PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some scary stats on Pats secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chad Henne will have a career night:rolleyes:Gotta put some type of pressure on him if these CBs cant stick to the wrs.

He already had a career night last year with Warren and Boden playing.

Yeah, it's scary. Luckily our offense is even scarier.

Throws outside the numbers tend to be outs and 5-15 yard hitch routes. Those are 3 step drop type plays. No pass rush in the universe is able to consistently get pressure against a 3 step drop. It's about the DBs (Butler) giving 10 yards of cushion and giving mediocre QBs the opportunity to make an easy throw.

go back and watch the jets/fins game and see how much cushion the jets dbs were giving to fins WRs. cromartie was standing 10 yards deep ...one or two times he lined up ,the WR ran by him......its not just our dbs so this theory of bump and run doesnt make much difference without knowing the rest of the coverage.
bottomline -avg front 7 makes our avg seconday look below avg.

He had 335 yards passing last year.Thats Chad Henne.He might have 200 before halftime.:(

Belichick, Kraft, etc., have assembled one of the weakest defenses in the league, and there's no one to blame but them. Yes, Warren and Bodden got hurt, but they weren't going to take this defense from 30, 31, 32 to 15 or 16 like some people think they will end up. It's a damn shame because it looks like this offense will be able to score 24+ a game in their sleep (unless they play the NYJ in NY) and a fair to middling defense would get them 11 wins no problem....

Belichick, Kraft, etc., have assembled one of the weakest defenses in the league, and there's no one to blame but them. Yes, Warren and Bodden got hurt, but they weren't going to take this defense from 30, 31, 32 to 15 or 16 like some people think they will end up. It's a damn shame because it looks like this offense will be able to score 24+ a game in their sleep (unless they play the NYJ in NY) and a fair to middling defense would get them 11 wins no problem....

I blame it on those horrible drafts from 05 to 09.

Chad Henne will have a career night:rolleyes:Gotta put some type of pressure on him if these CBs cant stick to the wrs.

I don't think the coaches or the players want to give up easy throws. With the "bend-don't-break" approach they are looking to eliminate yac but with sloppy tackling lately they are giving up yac anyway. If the Pats want to create pressure they obviosuly need to start playing more man-to-man and aggressive coverages which they haven't done thus far.

If they don't and want to continue the same approeach they can be successful with out jamming and playing physical at los. They can continue to give WRs room and continue to play off coverage so teams have to drive down the field aka eliminate the big play but they need to tighten up the cushion a little more so instead of the CBs taking a step back despite the cushion and giveing 10 yds+ they should cut that in half to take away the curls and slants.

I just had an idea, imagine if our offense was playing this defense, in more than just drills. They played 30 minutes, in bursts to simulate TOP and average time our offense is on the field.

Over/under under 7 touchdowns for Brady.

a big part of the pats problems on D has to do with their refusal to sign FAs and/or make trades. Look at what the Jets did - a few years ago they were laughing stocks and now a contender. Calvin Pace, cromartie, bart scott, sanchez, etc were all acquired by free agency or trade. pats have this stubborn way of thinking that they will win by simply drafting players and signing a few here and there. belichick let the jets beat him to all the players that are making the jets good today. i am definitely not saying the pats should go out there and sign everyone. however, they just aren't that aggressive in the FA market and/trade market anymore. I keep thinking how awesome boldin would have looked for us.

Last edited:
We will see if the defense will improve from game to game.It couldnt have gotten any worse against the lousy bills.

Last edited:
Just give them time ;)

maybe not be as significant a stat but this one

NFL Stats: by Team Category

our passing yds per game is better than the jets passing yds per game just statistically. so goes to show that above or below lions at this stage is really dependent on the situation

I'd sell my soul for Ndamukong Suh on this team.

why don't they play more bump and run? butler is not very good unless he the play is in front of him. he does not have the recovery speed if the guy goes by him.

This is a joke right? Butler has some issues right now but speed is not one of them.

a big part of the pats problems on D has to do with their refusal to sign FAs and/or make trades. Look at what the Jets did - a few years ago they were laughing stocks and now a contender. Calvin Pace, cromartie, bart scott, sanchez, etc were all acquired by free agency or trade. pats have this stubborn way of thinking that they will win by simply drafting players and signing a few here and there. belichick let the jets beat him to all the players that are making the jets good today. i am definitely not saying the pats should go out there and sign everyone. however, they just aren't that aggressive in the FA market and/trade market anymore. I keep thinking how awesome boldin would have looked for us.

This is not true, remember Adailius Thomas and Rosey Colvin were big FA acquisitions. The pats paid them tons of cash, and the results were very mixed. Bodden was an acquisition. Sparks etc. They have gone after free agents, and trades, they have not all worked out real well.

It is the draft, they had too many wasted high draft picks, and passed on too many good young players who are now superstars, either because they missed in the draft, or they traded out of their draft position to get more picks.

FA and trades are only suppose to fill in the gaps, you build your team from the draft. This defense has huge holes, they need an elite pass rusher desperately. They need play making OLB. They need better CBs, I ironically think they are fine in the middle, NT, MLB and safeties. But they are crap everywhere else.

why don't they play more bump and run? butler is not very good unless he the play is in front of him. he does not have the recovery speed if the guy goes by him.

1. I agree that our corners are better suited for bump and run coverage. However...

2. We have played a bit of bump and run this year, and the results haven't been any different than the dreaded ten yard cushion.

3. If the quarterback continues to have 10 hours to throw the football, it's not going to matter what type of coverage the corners are in.

It's funny that these are stats "on the secondary". Having a pass rush is just as, if not significantly more important to a good pass defense than a good secondary. They could have Darrell Revis and Nnamdi Assfaceamugha at corner and their pass D would still be below average with that non-existent pass rush.

3. If the quarterback continues to have 10 hours to throw the football, it's not going to matter what type of coverage the corners are in.

This. It also won't matter who we have at corner.

This is not true, remember Adailius Thomas and Rosey Colvin were big FA acquisitions. The pats paid them tons of cash, and the results were very mixed. Bodden was an acquisition. Sparks etc. They have gone after free agents, and trades, they have not all worked out real well.

It is the draft, they had too many wasted high draft picks, and passed on too many good young players who are now superstars, either because they missed in the draft, or they traded out of their draft position to get more picks.

FA and trades are only suppose to fill in the gaps, you build your team from the draft. This defense has huge holes, they need an elite pass rusher desperately. They need play making OLB. They need better CBs, I ironically think they are fine in the middle, NT, MLB and safeties. But they are crap everywhere else.

I agree in the sense that you can't build your team through free agency/trades, but with Brady's prime winding down it's time to stop thinking about building your team and start thinking about immediate results. It might not have been fiscally smart and it might have turned into a cap clogging albatross contract 3 years from now, but they should have broken the bank for Julius Peppers and done whatever it took to bring him in. Because they didn't, and because they were worried more about the future than fixing the current significant pass rush problem, this year is gonna be another wasted year of Brady's prime.

This is great news - there's nowhere to go but up! And go up we will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes