PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some Very Comforting Fundamental Truths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it safe to come out, yet?? :eek:

It's always morbidly amusing to poke around in here, after a loss, but only in that twisted, debauched, horrific car accident kind of way: The poisonous, toxic gases are so intense that this place becomes uninhabitable.

I can only imagine what it sounds like on the radio. :eek:

A few Notions...

1 ~ I hope that anyone still distraught over the loss will reflect on this fundamental truth about Coach Bill The Mad (Genius), as it really ought to vaporize every last ounce of concern about last week's loss: The truth is that because Mad Bill's top priority ~ even more so than winning every single Game ~ is clearly and demonstrably to develop his team in a way and at a rate to give them the best chance to win in the PlayOffs...one can look at the experimenting and tinkering and mind-boggling tactical moves with the calm and comforting knowledge that Mad Bill does that sort of thing all the time, throughout the years, and especially early in the season. I would think, by now, that it would be crystal clear to all that there is ~ and always has been ~ a method to'is madness, indecipherable though it may be.

5 ~ And how many times has our Offense looked anemic or just plain helpless out there, over the last decade ~ again: especially early in the season, when Mad Bill is furiously experimenting with Schemes and Personnel ~ only to quickly turn it around and go on a long, sustained roll?? The Patriots have a couple of games like this almost every year. It's just part of the Formula...And after so many years of subsequently blasting our way out of such momentary lapses of explosive dominance...there really is no excuse for any of us to be hitting the Panic Button.

I presume nothing...but chances are very strong that we're gonna have an absolutely awesome year.

A couple of additional thoughts, before tonights showdown with the Ravens:

1. The board will either be euphoric or will totally implode based on whether we win or lose, but BB will remain steady either way. This is an important game, no doubt, but our season will not be defined by whether we win or lose this game. It's ultimately just one stepping stone in a long journey, and whether we win or lose how the team plays and how BB uses this game to develop the team is ultimately more important than the outcome of the game.

2. The last 2 seasons, BB has used the low points of the season to restructure and to galvanize the team, with spectacular results:

- In 2010 BB used a disappointing loss to the Jets in game 2 as the starting point for restructuring the offense around the TEs. He used a trap game loss to the Brown to re-focus the team going into a brutal run, and ran the table the rest of the season, with wins against the Steelers, Lions, Bears, Packers, Dolphins and Jets. The offense played flawlessly over that stretch, with TB garnerning his second MVP award.

- In 2011 BB used consecutive losses to the Steelers and Giants to pull the team together. The Steelers hit a "finesse" Pats team in the mouth. The Giants game was marked by Albert Haynesworth dogging it and getting into a screaming match with Pepper Johnson. BB cut Haynesworth a few days later and the team went 10-0 on the way to the Super Bowl after that loss.

I assume that BB knows more than I do about how to build a team, and that he understands that it is a long season and September doesn't usually factor very strongly into the final outcome. Not that it doesn't count, but this is still the "preseason" in terms of the team's development. Win or lose, I expect this will be a championship caliber team by the end of the season. And while many of BB's moves are perplexing and sometimes even befuddling, I assume that he ultimately knows what he's doing and that there is a method to his madness, even if it eludes me.

It's ultimately just one stepping stone in a long journey, and whether we win or lose how the team plays and how BB uses this game to develop the team is ultimately more important than the outcome of the game.

There it is. :cool:

I honestly couldn't be less concerned about the possibility of being 1-2 after tonight's game.

1 ~ 31 other Coaches are focused exclusively on winning today's game.

2 ~ Bill The Mad (Genius) is focused on how approaching today's game can help us win after January 1st.

3 ~ Put another way: the other 31 Coaches are focused on Winning The Battle.

4 ~ Bill The Mad (Genius) is focused on Winning The War.

There it is. :cool:

I honestly couldn't be less concerned about the possibility of being 1-2 after tonight's game.

1 ~ 31 other Coaches are focused exclusively on winning today's game.

2 ~ Bill The Mad (Genius) is focused on how approaching today's game can help us win after January 1st.

3 ~ Put another way: the other 31 Coaches are focused on Winning The Battle.

4 ~ Bill The Mad (Genius) is focused on Winning The War.

I couldn't agree more, and the history of the Pats under BB supports your argument:

- In 2001 the Pats lost 24-17 to the juggernaut Rams in Foxboro to go 5-5. BB used that loss to convince the team that they were good enough to play with anyone. The team went 6-0 the rest of the season to finish 11-5 and win the AFC East, then ran the tables in the playoffs to win the Super Bowl, beating those same Rams 20-17.

- In 2003 the Pats were blown out 31-0 by Buffalo in week 1, and lost a close game to the Redskins 20-17 to go 2-2. Tom Brady threw 2 end zone interceptions, and the defense gave up 119 yards rushing. The team won their next 12 games en route to a second Super Bowl.

