PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some other potential cornerbacks (Sign the Beasts XLVIII-b)

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The 2015 FA market has begun to settle down, and the early prices on cornerbacks were insanely expensive. When Byron Maxwell is getting $63M over 6 years with $25M guaranteed (5th-highest amount for a corner ever), it was clear we weren't going to find a #1 corner in this marketplace.

I think we could go with what we have and hope for growth from Butler and Ryan or for one of the low-cost FA acquisitions to emerge, but I think the FO is still looking as well. One of the places to look might be the 2016 FA market.

There are some decent cornerbacks who are in the last year of their contracts this season. I admit, I'm feeling a bit desperate, but we should at least kick the tires on trading for one of these guys. Their teams may already be thinking of replacing them in the draft, so one of them may become available during or shortly after the draft.

We can also keep tabs on them and perhaps pull off another mid-season deal like the one that brought Aqib Talib to the Patriots. If a team falls out of the race early and they don't feel like they'll re-sign the guy anyways, maybe it won't take much to get them mid-season.

And there's at least one over-rated, overpaid cornerback who is playing a game of chicken with his team about a contract renegotiation.

So here's a few of the guys I'm keeping an eye on. Salary cap charges list what would be on our cap if we traded. Some of them may be cut so those charges may be irrelevant.

Johnathan Joseph, age 30, Texans. 5'11, 180 lbs
They just re-signed Kareem Jackson, and Joseph is getting a bit older so I wonder if they go looking for another corner in the draft. Has a $12M+ salary cap charge, but we'd be on the hook for only $8.5M.

Leon Hall, age 30, Bengals. 5'11, 195 lbs
They let Newman test the market so they are a bit short on depth, but they've also spent significant draft picks on Dre Kirkpatrick and Darqueze Dennard over the past few years too. Salary cap charge under $8M.

Marcus Cooper, age 25, Chiefs. 6'2, 192 lbs
Had a good start to his career, then slumped. Maybe he got found out after watching some tape. But he's young, has good size, and 2 years left on his contract unlike a lot of the names here. Salary cap charge would be around the minimum.

Brandon Carr, age 28, Cowboys. 6'0, 210 lbs
Decent player but not worth his ridiculous contract. Could be cut by the Cowboys if they can't agree on a salary reduction. Salary cap charge would be $8M.

Prince Amukamara, age 26, Giants.
He finally started to emerge last season until he was injured halfway through the season. They exercised the 5th year option on him, but doubt they're willing to franchise him so depending on where the Giants are, they might want to deal. Salary cap charge of $7M.

Sean Smith, age 27, Chiefs.
He's young and developed into a good corner so I doubt they'll deal him. But if the Broncos rule the division and the Chargers overtake them, do they start thinking about a mid-season deal? He'd probably be good for a 3rd or 4th in terms of a comp pick, so would have to give up something more than that. Salary cap charge of $4.3M.

The last two guys are probably unrealistic. There are a lot of other guys too who might fit. Pacman might be available for the same reasons as Hall, but he's a year older, a bit crazier, so probably not. Jimmy Smith, Dre Kirkpatrick and Stephon Gilmore are also FAs in 2016, but their teams have plenty of cap room to spend on young, emerging cornerbacks so I doubt they make it to the market.

Anyone else you think we might make a move for?

Sounds like grass-is-greener to me. We've already got a few people who, if they were on the market, would be on your list.

Jonathan Joseph was really good, but he's not the same and too expensive...

Good strategy, though I'm not familiar with the relative talents. Given our loss, a one year rental and developmental pick might make sense.

We're looking at next spring's free agents already?

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your detail and bringing up options, but we don't have any idea what will happen this fall/winter yet.

Lots of things could happen between now and then:

1) Trade
2) Draft
3)Training camp/roster cuts
4) Dennard steps up and we're forced to make a decision in FA
5) McCourty moves back to CB at times
6) Dark horse candidate steps up and has a better than expected 2015 season (Ryan, etc)

Last edited:
I'd almost guarantee they draft at least one CB and maybe take a flyer one someone in the later rounds like they did with Dennard. Come training camp I bet we have 2-3 at camp that are not on the roster now.

We're looking at next spring's free agents already?

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your detail and bringing up options, but we don't have any idea what will happen this fall/winter yet.

Lots of things could happen between now and then:

1) Trade
2) Draft
3)Training camp/roster cuts
4) Dennard steps up and we're forced to make a decision in FA
5) McCourty moves back to CB at times
6) Dark horse candidate steps up and has a better than expected 2015 season (Ryan, etc)

Well yes and no. What I mean by looking to next year's FA is that many teams are already talking about how they're going to handle those situations next year, and whether this year's draft is the time to find the replacement. Most guys in their last year have also gotten through a lot of the guarantees so the potential dead money vs. cap savings changes significantly. Add it all up, and some teams may be considering dealing during or after the draft if they think they're covered.

For example, if you're the Texans and you know Joseph is on the wrong side of 30, in the last year of his contract, and you're not going to give him anywhere close to what he's making now if you want him back at all, don't you at least consider drafting his replacement and dealing him for an asset now while clearing $8M off your books?

I'm not suggesting we wait until 2016 to sign them, just that their upcoming FA has forced their teams to start considering options now and they may be open to a deal to save either money or get something for a guy they have no intention of re-signing. The Bengals spent 2 1sts in the past 3 drafts on Dennard and Kirkpatrick, yet Hall started 15 games last season. They would love for those guys to take on a bigger role, so Hall's role may shrink as a result, and then the Bengals have to think whether he's worth the $9.6M hit on their cap. In a trade, they'd clear $7.7M off their cap.

So it isn't about targeting these guys next year so much as their upcoming FA status causing teams to think about that player's future already, and it may be dealt with in the draft.

I think BB is settled with what we have. He is going to evaluate who is already on the roster, to see what they can do as a integral part of the defense

i don't think we will bring someone new (maybe a draft pick, although the class is kinda weak, from my view point), until the beginning of the season.

I'd rather look to the draft. I know a good amount of people in here are tucking their sacks between their legs, pinching their nipples, and dancing in front of a mirror over the prospect of signing "Toast" Fletcher but the Pats still need to make a move for at least on CB (depending on whether or not Dennard can rebound). Prospects in the draft that I like are Peters and Williams at the end of round 1 (unless there's a run on DB's), Jalen Collins in round 2, or Josh Shaw in round 3. Shaw, in particular, could be a diamond in the rough type pick. Good speed and impressive upper body strength, good at press man, and can line up at both S and CB (we all know BB likes him some versatility). He fell due to the bizarre story with him last summer.

Some people might disagree over some of your choices of players but overall I think this is a very solid topic and thread. You put a lot of work into it and that is always nice to see : )

I think they are going to be looking to make some kind of trade happen. Right now they are 7 under (so 5 after the draft) and they still will probably restructure Mayo so I could see them trading a pick for a player that might have a 4-5 Million dollar hit.

Agree with Bob...After the top 3 or so CB picks, it's a crap shoot.....I'd rather see BB do a trade for an established CB with experience and then take a flyer on one later in the draft or UDFA.

Some people might disagree over some of your choices of players but overall I think this is a very solid topic and thread. You put a lot of work into it and that is always nice to see : )

I think they are going to be looking to make some kind of trade happen. Right now they are 7 under (so 5 after the draft) and they still will probably restructure Mayo so I could see them trading a pick for a player that might have a 4-5 Million dollar hit.

Current cap money is not an issue regarding trades. There are many opportunities to free up money in addition to the restructure of Mayo, which you mention.

For example, if you're the Texans and you know Joseph is on the wrong side of 30, in the last year of his contract, and you're not going to give him anywhere close to what he's making now if you want him back at all, don't you at least consider drafting his replacement and dealing him for an asset now while clearing $8M off your books?

I'm not suggesting we wait until 2016 to sign them, just that their upcoming FA has forced their teams to start considering options now and they may be open to a deal to save either money or get something for a guy they have no intention of re-signing. The Bengals spent 2 1sts in the past 3 drafts on Dennard and Kirkpatrick, yet Hall started 15 games last season. They would love for those guys to take on a bigger role, so Hall's role may shrink as a result, and then the Bengals have to think whether he's worth the $9.6M hit on their cap. In a trade, they'd clear $7.7M off their cap.

So it isn't about targeting these guys next year so much as their upcoming FA status causing teams to think about that player's future already, and it may be dealt with in the draft.

I see. Thank you for the clarification. That makes sense.

Okay, the draft is over, and some teams did pick CBs. Let's take a second look at some guys who may shake free based on their FA status in 2016 and their teams spending a high pick on a potential replacement.

Johnathan Joseph, age 30, Texans. 5'11, 180 lbs
They just re-signed Kareem Jackson, and Joseph is getting a bit older so I wonder if they go looking for another corner in the draft. Has a $12M+ salary cap charge, but we'd be on the hook for only $8.5M.
UPDATE: The Texans drafted Kevin Johnson in the 1st round.

Leon Hall, age 30, Bengals. 5'11, 195 lbs
They let Newman test the market so they are a bit short on depth, but they've also spent significant draft picks on Dre Kirkpatrick and Darqueze Dennard over the past few years too. Salary cap charge under $8M.
UPDATE: The Bengals drafted Josh Shaw in the 4th round, not a high pick, but after spending two 1sts in their previous 3 drafts on corners, Hall may be available.

Marcus Cooper, age 25, Chiefs. 6'2, 192 lbs
Had a good start to his career, then slumped. Maybe he got found out after watching some tape. But he's young, has good size, and 2 years left on his contract unlike a lot of the names here. Salary cap charge would be around the minimum.
UPDATE: The Chiefs drafted Marcus Peters in the 1st round and Steven Nelson in the 3rd round. Doubt they cut Cooper yet, but maybe closer to training camp and 1st cuts.

Brandon Carr, age 28, Cowboys. 6'0, 210 lbs
Decent player but not worth his ridiculous contract. Could be cut by the Cowboys if they can't agree on a salary reduction. Salary cap charge would be $8M.
UPDATE: The Cowboys drafted Byron Jones in the 1st round, expected to play cornerback but has safety versatility.

As of last check, we have just under $10M in cap space. We could potentially save another $1.5M by getting rid of Wendell, which is a possibility after the draft picks we made.

+ Morris Claiborne. Again, Cowboys drafted a potential corner in the 1st and they also declined his 5th year option. They'd save $2.5M in a trade. The former 6th overall pick has played poorly and been injured and a total disappointment considering Dallas traded their 1st and 2nd to move up to get him.

He's still only 25 and stayed injury-free in college, which makes his last 3 years of non-stop injuries so frustrating. But for $2.5M, I'd be interested. He's got a lot of potential upside. Maybe we could move a safety like Harmon or Wilson as safety was a huge need for the Cowboys going into the draft.

+ Morris Claiborne. Again, Cowboys drafted a potential corner in the 1st and they also declined his 5th year option. They'd save $2.5M in a trade. The former 6th overall pick has played poorly and been injured and a total disappointment considering Dallas traded their 1st and 2nd to move up to get him.

He's still only 25 and stayed injury-free in college, which makes his last 3 years of non-stop injuries so frustrating. But for $2.5M, I'd be interested. He's got a lot of potential upside. Maybe we could move a safety like Harmon or Wilson as safety was a huge need for the Cowboys going into the draft.
Whats the word on his patellar tendon injury?

Always worth looking at fmr Top 10 picks. The problem is that he hasn't been close to playing like one.

Whats the word on his patellar tendon injury?

Always worth looking at fmr Top 10 picks. The problem is that he hasn't been close to playing like one.

Check out Claiborne's Wonderlic and tell me whether or not you think he'd be able to absorb the playbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back