believe that such a mentally challenged soul was speaker of the house? Will the country ever recover from the last 12 years of "leadership" we've recieved from both parties? I have serious doubts we ever will.

20. Kid~Brady

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

To be fair, we've had 12 years of failure now then.