PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some interesting vets being cut/FA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Some interesting vets being cut

Force them to declare Polamalu vs get declaration then deduce is semantics in my mind. Meh.

Towards the Maroney thing, that's where the academics of x's and o's can lead one astray in player eval. He only freelanced once he either a) was impatient behind his directional blocks or b) couldn't be decisive enough on his reads in zone. It wasn't that he was trying to be Barry Sanders or Chris Johnson, he just didn't know how to play his position. I think Maroney's (Maronies?) issues were fullback related, minorly tight end related, and least of all playing depth related. Patience and decision making. What makes BJGE good is what made Maroney ineffective.

Lastly, I don't know how you're going to pin and pull on inside zone against an upfield 34. That's called blown up in the backfield. As far as I understand it pin and pull is just a variation of outside zone where you get your uncovered linemen to pull instead of waiting for the wash and trying to reach. Smart against fast fronts that can move with you, but far too slow developing to effectively be ran inside at the pro level. Where's Mankins gonna go? Pull inside Koppen to pickup the backside ILB while Connoly posts the playside? That sounds a little too modified and nonsensical. I dunno, that was purely speculative, and I'm sure Chris Brown's posted something where he links to that play but conceptually that makes no sense. Meh, whatever, impossible to talk plays without 11 on 11.

You are probably more of an expert on this than I ever will be. My understanding is that on IZ, the RB aims to the outside hip of the OG.

Also the definition of a pin and pull as I understand it is that uncovered linemen pull, uncovered linemen block back. Perhaps it did start out as OZ pin and pull but ended up as an IZ only because BJGE cut inside on Mankin's pull (which technically makes it IZ?)? I am aware that the pin and pull is a variant on the OZ, but if you say there is no such thing as an IZ pin and pull, then I am wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back