- In 2004 a 6-0 team riding an 18 game winning streak went to Pittsburgh and was blown out 34-20. The Steelers rushed for 221 yards in the "Haloween Massacre" and the Pats lost Ty Law for the remainder of the season. That didn't stop the team from going 14-2 an winning their 3rd Super Bowl.

In contrast, the 2007 team was the most dominant team in history through 10 games of the season, but in retrospect might have benefitted from more adversity and even a loss or two in order to take pressure of the team and get them more accustomed to playing close games.

Champions are forged in the heat of battle and under conditions of adversity. I don't think it's a coincidence that several recent SB winners had to run the table at the end of their season just to make the playoffs (Pittsburgh in 2005 and Green Bay in 2010 come to mind). What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

I believe in this team, this coach and this franchise and all the brouhaha about extraneous crap, is what it is crap..

It is nothing more than idle tripe designed to drive mediot ratings, get more twitter followers and facebook likes.. none of this is about this team.

Put on the big boy pants and just be a fan.. stop the whining.

I couldn't agree more, and the history of the Pats under BB supports your argument:

- In 2001 the Pats lost 24-17 to the juggernaut Rams in Foxboro to go 5-5. BB used that loss to convince the team that they were good enough to play with anyone. The team went 6-0 the rest of the season to finish 11-5 and win the AFC East, then ran the tables in the playoffs to win the Super Bowl, beating those same Rams 20-17.

- In 2003 the Pats were blown out 31-0 by Buffalo in week 1, and lost a close game to the Redskins 20-17 to go 2-2. Tom Brady threw 2 end zone interceptions, and the defense gave up 119 yards rushing. The team won their next 12 games en route to a second Super Bowl.

- In 2004 a 6-0 team riding an 18 game winning streak went to Pittsburgh and was blown out 34-20. The Steelers rushed for 221 yards in the "Haloween Massacre" and the Pats lost Ty Law for the remainder of the season. That didn't stop the team from going 14-2 an winning their 3rd Super Bowl.

In contrast, the 2007 team was the most dominant team in history through 10 games of the season, but in retrospect might have benefitted from more adversity and even a loss or two in order to take pressure of the team and get them more accustomed to playing close games.

Champions are forged in the heat of battle and under conditions of adversity. I don't think it's a coincidence that several recent SB winners had to run the table at the end of their season just to make the playoffs (Pittsburgh in 2005 and Green Bay in 2010 come to mind). What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

The only flaw in your theory is that every loss is not a watershed event. Granted since we have lost only 31 times in 9+ years, a high percentage of them are, but there are more examples of losses that did not 'right the ship' than those that did.

I completely agree with this. I'm also reminded of the 08 Steelers. They had a brutal schedule and lost a few close games here and there but in the end all of that only toughened up the team.

A couple of additional thoughts, before tonights showdown with the Ravens:

1. The board will either be euphoric or will totally implode based on whether we win or lose, but BB will remain steady either way. This is an important game, no doubt, but our season will not be defined by whether we win or lose this game. It's ultimately just one stepping stone in a long journey, and whether we win or lose how the team plays and how BB uses this game to develop the team is ultimately more important than the outcome of the game.

2. The last 2 seasons, BB has used the low points of the season to restructure and to galvanize the team, with spectacular results:

- In 2010 BB used a disappointing loss to the Jets in game 2 as the starting point for restructuring the offense around the TEs. He used a trap game loss to the Brown to re-focus the team going into a brutal run, and ran the table the rest of the season, with wins against the Steelers, Lions, Bears, Packers, Dolphins and Jets. The offense played flawlessly over that stretch, with TB garnerning his second MVP award.

- In 2011 BB used consecutive losses to the Steelers and Giants to pull the team together. The Steelers hit a "finesse" Pats team in the mouth. The Giants game was marked by Albert Haynesworth dogging it and getting into a screaming match with Pepper Johnson. BB cut Haynesworth a few days later and the team went 10-0 on the way to the Super Bowl after that loss.

I assume that BB knows more than I do about how to build a team, and that he understands that it is a long season and September doesn't usually factor very strongly into the final outcome. Not that it doesn't count, but this is still the "preseason" in terms of the team's development. Win or lose, I expect this will be a championship caliber team by the end of the season. And while many of BB's moves are perplexing and sometimes even befuddling, I assume that he ultimately knows what he's doing and that there is a method to his madness, even if it eludes me.

Good points all.
By January winning or losing this game will mean nothing more than seeding.
I think its safe to say it will not be a make or break the playoffs determiner.
BUT, the things we don't see, as far as team building, which can come both from a gritty win when being doubted or learning from the adversity of a loss, will have a momentous effect it taking this team where it goes.
I think ultimately, aside from the seeding issue, how the team responds to the win or loss means more than the win or loss itself at this point.
I also am firmly of the belief that the Ravens will be fighting to make the playoffs at the end of the year, not for home field advantage.

The only flaw in your theory is that every loss is not a watershed event. Granted since we have lost only 31 times in 9+ years, a high percentage of them are, but there are more examples of losses that did not 'right the ship' than those that did.

True............ and it's certainly too early to tell about last week's game at this point, but I think it is safe to say that that loss has all the hallmarks of a "watershed loss".

Granted, I think the Cardinals are a far better team then most of us realize, but I think that for this team, the frustration of coming a "shanked kick" from winning a game they were had no business winning because they were flatly out-played, out-coached, out-everythinged, will have a lasting effect on them.

I never suggested that every loss is a "watershed event". But BB does seem to have been able to use a decent proportion of them to either motivate the team or correct fundamental flaws and make the team better in the long run. Not always - the 2009 team drove me crazy by their inability to turn the corner and become more consistent. That team remained on a yo-yo all season, ending in a horrible home playoff loss to the Ravens.

There's no guarantee that this team can use last week's loss - or a possible loss this week - as a watershed event. But I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Good points all.
By January winning or losing this game will mean nothing more than seeding.
I think its safe to say it will not be a make or break the playoffs determiner.
BUT, the things we don't see, as far as team building, which can come both from a gritty win when being doubted or learning from the adversity of a loss, will have a momentous effect it taking this team where it goes.
I think ultimately, aside from the seeding issue, how the team responds to the win or loss means more than the win or loss itself at this point.
I also am firmly of the belief that the Ravens will be fighting to make the playoffs at the end of the year, not for home field advantage.

I am personally not that impressed with the Ravens. 488 yards given up to Philly last week and the inability to stop the Eagles down the stretch does not suggest a dominant defense. The OL is old. And I just don't buy Joe Flacco as an "elite" QB, especially under adversity.

I was one of the few people that thought that Arizona would be a tough test last week. The Cardinals have a good defense. The NFC West may be the toughest division in the NFL right now - Seattle also has a potentially dominant defense, and obviously San Francisco is very good. And the Rams aren't getting better. I wouldn't be surprised to see those being among our toughest games this year.

I never suggested that every loss is a "watershed event". But BB does seem to have been able to use a decent proportion of them to either motivate the team or correct fundamental flaws and make the team better in the long run. Not always - the 2009 team drove me crazy by their inability to turn the corner and become more consistent. That team remained on a yo-yo all season, ending in a horrible home playoff loss to the Ravens.

There's no guarantee that this team can use last week's loss - or a possible loss this week - as a watershed event. But I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

I wasn't implying you did say that, just pointing out that while responding to a loss and moving forward better than any other team is a valid dynamic here, it isn't applicable to every loss.
On the other hand, if they do not, they will get more opportunities to do so, kind of like last year with the Pitt and NYG losses.

Ah, Grizzlies!! One of my favorite subjects to discuss. I thank you for that, Sir...

1 ~ Matt Kopa's got an interesting background: in High School, he was a standout BasketBall player. Brother Mayo and I are equally relentless in pounding the table on how attractive "BasketBall" is on a FootBall player's resume, especially if the player in question excelled, as Kopa certainly did.

To excel at BasketBall, you need to bring ~ and to refine ~ Short Area Burst in quickly getting from here to there, as well as Fluidity, Lateral Agility, & Manual Dexterity ~ working with your hands, is what I mean ~ in your efforts to gain the advantage in small spaces.

So it seems to me that both boasting enough of these skills to win a spot on your BasketBall team and ~ having done so ~ having had the Opportunity to enhance and refine these skills on the Court and in Practice...are two substantial marks in any FootBall Player's favor.

Kopa was a two-way player in High School who started off as an highly rated Defensive End at Stanford, got hurt, and then ended up coming back as a reserve Tight End, the next year, eventually segueing to reserve Offensive Tackle, before winning the starting Gig...but got hurt and missed'is Senior year.

So when he graduated in 2010, he was still pretty raw as an O Tackle.

And I don't get the impression ~ this is 3rd Person, though, as I couldn't find any Tape on'm ~ that he commands exceptional Core Strength, Fluidity, or Lateral Agility, despite his background. But it's important to note that this impression ~ which I'm not doing much more than simply passing along, mind you ~ is not one I that have great resolve about, both because I haven't had the chance to watch any Tape on'm, and because he hasn't had time to develop.

In his favor, too, he gets excellent grades for Launch Velocity ~ that's "Burst", to you Earthlings ~ terrific Processing Speed, outstanding Diagnostic Acuity, exceptional Dexterity, and a tremendous Work Ethic, all of which go a long way with Coach Bill, of course...and, indeed, with the NFL.

