S James Sanders -- 45 of 45
S Patrick Chung -- 44 of 45
S Jarrad Page -- 29 of 45
S Brandon Meriweather -- 14 of 45
CB Darius Butler -- 30 of 45
DL Vince Wilfork -- 43 of 45
DL Ron Brace -- 25 of 45

Defensive snaps: Meriweather slips - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

It looks like the staff was a lot more worried about the running game than about Cutler and the passing game.

Also, good to see that Butler was in for 30 snaps and held up.

Last edited:
45 defense snaps is pretty good too. Good 3rd down play and the turnovers helped with that. Wilfork has shown that he can be a 3 down lineman as well. Sanders quietly has had a very very good season.

Did Merri drop on the depth chart? Says he was only in the dime package and Page was in nickel.
Don't remember it being like that before this week

It looked like the Pats played a lot of single-high Cover 1 Man against the Bears with Sanders in the box, so it must have been Pat Chung back there at free safety.

Either Meriweather has fallen down the depth chart, or they moved him to a reserve role at CB/S since they were short on CBs. I think he spent most of his day working in the slot.

I don't think Merriweather is long for this time.
Hope he steps up and proves me wrong.

I don't think Merriweather is long for this time.
Hope he steps up and proves me wrong.

Be careful, I got killed for stating the same thing a while back. lol!

Seriously though, Brandon isn't really a run support guy, and in that weather, his snaps were probably limited to obvious passing downs only.

Last edited:
Anyone actually surprised? In recent weeks before the game, the Bears' offense has shown signs of marked improvement because of the legs of Forte not the arm of Cutler. Of course the Pats were going to stop the run and force Cutler to throw because they knew if they asked Cutler to win the game, he would make mistakes.

As for Meriweather, I wouldn't read too much into his playing time for this week. It is clear they had their best run defenders on the field for most of the time. If we see a continuing trend, then we can read into it. The Patriots are about gearing their team to the opposition. They would sit Wilfork, Mayo, and McCourty if they thought that other players for a particular game gave them a better chance of winning.

BM snaps were a function of the D game plan, more running + bad weather + missing CB (after McCourty departure) = more Page and less BM

Be careful, I got killed for stating the same thing a while back. lol!

Seriously though, Brandon isn't really a run support guy, and in that weather, his snaps were probably limited to obvious passing downs only.

Pats fans were overeager to crown Meriweather the next Polamalou/non-injured Bob Sanders. He's better than average but he's not a dominant force. Chung and James Sanders are outplaying him.

Sanders, especially, is a leader who lacks Meriweather's physical talents but is a much more football-savvy player IMO.

I love Meriweather, he has yet to lose us a game and has set the tone in many. He also has a knack for truck sticking TEs. (Heap, Shockey)

Last edited:
Seems like Sanders has overtaken Meriweather, at least this week. I think Sanders is playing his best ball ever. He's made a major jump this year.

I think they like to utilize Meriweather in passing downs and in situations where they need a presence in the deep center of the defense. I think this is where the Patriots feel he is at his best and possibly a liability in other situations.

I dont think Meriweather has fallen down the depth chart, he was in for almost every snap vs the Jets if I remember correctly but I could be wrong. BB is all about match ups and hes going to put in the best player for the job depending on opposing offenses and players.

Moore 21
Cunningham 24
Banta-Cain 28
Ninkovich 12
Brace 25

I guess it doesn't take all those months to learn our defense after all.

Anyone actually surprised? In recent weeks before the game, the Bears' offense has shown signs of marked improvement because of the legs of Forte not the arm of Cutler. Of course the Pats were going to stop the run and force Cutler to throw because they knew if they asked Cutler to win the game, he would make mistakes.

Add to this the fact that the Bears' passing attack was hindered by that wind.

Based on the conditions, etc... I wouldn't spend much energy trying to derive meaning from snaps played. This Sunday at home against the pack will have more meaning in overall perspective.

I dont think Meriweather has fallen down the depth chart, he was in for almost every snap vs the Jets if I remember correctly but I could be wrong. BB is all about match ups and hes going to put in the best player for the job depending on opposing offenses and players.

The Jets game stats show you're spot on in your comments. BB is situational week to week plus during the game.

It looked like the Pats played a lot of single-high Cover 1 Man against the Bears with Sanders in the box, so it must have been Pat Chung back there at free safety.

Either Meriweather has fallen down the depth chart, or they moved him to a reserve role at CB/S since they were short on CBs. I think he spent most of his day working in the slot.

Not sure about that. I saw Chung playing quite a bit of nickel corner.

The Jets game stats show you're spot on in your comments. BB is situational week to week plus during the game.

Yeah who knows what will see Sunday vs GB, but Id bet Meriweather's snap count is going to go up significantly.

Yeah who knows what will see Sunday vs GB, but Id bet Meriweather's snap count is going to go up significantly.

I agree, all depends on the matchups each week. Players know this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes