PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Someone must know why

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriotNMP43

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Why are solid veterans like John Lynch, Rosie Colvin, Junior Seau(and Ty Law before the Jets got him) to name a few not being called in to help a hurting defense?

This Patriots team is getting pretty good offensively with the emergence of Matt Cassel, why not make the D as good as it can be and try to win another ring?

It seems like BB is scrapping the season, playing with what he has, assessing his rookies in big games and playing for next year. Sure this will make them a better team NEXT YEAR but why not see how far we can go THIS YEAR?

Anyone else feel this year is worth a try?

Please don't tell me the DB's we got left are better than Lynch and Law.

Why are solid veterans like John Lynch, Rosie Colvin, Junior Seau(and Ty Law before the Jets got him) to name a few not being called in to help a hurting defense?

This Patriots team is getting pretty good offensively with the emergence of Matt Cassel, why not make the D as good as it can be and try to win another ring?

It seems like BB is scrapping the season, playing with what he has, assessing his rookies in big games and playing for next year. Sure this will make them a better team NEXT YEAR but why not see how far we can go THIS YEAR?

I have a feeling you answered your own question. Sucession planning.

Isn't it obvious? Belichick has lost his edge and isn't interested in bringing in players who can help this team.

:rolleyes:

Weren't we all saying the same thing about why he wasn't bringing in a veteran backup QB even after Brady went down hurt?

Last edited:
I will say that Lynch and Law are yesterday's children. Neither is worth much...

quick rebuilding year perhaps?

and what box o rocks said

I will say that Lynch and Law are yesterday's children. Neither is worth much...

Oh yeah opposing offenses cringe seeing guys like Mike Richardson and James Sanders. They are way better players than Law and Lynch.

Kraft has him held down to the 29th highest payroll in the league...rebuilding year/bulding Patriots Place year? LOL:D

Oh yeah opposing offenses cringe seeing guys like Mike Richardson and James Sanders. They are way better players than Law and Lynch.
I know, the way Law shut down Jabar Gaffney in single coverage was awe inspiring, I haven't seen play like that since Mike Richardson filled in for O'Neal. We also know BB cut James Sanders for the final cutdown and kept John Lynch - oops, my bad, though I'm stunned with it being week 12 and no one has signed Lynch. :rolleyes:

I think this season smelled like rebuilding as soon as Brady went down. The injuries to Seymour and Thomas and the "vacation" for Maroney are further evidence.

I have no doubt Bill is working the guys he has toward a championship, but I don't think he's going to call a season with a probable winning record under these circumstances while being able to diagnose the whole team, particularly the D to a tee for the upcoming FA and draft.

Winning the AFC or even more would be a testament to coaching, but he's simply not willing to try it through borrowed band-aids with such a glowing opportunity to excel with a serious work in progress and no TB.

I also doubt he'd be wrecked over a solid season and a longer than usual break. Of course he's not thinking that way, but maybe a longer pause will make for an amazing year next year.

Of course, the Pats could steamroll the Fish and stomp the rest of the schedule like the Cloverfield monster on the way to the most unlikely SB win of Bill's career. And then a number of us will be nibbling crow in the quietest places in our hearts...

Last edited:

My guess would be old, injured, or both.

Ty Law has a prorated minimum contract to grab receivers jerseys for the Jets, that should tell you something.

Our problem is not a lack of experience at these positions IMO.

Yes, let's make our defense as good as we can by adding guys no one else wants, save for Ty Law - at the veteran minimum.

It's not enough for the Patriots (or any team) to want to add these players. The players also have to want to come to New England and agree to the contract terms and role that the Patriots are offering. If a Lynch or Colvin can't find a deal to their liking, maybe they decide to stay home.

Out of curiosity, who was the last mid-season, veteran addition who made a difference on a playoff team?

Lynch is done. Colvin couldn't make it in Houston, so he's either done or needs more time to heal. Law didn't seem to want to play for the Patriots. Seau is an ILB, a position that's being filled by Bruschi and the two rookies. I wanted to see Seau come back, but I can understand the logic behind deciding to ride the rookies.

Last edited:
I think this season smelled like rebuilding as soon as Brady went down. The injuries to Seymour and Thomas and the "vacation" for Maroney are further evidence.

I have no doubt Bill is working the guys he has toward a championship, but I don't think he's going to call a season with a probable winning record under these circumstances while being able to diagnose the whole team, particularly the D to a tee for the upcoming FA and draft.

Winning the AFC or even more would be a testament to coaching, but he's simply not willing to try it through borrowed band-aids with such a glowing opportunity to excel with a serious work in progress and no TB.

I also doubt he'd be wrecked over a solid season and a longer than usual break. Of course he's not thinking that way, but maybe a longer pause will make for an amazing year next year.

Of course, the Pats could steamroll the Fish and stomp the rest of the schedule like the Cloverfield monster on the way to the most unlikely SB win of Bill's career. And then a number of us will be nibbling crow in the quietest places in our hearts...

My nomination for the most depressing (and defeatist) post of the year.

I really think we are a top end pass rusher away from being a great D. we can get by with our secondary. our DL is great against the run. if we could apply pressure from the outside, with Thomas and another, thatd be great. maybe woods crable or something we already have can be that

I find it hilarious that one group of Patriots fans complain about not drafting youth and always relying on free agency, and the other thinks the team should bring in as many 35+ year old vets who no one else has signed as possible.

I can't see the words "Belichick" and "rebuilding" in the same sentence.

Last edited:
Not me, it's Belichick that is saying that, now isn't he? He probably really believes that the team is better off without them, but then Belichick doesn't have the advantages that you do for personnel evaluation, such as playing Madden and listening to Felger and Gresh on the radio.

Not me, it's Belichick that is saying that, now isn't he? He probably really believes that the team is better off without them, but then Belichick doesn't have the advantages that you do for personnel evaluation, such as playing Madden and listening to Felger and Gresh on the radio.

:ditto::ditto:

Remember the argument when Brady went down, that we needed to bring in an experienced, aka over the hill inneffective qb that no one wanted.. enough said...

I suspect that Colvin is injured, Lynch is now retired( if he was so good why didn't anyone else bite), Law is in NY for some unknown reason.. and Seau may not want to do it again..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down