PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some notes on Pats interest in a few prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE39

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
In this article about some draft prospects, there were some Patriots notes.

First, they had some info on Connor Barwin, who went into a little detail about his interview with the team:

But what's made Cincinnati's Barwin so special in this year's draft class is that he's a defensive end who can put quarterbacks into a panic, a linebacker with the range and quickness to attack the line of scrimmage or cover a receiver, a tight end who can catch and block effectively and a special teams star who covers well, blocks kicks and is a capable long-snapper...

During the 6-foot-4, 256-pound player's official visit with the Patriots, he had an opportunity to meet with coach Bill Belichick.

"He told me stay versatile, do as much as I can do, because with the Patriots I won't know how they're going to use me until I get there, and even then, it could switch halfway through the season," Barwin said.

New England's belief that he could play on either side of the football was reflected by the fact that he met with three offensive coaches and the defensive coordinator during his visit.

Also, there is some input on Western Illinois LB Jason Williams workout, which was impressive, and points out he had both an official visit and private workout with the Patriots.

Finally, there is a note on Kentucky WR ****y Lyons, who is coming back from a knee injury. He jokingly blames Peyton Manning for the injury, as Manning had given him encouragement for turning routes up and not going out of bounds during a camp (which is what happened when he was hurt). However, it ends with this bit of info:

Lyons says that he's about 80-percent recovered, has no limits on what he can do, and is now working out every day to continue to build strength in the knee. The Patriots have already put him through a workout that lasted roughly two hours, so Lyons, who sees himself as being cut from the same mold as Brandon Stokley and Wes Welker, is still optimistic that he has a bright future in pro football.

"If you're looking for a guy to play the slot, there's nobody more reliable and who can do it better than I can, that's how I honestly feel," he said. "I think I have the intelligence to read the coverages and to find those weaknesses in a defense."

I don't know much about the guy, but it is interesting they worked him out for 2 hours.

a special teams star who covers well, blocks kicks and is a capable long-snapper...

Well that cements it for me. Barwin will be a Patriot in 2009. ;-) THREE positions in one -- OLB/TE/LS. That versatility is really tough to beat.

Last edited:
Barwin really bothers me to take at 23 or even 34 for that matter because he was good at everything in college but i think he'll translate to a mediocre player in the league.

Barwin really bothers me to take at 23 or even 34 for that matter because he was good at everything in college but i think he'll translate to a mediocre player in the league.

You could make an argument that his floor is, say, Benjamin Watson. . . . :bricks:

FWIW, here's the article.

As for ****y Lyons, I don't know about the Welker/Stokely comparisons. I'm not sure I even want to know what he'd look like with a "'stache." :eek:

543322m.jpg

You could make an argument that his floor is, say, Benjamin Watson. . . . :bricks:

this draft scares the crap out of me i find this year more than any other year there seems to be more boom and bust players than ever before.

FWIW, here's the article.

As for ****y Lyons, I don't know about the Welker/Stokely comparisons. I'm not sure I even want to know what he'd look like with a "'stache." :eek:

543322m.jpg

..STOP...

collaborate and listen. go ninja go ninja go!

Last edited:
****y is a little ****y.

:confused:

Quote:
Lyons says that he's about 80-percent recovered, has no limits on what he can do, and is now working out every day to continue to build strength in the knee. The Patriots have already put him through a workout that lasted roughly two hours, so Lyons, who sees himself as being cut from the same mold as Brandon Stokley and Wes Welker, is still optimistic that he has a bright future in pro football.

I guess that means he's white?

Oh great, now I have seven draft binkies and Bill hasn't even met with most of them...;)

About a month ago they were discussing LB on NFLN and Mayock made the comment that Laurinaitis was suffering from over exposure - he'd been playing/scouted so long that evaluators had begun to nit pick.
Out of curiosity, whom might your binkies be?

this draft scares the crap out of me i find this year more than any other year there seems to be more boom and bust players than ever before.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That seems to be the opposite of what most people think.. Most people look at this draft and see a slew of very good players to be had in the 1st 3 rounds with very few boom/bust type players...

Well that cements it for me. Barwin will be a Patriot in 2009. ;-) THREE positions in one -- OLB/TE/LS. That versatility is really tough to beat.

It's great on paper, but if you draft Barwin in round 2, it had better be to play OLB, and if your LS gets hurt playing OLB, who is going to long snap?

It's great on paper, but if you draft Barwin in round 2, it had better be to play OLB, and if your LS gets hurt playing OLB, who is going to long snap?

I'm guessing that if they drafted Barwin, he would be a backup LS, in emergencies only. They have other players who can LS (remember—Paxton did end up on IR one year), so theoretically they didn't need to find a new LS, but BB feels it's an important enough function to merit a spot on the 45.

Last edited:

That's like asking, what if Paxton got hurt. Any player has risk of injury, you just find another player to do it and move on. But not having to spend a roster spot on a dedicated LS, that's such a huge plus in my book.

Out of curiosity, whom might your binkies be?

The seven in the article only because they all sound like they already play here...I guess you didn't notice the ;) indicative of I was just kidding...

I try not to develop binkies because doing so based on the limited information any amateur draftnik (and I'm not even that) can muster is just setting ones self up for disappointment in a BB draft. There will be much wailing here on Saturday and Sunday even if Bill in the final analysis (which we won't be able to make until 2011 or so) nails it. Like when he took Mayo last year even as I longed for Brandon Albert.

I tend to have broader "binky positions" I see as needing upgrades in talent. If we end day one with any three of the following five items on my wants/needs list addressed, I'll be good to go for TC. OLB/DE, ILB, OT/OG, DB/KR, 2010 first rounder. I trust BB to know better than I or any other evaluator which of the options in each grouping represents the best value to this team once we are actually on the clock.

The needs are pretty clear IMHO (but of course OT/OG talent upgrades have been setting my radar alarms off almost forever because of the value of The Franchise). I'm a big believer in the trenches adage, as well as one Bill often references - if you're not getting better in this league, you're getting worse.

Another safety would be nice but as BB said recently the position is evolving again and I'd rather add a hybrid/tweener DB with potential KR/PR capacity because I don't believe Merriweather or Sanders will be losing snaps to any rookie pure safety we'd take this year. Merriweather is coming into his own and Sanders is the replacement for Rodney's brain (if not quite his game) in the backfield. I've seen what this backfield morphs into absent a brain. Yet I can't imagine even a rookie first round CB starting in a BB secondary with Hobbs, Springs, Bodden, Wheatley and Whilhite already on the roster. That being the case, and since I'm sick of holding my breath every time Hobbs and Welker or even Faulk field a kick, a corner who can sub in certain packages and return kicks would be my goal. I would much rather see the first 3 picks go to OLB/ILB/OT and the remaining 3 go to DB/OG/the 2010 bank in no particular order (or the order that works best for BB). :D

About the only things that would seriously ruin my mood post draft would be us selecting a WR or RB or option QB before the end of the 3rd comp pick. DC's would pee their pants at the prospect of some option QB taking the ball out of Brady's hands for even a handful of snaps...

That's like asking, what if Paxton got hurt. Any player has risk of injury, you just find another player to do it and move on. But not having to spend a roster spot on a dedicated LS, that's such a huge plus in my book.

Yup, that's what they all say right up until he screws up a routine snap that costs you a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots