PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some interesting numbers in this week's defensive snaps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, all depends on the matchups each week. Players know this as well.

I'd expect to see a bit more of Meriweather this week too. Reason being is that he's better in coverage than Page is and the Packers are a pass-first team - even without Rodgers. I would also expect to see Chung in the slot a good amount depending on McCourty's playing situation.

I'd expect to see a bit more of Meriweather this week too. Reason being is that he's better in coverage than Page is and the Packers are a pass-first team - even without Rodgers. I would also expect to see Chung in the slot a good amount depending on McCourty's playing situation.

Yes, it will be interesting to see what they do to replace McCourty of he is unable to go. I think it will be a combination of a few things, I dont think it will be as simple as just throwing Butler out there every play. I can see like you said Chung playing in the slot, which would give Meriweather more plays as well.

I don't think Merriweather is long for this time.
Hope he steps up and proves me wrong.

yeah, i said something similar as believe his contract is up at the end of next year and be interesting to see what sort of money he wants. If he wants pro-bowl type money I think we trade him or let him go and look to draft a replacement

This conversation is interesting as it speaks to the depth and quality of this team, not real confident that too many teams can differ this many defensive looks and play to the strengths of the individual player....

What has impressed throughout the year, is the number of combinations that BB has used to make this team better... along with integrating a whole bunch of new guys...

also

CB Kyle Arrington -- 44 of 45

shows how much he's improved week on week, he's been excellent the last 2 games

also

I am actually amazing at how good he's been playing lately. I never thought he would even be a good number 2 corner but he's proving me wrong.

also

He has been playing almost every play ever since he took over for Butler. He is playing very well.

I assume they wanted sure tacklers to prevent big plays on the ground, and due to the weather they knew the long ball wasn't an option.

Haven't the Pats allowed the fewest plays of 40+ yards in the NFL? If their deep safety (Meriweather) was really as bad/average as his detractors claim, perhaps they're just lucky?

I don't really understand why the Patriots, having spent a 1st round pick to select him, would let a good player go just so they could expend more draft pick(s) to acquire a replacement. Doesn't make much sense.

Last edited:
I assume they wanted sure tacklers to prevent big plays on the ground, and due to the weather they knew the long ball wasn't an option.

Haven't the Pats allowed the fewest plays of 40+ yards in the NFL? If their deep safety (Meriweather) was really as bad/average as his detractors claim, perhaps they're just lucky?

I don't really understand why the Patriots, having spent a 1st round pick to select him, would let a good player go just so they could expend more draft pick(s) to acquire a replacement. Doesn't make much sense.

I agree that I think Meriweather has played great, and in this case its not so much what happens when he's in the game, as what DOESN'T happen.

Reiss had a stat in his espn blog earlier this week, just like you said - the pats have allowed one pass over 40 yards all year.

Sanders has been playing out of his mind recently, and Chung is a great run-stopper for the safety position, but Meriweather's contributions are just as important - His ability to prevent big plays helps make our bend-don't-break defense work - it forces offenses to go for intermediate/short passes instead of long bombs for TDs.

I also agree with what somebody else in this thread says - I think BB will keep Meriweather at the right price, but again its not clear what that price will be.

If Meriweather wants to be the highest paid safety in the game, he's probably gone and we'll either trade him or let him walk after this year.

However, if he's willing to accept a fair deal, I could see us re-signing him - he sort of strikes me as a Ty Warren kind of a guy for our defense as he's not a fan favorite, and other guys on our D get hyped way more than him nationally, but he's a key cog and helps make BB's D run the way its supposed to.

Based on the conditions, etc... I wouldn't spend much energy trying to derive meaning from snaps played. This Sunday at home against the pack will have more meaning in overall perspective.

In what might be a major snowstorm? :eek: Perhaps not. :)

Anyone actually surprised? In recent weeks before the game, the Bears' offense has shown signs of marked improvement because of the legs of Forte not the arm of Cutler. Of course the Pats were going to stop the run and force Cutler to throw because they knew if they asked Cutler to win the game, he would make mistakes.

As for Meriweather, I wouldn't read too much into his playing time for this week. It is clear they had their best run defenders on the field for most of the time. If we see a continuing trend, then we can read into it. The Patriots are about gearing their team to the opposition. They would sit Wilfork, Mayo, and McCourty if they thought that other players for a particular game gave them a better chance of winning.

This.

And I wouldn't exactly call what Page was playing Safety. He's kind of the S/LB tweener, where hes playing exclusively run support.

also

Or how little depth there is behind him.

Our CBs as of about 5 minutes into the 2nd quarter look like this:

Bodden(IR)
McCourty (hurt)
Arrington
Butler
Wilhite(IR)
Jackson (signed 2 days earlier)
Tony Carter (PS)

Who the heck else could have played?

45 defense snaps is pretty good too. Good 3rd down play and the turnovers helped with that. Wilfork has shown that he can be a 3 down lineman as well. Sanders quietly has had a very very good season.
Yeah, that's the biggest stat that jumped out at me. A defense is typically on the field for what, about 65-75 snaps per game? Only have to be out there for 45 plays is great work.

Yeah, that's the biggest stat that jumped out at me. A defense is typically on the field for what, about 65-75 snaps per game? Only have to be out there for 45 plays is great work.

Some credit to the offense too which put together a few really good, long drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back