My current impression is that he's a very smart, hard-working kid who already commands an exceptional grasp of Blocking Tactics, a clear appreciation for working with the unit to deploy these Tactics while reacting to those of to the Defenders, and sufficient Core Strength, Fluidity, & Lateral Agility to consistently implement his wisdom, as well as the Processing Speed to do so effectively in RealTime.

His upside, however, remains murky to me, based on my current inability to evaluate his physical capabilities for myself.

2 ~ Markus Zusevics is a Prospect I'm very excited about. He commands terrific Launch Velocity off the Snap, his Core Strength and Core Power are excellent and improving, and his Fluidity is very impressive.

He displays superior Dexterity and Lateral Agility, and superior Diagnostic Acuity and Processing Speed when implementing Blocking Tactics and reacting to Attacking Tactics as part of a unit.

Outstanding Work Ethic, too: Beasted up from a Freshman 225 to his current 300, and boasts the Frame to add a few pounds more, which should of course improve his already impressive Core Strength and Core Power.

I think you're right on the money regarding Projection: I think Zusevics could develop not only into a exceptional Swing Tackle, but an exceptional Swing Guard, as well. I would indeed go so far as to say that I believe that he will eventually develop to the point where he can deliver superior Starting Caliber performance at all 4 spots.

3 ~ I'm afraid I didn't get much'f an impression of Darrion Weems, and wasn't that intrigued with what I did see, although I did like his college Tape. The Colts've cut'm loose, so you never know what the future holds.

4 ~ Kyle Hix I didn't find impressive whatsoever: Dubious Core Strength and awful Fluidity & Lateral Agility, I'm afraid. Good kid. I hope he manages to make a few bucks and then finds a successfull career of some sort.

5 ~ In summary: Yes!! I think that our man Markus Zusevics does indeed have what it takes to become an exceptional Swing Tackle and Swing Guard at this level. I would much prefer to have two Swing Tackles, mind you, but I don't see any need to spend a 2nd Rounder on that gig. I've noted my previous affinity for the likes of Willie Smith and David Mims, of course, but while it's far too early for me to have a sense of what Raw Gems might emerge from the 2013 O Tackle Draft Class, there are actually a couple of current Practice Squad players on other teams that I'd love to see us yoink and add to our 53 Man Roster:

6 ~ David Mims ~ Chiefs. 6.8/336. A real Monster, blessed with extraordinary Athleticism. Raw as Hell, having come out'f DII as a UFA in 2011, and having missed most of last offseason, along with everyone else, but he's got the potential to become an absolutely dominating, devastating Beast.

7 ~ Matt McCants ~ Giants. 6.6/308. Also a raw DII guy, but with phenomenal raw athletic Talent. He's also light in the Trunk, but has the broad Frame required to take on the weight he needs, and commands a very natural Core Strength that could develop into a substantial advantage, once he develops the beef.

8 ~ I see both these guys as commanding multiple Pro Bowl potential, under Coach Dante's guidance. Frankly, much as I like Zusevics, I'd rather see us yoink both of those guys away from their respective teams.

9 ~ Hopefully, our man Sebastian The Cruel will be able to overcome this considerable threat to his career and become the marauding Force that he showed the potential to be, before his back problems transpired.

10 ~ But, if not, the Potential would certainly be there to replace him with High Caliber O Tackle Talent.

That's the Path I'd like to see us take at O Tackle. What are your thoughts, Brother Zona?
39.gif

Thanks. One of the reasons I asked you is I respect your feelings and obvious interst in the Big Uglies, and I am not in Mass and did not get any info from attndees at TC. Neither Kopa nor Zusevics played in any Preseason games,so I couldn't see them play at all, thus I was prompted to seek your opinions.

It would seem from backgrounds only that Kopa could develop into a multiple position tackle, and could probably handle a G assignment as well.

I did not know that Kopa was injured in his senior year, and that allayed a oncern that a big time school tackle could be passed over and not drafted at all, thus indicating some flaw in his play.

Zusevics is more of an agility and quickness guy, so If anything I would think he is a candidate at LOT, but who may not have the heft for ROT or Guard.

But that is a pure paper supposition only. They both will spend time with the Strength coaches and Dante, so I don't know what either will transform into being, if anything.

It's always morbidly amusing to poke around in here, after a loss, but only in that twisted, debauched, horrific car accident kind of way: The poisonous, toxic gases are so intense that this place becomes uninhabitable.

that is some funny shat right there ... hall of famer :D

that is some funny shat right there ... hall of famer :D

Thanks, Brother York!! :rocker:

God help this Site if the Patriots go 1-2 for the first time since 1627. :eek:

Brother Ian's gonna have to perpetrate like Captain Harris, calling in an AirStrike in the final Battle Scene of Platoon, once the entire Perimeter had been overrun: "Dump everything you've got left on my pos. I say again, expend all remaining in my perimeter. It's a lovely #$%&ing war. Bravo Six out."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes