Welcome to PatsFans.com

Some New Music Released On iTunes

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wolfpack, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I know this isn't political, but I recommend you guys check out this group that just released some songs on iTunes. Of course, I am not talking to you, Holy Diver. We all know you refuse to actually pay for music - you'd rather steal it. :D But the rest of yall may find an enjoyable song or two.

[​IMG]
  2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +602 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

This never made sense to me ...

Michael jackson owned the entire catalog of Beatles music.

All we kept hearing was jackson was in debt ...

i kept wondering why he didn't release the catalog to raise money.

So...when he croaked i knew it was only a matter of time ... and it's long overdue.
  3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, he owned half the rights to almost all of the Beatles' songs.
    IMHO, it's because he just didn't give a crap about actually paying those debts. It should be noted that while the guy owed a lot of people a lot of money, he never actually had a negative net worth. He just had negative cash flow. He was never in danger of actually going bankrupt. He just didn't bother to pay debts.
    It is long overdue, but it was never really a matter of Michael Jackson's control over the music.

Believe it or not, one of the biggest hangups to this whole deal which took so long to consummate was a 30 year feud over the usage of the trademark "Apple."

[​IMG] versus [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

It is Iodd that they never were available on itunes, since these were the guys who started "apple records"

Great job twisting my stance on music. I have stated that the best way to support an artist is to go see them live. In this case...especially with the Beatles...You have not been supporting John, Paul, Ringo and George, you have been supporting Michael Jackson. Jesus Juice!

way to support the artist!

(BTW, I own almost every Beatles album on Wax)
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  5. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +345 / 6 / -7

Why pay for what you can get for free :D
  6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13

Aren't the publishing rights ($$$ when a song is played on the radio or recorded by another artist) different from the royalities on sales of songs?

I always got mad that C Berry & Bo Diddley (and many others) got hosed and got neither publishing rights nor royalites fro their songs.
  7. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

On wax? :confused: Do you mean on vinyl? :confused: I don't think I've ever heard that term "on wax." But then again, I didn't tour with some obscure music act that no one has ever heard of.

Anyways, the writers of the songs get 50% royalties on them. How do you think Paul McCartney made hundreds of millions of dollars over the past 2 decades? Royalties from Wings? You know for someone who once lectured me on how you know so much more than me about the music industry, you sure don't seem to know terribly much about it at all. I'm so sorry, Uncle Albert, but you're not as smart as you think you are.

BTW, since you accuse me of twisting your stance, please feel free to set us all straight regarding your position on the matter: Do you think it is OK or not OK to file share copyrighted music?
  8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes, they are. Michael Jackson owned the publishing rights for (most of) the Beatles' catalog. It seems not many people realize that the Fab-4 themselves (or their estates) are still making truckloads of cash hand over fist on those songs.
  9. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Typical liberal. Thinks everyone owes him a free ride and has no problem stealing intellectual property.
  10. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Beatles made billions from making hippie music. I enjoy the irony thinking of them complaining about someone sharing their music.
  11. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +345 / 6 / -7

You can keep paying for your music, while I'll be getting it for free.

But hey, at least you can still express your meaningless faux outrage on an Internet message board!
  12. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes, I will continue getting my music legally and you can continue stealing it. I will continue using iTunes or purchasing and ripping CD's - and before HD chimes in with his usual lameness, ripping CD's for personal use is perfectly legal so long as you don't share the files.

I can understand why someone would steal something, but what I don't understand is the mentality that makes them proud of it. :confused:
    The only outrage is coming from your imagination. I'm just pointing out that you are stealing something (and for some reason you are proud of it) and how your actions fit in perfectly with your liberalism, i.e. everyone owes you a free ride and you don't owe no one nothin'.
  13. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Would'nt it be ironic if the downfall of MJ and his estate led to the releasing the Beatles music on I-tunes. Or are they not related?
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

"Hard Days Night", ""Norwegian Wood" and "Helter Skelter" are my favorite Beatles tunes. Got everything on wax, anyways, though. I tried listening on CD but I missed the "pops" and "ticks" I am conditioned to on my turntable.
  15. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They aren't really related. This is the culmination of several years of negotiating, none of which had much of anything to do with Michael Jackson, either before he died or after.

As I mentioned in another post, the biggest hangup was a 30 year old argument over the usage of the trademark "Apple" which got especially heated in the mid-to-late-90's when Apple Computers started making their way into the music industry.
  16. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There it is again - "on wax"! :bricks: :bricks:
  17. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +345 / 6 / -7

I wouldn't call it pride. I would call it apathy or indifference. Much the same feeling I get when I jaywalk, see people smoking marijuana, or when Comcast leaves the cable on in my apartment from the previous tenant and decides not to bill me for it.

As for your ascribing this view to my liberalism, of which you give a very hackneyed and incoherent description, your point might make an ounce of sense if it were only liberals who fileshare, which is most assuredly not true.
  18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I think filesharing is okay.

sharing music is fine, reselling it is an infringment.

And I know how publishing works...again twisting my shiznit. YOU are the one who is telling us all how we support artists by buying albums, I'm telling you that Michael Jackson did exactly jack squat to produce a beatles album, yet he profits from it. Way to Go Music Industry.

Funny thig is, you've certainly purchased a few things of mine. Last year alone, I moved over 4 million 'items'. I understand perfectly how SAG, AFTRA and ASCAP work.

I still can't understand for the life of me that you somehow have never heard of Radiohead, and refer to them as a band that "No on has heard of"

RADIOHEAD Live Tour Dates

You are bugging on the term WAX? too? holy crap! what section of "square-ville" are you from? What cave do you dwell in?

My father even calls it WAX, dude was a DJ back in the 50s.

this is planet Earth.
  19. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

OK, so then how did I misrepresent your position when I said you would have no problem stealing the music? I know you don't like me calling a spade a spade, but it is stealing. All your hatred for corporations does nothing to change that fact.
    This is just a ridiculous complaint. Michael Jackson bought the publishing rights to (most of) the Beatles' catalog fair and square. He outbid Paul McCartney and Yoko Ono. He had more money and he spent it.

But you seem to be woefully unaware that the original Beatles (or their estates) are still making money hand over fist on all the Beatles sales over the past 30 years, whether we are talking about "wax," cassettes, CD's, Rock Band, or now finally iTunes.
    Awful lot of "amphitheaters" and "pavilions" on that link, and not so many "stadiums" and "arenas", huh? Looks like they can pack all of 2,000 people into the Cruzan Amphitheatre! Plenty of lawn seats still available!
    Hey, what can I say? Guilty as charged! I never owned a single vinyl record in my life and I confess I am not terribly well versed on the nicknames for technologies that were already obsolete by the time I was buying my own music devices. You got me there, so I gladly defer to your expertise in that area.
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0