PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some strange analyis on Pats/Chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
New England Patriots at San Diego Chargers - Adam Duerson - SI.com

2. These Patriots are slowly -- very slowly -- starting to resemble the Patriots of old. I attended the Patriots-Jets game in Week 2 and witnessed some of the most boring, unimaginative football I've ever seen. But after watching New England's effort in San Francisco two weeks later, I'm convinced that Bill Belichick is much closer to operating out of the same playbook he's used in the past.

Odd. By old he means last yr. Whereas old should ideally mean pats of 2001 to 2005 which is what they resembled in the jets game.
This article is an example of what the national fanbase gets to read and form an impression on.Not to mention he also mentions this
As for New England, Belichick has played with the direct snap plenty in the past. He even ran it successfully against the 49ers. All he needs to do now is move Cassel out wide as a decoy.
so simple...anyone can run it. All 32 teams should just run wildcat from now on. Iam waiting to see which defense busts this new offensive infatuation.

There is some truth to what he says. However, this team is a lot different because there's a marked improvement in the receiving and running backs. I don't think any of those past receivers or running backs would have cracked the starting lineup today. I'm also not convinced today's defense is as strong as the 'old' defense.

New England Patriots at San Diego Chargers - Adam Duerson - SI.com

Odd. By old he means last yr. Whereas old should ideally mean pats of 2001 to 2005 which is what they resembled in the jets game.
This article is an example of what the national fanbase gets to read and form an impression on.Not to mention he also mentions this
It seems to me that his reference to the "Patriots of old" is ambiguous enough to refer to almost anything. I agree with you, though, they seem to be playing the Pats of 01 and on. Let's just hope that means we continue to win games.

Actually for a national mediot I thought that was a pretty thoughtful analysis. His scouts seemed to nail it on Classy while forgetting that Gates and Rivers (and #1 WR Chambers) appear to have issues. As Felger might opine, not sure you can burn defenses and avoid sacks by getting rid of the ball quick while simultaneously standing firm in the pocket while your receivers get open - particularly not with a cranky knee...

I liked that article, especially this part:
New England, on the other hand, needs to screen more often to Kevin Faulk, one of the all-time greats in the situation. Last week we saw it for the first time since Faulk was hurt in the third quarter of Super Bowl XLII (here's hoping the history books don't underplay his absence late in that game) and I assume we'll see even more of it this week against the Merriman-less Chargers.

I agree. It's interesting how many natinal mediots seem be getting off the Chargers bandwagon and calling them out as overrated whiners.

I guess LT just doesn't do it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back