PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some Interesting comments about UDFA Freddie Roach

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseRules

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=139228&format=&page=2

And as for the concerns about his speed (4.88 and 4.87 times in the 40-yard dash at his pro day), the Alabama folks are quick to point out that he was actually assigned to cover Patriots second-round pick Chad Jackson when the Crimson Tide played Florida. When Jackson was lined up in the slot, he’d be jammed and funneled inside to Roach, who would try to knock around the Gators star.

That afternoon, Jackson finished with eight catches for just 50 yards (6.3 average) and didn’t get in the end zone. Alabama won, 31-3.

“Turn the tape on and watch him play with those guys,†Kines said. “A 40 time is a great tool, but turn on the tape and look . . . show me when he got beat. He’s a ballplayer.â€

That's some serious props from Joe Kines (Alabama Defensive coordinator).
The rest of the article is very good,IMO. I've been curious about this guy since he was signed by the Pats. Has anyone here seen him play?

i saw a couple of crimson tide games

DefenseRules said:
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=139228&format=&page=2
That's some serious props from Joe Kines (Alabama Defensive coordinator).
The rest of the article is very good,IMO. I've been curious about this guy since he was signed by the Pats. Has anyone here seen him play?
i don't remember him sticking out. i did notice that alabama seemed to have the usual complement of sideline-to-sideline LBs. florida's sweeps and screens were pretty much swallowed up by pursuit all night.
but here's the situation. a major college player, leader type on the field, highly regarded by his coaches, kinda ferocious, lotta tackles. regarded as too small and too slow by the scouting gurus.
smile.
he'll certainly be worth watching in TC.

As of now, Roach is the UDFA with the highest chance of making the squad (still slim). I think we've all agreed on that since Draft Day. After all, he was on many lists as an early Day Two pick. The issue will be his play, injuries, and whether he beats out Gardner, Alexander and the rest if someone goes to IR.

Thanks for the info guys. I really didn't know much about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots