PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Someone explain to me why Matt Slater is not used more often at WR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because having that "field-stretching deep threat" is overrated.

Because having that "field-stretching deep threat" is overrated.

Mainly, it changes the rest of the game from 11-on-11 to 10-on-10.

A guy who commands a deep double and changes it to 10-on-9 would be valuable, but we haven't had one of those since Moss dropped off.

Too many receivers, too little talent.

Because the Patriots do not develop their own young WR's. One of the bizarre quirks with this team. They go shopping for their WR's.

Hands and route running. What else would it be?

Right - I mean is there any doubt by now that Belichick puts the guys out there that gives them the best chance to win?

He makes his roster decisions based on what he sees in practice etc.

That doesn't mean BB doesn't think longer term for the course of a season or beyond. That in my opinion is why he's given Ochocinco so long to try to be our deep threat WR - knowing that an established deep WR that's productive will be viewed that much more of a threat than an unproven young player, even if they're just about equal.

But it's clear that, to date, no one on the roster has been able to claim what's a very clear roster gap. It's Slater's or Price's or Ocho's - or anyone else's - to claim.

Because the Patriots do not develop their own young WR's. One of the bizarre quirks with this team. They go shopping for their WR's.

Or when they did draft decent WRs (going to the early 2000s), they let them go in free agency and then you're stuck with reche caldwell as your #1.

hes got stone hands, I remember Brady targeted him another time long but he wasnt able to haul it in. I think hes someone who mainly is a burner but doesnt have much other good WR skills that you need.

Price at least as we could see in the preseason has good hands to go with his speed. and I think thats why we look more at him as someone who could be a threat for us.

but, unless brady targets you its pretty pointless to speculate. if Price/Gronk are open brady is going to go to Gronk most of the time.

I kind of hope Branch is out this game(Sick right? I know) so that we can get a look at what our other WR who havent played much can give us...its not like branch gave us much against the chiefs..

+1 for everyone who remembers all the way back to last season when his attempts to catch a football were laughable.

Stone hands is a compliment to this guy. Maybe he's changed his way, but he was seriously terrible last year.

Because Ochocinco is better than he is.

Ocho and Price and have gotten open deep as well a couple times and Brady missed them, one time Ocho just dropped it. I wouldn't say Slater is any more effective at stretching the field than those two.

Both are better than Slater at every other aspect of WR.

Because Ocho is making more money than Slater.

And, Ocho is trying to get up to speed on the offensive scheme.

As much as you are right, I couldn't care less if they go shopping for their talent or bring them up through the draft (besides the obvious contractual implications). Better yet, a nice combo of both would work wonderfully..

The problem is that they haven't done too good of a job in their WR shopping unless you go back to the 2006-2007 offseason.

I would've loved to have brought in someone mid-level and someone low-level with some more talent this yr.

I suspect that they will address it through the draft and free agency this yr, hopefully in a much more effective way.

As much as you are right, I couldn't care less if they go shopping for their talent or bring them up through the draft (besides the obvious contractual implications). Better yet, a nice combo of both would work wonderfully..

The problem is that they haven't done too good of a job in their WR shopping unless you go back to the 2006-2007 offseason.

I would've loved to have brought in someone mid-level and someone low-level with some more talent this yr.

I suspect that they will address it through the draft and free agency this yr, hopefully in a much more effective way.

As far as WRs in FA go,I expect the same old,same old

Another year to sign a washed up mid 30s to maybe late 30s WR tossed away by a team that finds him worthless anymore and will try and waste more of Kraft's money.

It is what it is and has been since 2008 ......

I have given up on Brady getting a bonafide star WR who is a FA or a valued draftee that we try and get real early in the draft ....I just don't think Belichick will change his ways of dealing with that position.

Moss and Welker may certainly be the players that will forever be known as Brady's best when its time for Tom to retire.

Last edited:
Can anyone explain to me why we pine for players
who would be the 4th, 5th and 6th options in the offense. :confused3:

Last edited:
Can anyone explain to me why we pine for players
who would be the 4th, 5th and 6th options in the offense. :confused3:

Because outside of Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez, the pass catching players on this team range from below average to terrible.

Because outside of Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez, the pass catching players on this team range from below average to terrible.

Exactly ... so why do some members here pine for them???

Branch says hi! His stats are very close to those of Hernandez so far this year.

Hernandez has been targeted 57 times, with 41 receptions, 418 yards and 4 TD's.

Branch has been targeted 54 times, with 39 receptions, 503 yards and 3 TD's.

Please post with regard to how our passing game compared to the rest of the nfl last year and this. You, and others, post as if we have a terrible passing game. We have among the very best.

This is because Brady does well with his first FOUR receiving targets Welker, Branch, Gronkowksi and Hernandez). His #5 choice last year and this was Woodhead (reasonable). I would think that this is pretty good shopping since 4 of these players have arrived since the 2006-2007 off-season.

We seem to be fussing because Hernandez is labeled TE instead of WR. If Hernandez were labeled a WR, then we would think that our wide receivers are doing fine.

We seem to be really, really focused on the lack of production from those players who are fighting to be Brady's #6 receiving target (Ochocinco, Price, and Edelman). Another toy for Brady would be nice for the playoffs, but the reality is that the importance of any of these three as a receiver is only when others are injured.

Last edited:

Brady rates 2nd in passing this year, 1st last year (NFL.com). Cassell was rated 10th when Brady went down.

Please explain to me how that could be true with two different QBs while all our pass catching players are horrible?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back