Some Super Bowl Thoughts/Observations/ETC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Here we go:

• Last night highlighted to me how much the Pats' missed Gronk two weeks ago. Vernon Davis showed how old and slow Ray Ray really is and he really ate apart the mid part of that defense. Gronk probably could have done so much more since he is a far better TE.
  • After the playoffs, I would consider taking a look at Anquan Boldin if released. I wouldn't get rid of Lloyd for him especially because Boldin is a candidate for hitting the age wall at any point (big physical receivers usually hit it hard and fast) and he isn't an outside WR. But he would be a good rotational guy if the Pats keep Welker. But if I am the Ravens, you try to keep him no matter what because he is clearly their best WR and you can't rely on Torrey Smith to be the guy (see below).
  • I know Belichick loves Ed Reed, but unless he will take a value contract I might pass. He got burnt quite a bit last night. Sometimes he was great, but more often he looked old in the second half.
  • Of all the Ravens' free agents and potential free agents, I may want Jacoby Jones. He will never be more than a third or fourth WR on this offense, but he would be a difference maker on special teams. Great returner in both punts and kick offs.
  • All the talk that the Pats need a Torrey Smith should end. He again showed yesterday why he is so overrated. Made a few good plays (granted easy to make a good play when no one covered him on his first catch), but was mostly a total non-factor yesterday. Flacco relied far more on Boldin.
  • A friend of mine, who is a Giants fan, said to me yesterday that he is scared that the Pats will sign Victor Cruz. He thinks Cruz would be a Welker replacement who will cost about as much, is younger, and has much more speed than Welker. He thinks the Pats with the 29th pick in the draft might feel that is worth it to give up for one of the top slot receivers in the league. Don't know if I agree with him, but it is an interesting prospect.
  • I am not a conspiracy theorist, but I wouldn't be shocked if we found out that a disgruntled Saints' employee pulled the plug on the power to get back at the NFL for Bountygate. I think there is a 0.0000000000000001% chance of that, but I wouldn't be surprised. Peissed off that someone brought it up on 98.5 this morning because I thought that last night and now it looks like I stole their idea.
  • Speaking about the blackout. If the Ravens lost, they would have a legitimate beef with the NFL. The 49ers were doing very little on any phase of the game before that and the Ravens came out out after the blackout totally flat.
  • Belichick refusing to speak to CBS = huge controversy. Jim Harbaugh refuses to speak to CBS = non story. Harbaugh is getting more crap (deservedly so) for whining at his post game press conference.

Interesting theory on the blackout. It was an odd thing to happen during the biggest game in sports. Perhaps it was someone inside the Saints organization pulling the plug just as a big middle finger to Goodell.:D

I wouldn't be opposed to signing Anquan Boldin if he was available for the right price... The intermediate routes were just not happening when Gronk went down. We were constantly in 3rd and short situations all season. The Pats without Gronk aren't aggressive enough and we seem to be exposed without that outside threat.

I'd be totally cool with Ed Reed coming to the Pats. He's getting older but he'd provide good depth and leadership. He's one of the few Ravens defensive players who are not THUG PRICKS.

All I have to say is I don't want to hear the whine birds ever complain again about not getting the calls. They were allowed to hold the entire post season but that one against Crabtree that essentially ended the game was epic.

Yup.

Two straight years the lack of a healthy Gronk in the playoffs cost us a title.

That hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back