PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some similarities to 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFaninAZ

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
This year's playoffs seem a bit similar to me to the 2004 season (January 2005 playoffs). Patriots with the top seed and home field advantage, and everyone looking to a potential New England/Indy matchup at the Razor.

Both teams got all they could handle in the division round that year. Indy actually was the three seed and had to beat Kansas City on the road, but I think that's a game everyone sort of expected the Colts to win. They'll be more heavily favored against San Diego and playing at home. But the conference matchups are exactly the same -- we play a South team this year (Jags) that is being talked about similarly to how the South team we played in '04 (Titans) was being talked about. Big. Physical. Tough. Colts play the West winner, although there are some significant differences between the Chiefs that year and the Chargers this year.

I hate to say it, but I sort of think this year is going to look very similar in terms of the Colts and Pats getting all they can handle. It certainly won't be as cold at the Razor this year as it was for that Titans game. But I sort of expect a similarly close game. We got a bit fortunate to win in 2004. Hope it's not that close. I also think Indy is going to get all they can handle from the Chargers.

We played the Titans in 2003.

The Pats didn't have homefield throughout in 2004 because they had to got to Pitt for the AFCCG.

Indy played KC in the wild-card round in 2004 and came to the Razor in the divisional round. I think they were favored, or maybe we were only a 1 pt favorite.

Funny -- I guess when you play in the playoffs so often, it all gets confused.

So let me say unequivocally, this year seems like other years. Sort of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes