Some Thoughts On Olympic Sprinter Jeff Demps Addition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
By: Derek Havens

On Friday morning, several media outlets reported Olympic silver medalist and former Florida running back, Jeff Demps, has agreed to terms with the Patriots. The story was first reported by Kevin O'Donnell of Fox 13 in Tampa Bay....

By: Derek Havens

On Friday morning, several media outlets reported Olympic silver medalist and former Florida running back, Jeff Demps, has agreed to terms with the Patriots. The story was first reported by Kevin O'Donnell of Fox 13 in Tampa Bay....

Pats finally come to terms with reality and realize that Julian Edelman is a major liability on offense, a "cute" story on defense, and basically just a solid punt returner. Bye, bye.

Pats finally come to terms with reality and realize that Julian Edelman is a major liability on offense, a "cute" story on defense, and basically just a solid punt returner. Bye, bye.
What would Demps have to do with displacing a WR/ST guy?

I'll admit that I'm over my head with this one though. Waaay over my head. This is humiliating. I don't have a clue. I see our stable of backs and I think, "Full stable, good upside, let's roll mother*****ers."

How can they evaluate this guy in two weeks? That's another major issue. Is he an automatic PS guy?

I'll admit that I'm over my head with this one though. Waaay over my head. This is humiliating. I don't have a clue. I see our stable of backs and I think, "Full stable, good upside, let's roll mother*****ers."

How can they evaluate this guy in two weeks? That's another major issue. Is he an automatic PS guy?

Demps has the potential to play RB, WR, PR, and KR. And he'll likely be better than Edelman in all of those areas. At the very least, he adds blazing speed. What does Edelman add? Some terrible route running, bad instincts on offense, a few jukes on punt returns?

If Demps can't return punts well, then fine. His addition to the kicking game would likely outweigh Edelman's replacement in the punting game.

I am saying it right now: barring some big injuries, Edelman is gone. He is not worth a roster spot. Is it really worth a roster spot for a player whose only value is in returning punts (can't even return kickoffs or be a 5th WR to stretch the field), when you have a guy who has more upside in every area?

Simply put, there isn't enough room for two "gadget" guys. These two will duke it out for a spot on the roster.

Last edited:
Demps has the potential to play RB, WR, PR, and KR.

Demps had two punt returns in his freshman year of college and none since. That's not a skill you learn overnight. Kick returning is fairly straightforward (literally). Punt returning, not so much.

Well..this is quite surprising. Wasn't he rumored to the jests?

Think Banana, Think!
To get on the PS he has to pass thru waivers past 31 teams.
We know from reports cited here today that several teams were hot and heavy to sign him.
Somebody in September will have a depleted by injury 53 and decide to take a flyer (heh) on this kid. Jets would do so just to sell PSLs.

I'll "byte"

If Demps is on the 53 and Edelperson isn't (barring IR) I'll stop posting for a week between games 1 & 2.

If Edes is on the 53 then you say Bye for that week

We'll see who has the courage of their convictions

I think you highly underate Jules' abilties as a Punt Returner I think the early hopes for Demps would be that he could be as good a kick returner as Edelman is a punt returner. Jules has a 12 yard career average and 2 TDs to his punt return career.

Sure it is possible that there is only room for one "returner only" and that the other needs to contribute more to the regulars or one has to do both or something but to assume that Demps who will likely just be a KR this year will imediately knock the PR off the team is just jumping to conclusions.

I am saying it right now: barring some big injuries, Edelman is gone. He is not worth a roster spot. Is it really worth a roster spot for a player whose only value is in returning punts (can't even return kickoffs or be a 5th WR to stretch the field), when you have a guy who has more upside in every area?

Simply put, there isn't enough room for two "gadget" guys. These two will duke it out for a spot on the roster.
This is a post that only a Jet fan would appreciate. An unthoughtfull knee jerk reaction, full of ignorance and hate. The kind of thing that we'd expect from Ray Ray or SG3 Really poor effort Ice.

This is as bad as the other Demps thread where they already have given Woody's job to Demps, despite the fact he's 5 months behind the rest of the league in his preparation for a football season. He's 3 month behind learning the playbook. And has never had ONE 5 yd run in the NFL, let alone averaged better than that in 174 carries the last 2 years, as Woody has.

Yet Ice, you have already declared him a better WR than Edelman, even though he has never been a WR. You have declared him a better punt returner than Edelman even though I'm no sure he had the job in Florida.(at least none of the many highlight reels I've seen show him returning punts :rolleyes;

With this one post you have successfully lowered you credibility, and possibly your IQ. We expect better from you.

GET A GRIP - We just signed a guy who MIGHT be an upgrade to our Kick return team, who didn't cost us anything. Anything more than that, is likely going to have to way until next year.

Last edited:
For a team to pick him up through waivers, they have to add him to their 53 man roster, not so sure they want to do that.

we signed Jack Dempsey???..I thought he hit the Big Adios?...

oh...uh...wait....
ohnoes.gif

This is the best signing of BB's career. You line him up wide, throw him a quick screen,get him in space, ask everyone to stop, let him crouch, shoot the starting gun, and BOOM! touchdown.

This is the best signing of BB's career. You line him up wide, throw him a quick screen,get him in space, ask everyone to stop, let him crouch, shoot the starting gun, and BOOM! touchdown.

:singing: heh................

Hyperbole much?

Think Banana, Think!
To get on the PS he has to pass thru waivers past 31 teams.
Aha! Did not know that. I thought the waiver rule applied only before the final cut. Why did I think there was amnesty at the final cut? Was it the Ballard deal? I coulda sworn that they could have kept Ballard away from waivers just by waiting for the final cut. Oh wait, IR is totally different. Forget that!

Now this whole transaction takes on a new angle. This is a ballsy move considering the wheeling and dealing that could happen.

I would hate to see him go after thinking about how he could swing the momentum in a big game. I think he averaged 28.8 per, and that ain't hay even at that level. This could be a Metcalf kind of player.

Last edited:

And a Punt Returner with four returns for TDs, [but two were called back on penalties]. A guy who holds Patriot's PR records. There are many more PR opportunities now than KR opportunities, with the revised KO rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes