Welcome to PatsFans.com

Some options after Dan Williams

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by furley, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furley

furley Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm hoping that Dan Williams falls to the New England pick in the first round. If not, there's still Torrell Troup or Cam Thomas in the second or third round.

Worst case scenario, you rely on Myron Pryor and thread water for a season. Not sure if Ron Brace will rebound...

Ndamukong Suh, Eric Berry headline pre-combine NFL draft board - NFL - SI.com

2. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

There are several NT or NT/DE options in this draft. I don't expect Wilfork to wind up elsewhere, but if that's the case NE will have at least one more first round pick to use.

3. furley

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm speaking in terms of good quality alternatives to Williams. I'm reading some of these players might not be ideal at nose tackle. For example, Kade Weston could be too tall, and Jared Odrick or Lamarr Houston's skills might translate better as a defensive end in a 4-3.

Those names I'd mentioned are players who could possibly succeed in a 3-4.

4. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Williams proj. 1/2
    Cody proj. 1/2
    Thomas proj. 2/3
    Troup proj. 3
    Joseph proj. 5/6
    Ross proj. 7
    Ivey proj. 7
    Tevaseu, Udofia, Duhart, Koroma, Weston, Granger, Toeaina, Heard... proj. PFA

As NT classes go, this is pretty deep. I'd take Ross in a heart beat if he could play consistently the way he did against Arkansas in their bowl game. I watched some UNC highlights and one thing that stands out when you look past all those flying DL in the backfield is that #93 anchoring against a couple blockers in the middle. Troup is the same kind of player. NE has the option of letting Williams and Cody go and still getting a player they can move inside or outside.

5. WhiZa

WhiZa Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I'm not a big fan of the potential NTs in this draft especially with Brace on the team who isn't much better or worse then the prospects coming out this year.

Keep an eye out for a flier on DeMarcus Granger. He would be a classic Patriots overshadowed pick.

6. patsfan-1982

patsfan-1982 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +46 / 7 / -2

after cody, i don't see any of the NT's as a upgrad over brace. and the only reason i say cody. is cause he is so big that i don't see any one other then mangold, moveing him one on one.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  7. alvinnf

alvinnf In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

One thing I loved about Seymours game was his ability to play over the nose on 3rd or passing downs. It would be great if we could find a 34 DE who could be kicked inside like Seymour. Or close to Seymour....

8. SanAngeloState

SanAngeloState Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Vince Oghobasse could play NT, I believe. He kind of reminds me of one "Richard Seymour". A little.:singing:

9. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +352 / 26 / -4

If we choose to trade Wilfork, I expect that we will be able to get Williams or Cody.

10. furley

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The latest...

New England has franchised Vince Wilfork. Both sides are still negotiating a new deal.

San Francisco has franchised Aubrayo Franklin. Reportedly, Franklin is available for a first round pick. Whether or not that's true, both sides are still negotiating a new deal.

Green Bay has franchised Ryan Pickett. Both sides are still negotiating a new deal.

Reportedly, Pittsburgh is close to a longterm deal with Casey Hampton. He hasn't been franchised but could be if a deal isn't struck before the deadline.

This is interesting in that, of these four teams, I suspect that the Patriots and the Steelers could use Williams the most. The biggest threat to select Williams ahead of these two teams is San Francisco. Because they own two first round picks, both picks come before Pittsburgh's and New England's.

I wonder would Miami select him. The Dolphins will select ahead of San Francisco. They've Paul Soliai (26) and Tony McDaniel (25) who'll both be free agents in 2011.

Nose tackle/depth

Vince Wilfork (28) and Ron Brace (23)

Aubrayo Franklin (29) and N/A

Ryan Pickett (30) and BJ Raji (23)

Casey Hampton (32) and Chris Hoke (33) (free agent in 2011)

11. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Good big men are hard to find...or move. Let's not forget Pryor and Wright have both played NT with decent success, and I'd expect Grady from the PSquad is more of a NT too.

12. furley

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What stinks is, I actually told myself that if Green Bay plans to resign Pickett, maybe Raji becomes available. I quickly reminded myself that Raji was a first round pick, young and won't be traded this soon. And Pickett is thirty.

I wonder could you trade Wilfork for Raji. That is, would Green Bay do it, not whether or not New England would do it.

13. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

GB would be stupid to trade Raji - he's perfect for their 3-4 version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.