PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some Insight: The Pats Asked for the Giants

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've no reason to doubt your story dude.... But we'll all had our share of "I know a guy, that knows a guy"..... ;)

That said..... It would not surprise me a bit. San Fran is a better team then NY. Statistically, the NYG are not nearly as formidable as some of the other NFC teams we could have faced. Sure, they won to get here, but they certainly are not nearly as fearful (statistically) as GB, NO or SF.

Also, there is the whole revenge factor, which I certainly think there is something more to that then people know.

There are many great posts in this thread, but I'll respond to this one. I, like you, know I've read many posts about "I know a guy that knows a guy." In fact, I was a bit nervous about posting the story because I just knew some smart-@ss would come in and try to clown (I'm not talking about you specifically). I was very skeptical of the whole story. However, the guy whipped out his phone and showed me pictures of the boys. He had pictures specifically with Mayo and Ninko. The rest of the guys I saw were in the background. He didn't show me a picture of BB, but he did say that he shook his hand. He was the same dude who told me earlier in the season that Warren was never going to play another down in the NFL unless it was for BB and the Patriots. He told me that Warren absolutely LOVES New England and says all the time that he wishes he started playing for the Pats earlier in his career.

Living in Gainesville, it's not too hard at all to run into current and former Gators. In fact, I took a picture with Spikes, Dunlap, and Louis Murphy during the lockout. I only kept the one with Spikes and I can certainly post it if you all want to see it.

Patriot_in_NY, I don't want you to think that I took offense to what you said. I just wanted to respond to it because I know it's difficult to believe, but this really and truly happened today. I saw the pictures with my own eyes. And the happy feeling that you all got by reading my post is the same happy feeling I got after he showed me the pictures and told me that the boys wanted the Giants. He left with a confident smile on his face and, even if fleeting, it left me with a confidence I haven't had since the end of the AFCCG.

I don't understand this thought. What does SB42 have anything to do with the revenge factor? Last I checked, most of the guys on this team were on the team that got a loss handed to them at home in November. Watch that game again, and I understand both teams are quite a bit different now but it took an embarrassing last minute drive by Manning on this D for us to lose the game. We had over 4 turnovers that game and still almost won it. I could definately see this team foaming at the mouth to get another chance at Manning and the Giants. If my time line is off then I apologize.

In reference to the 1st Bolded statement:
When most people (if not all) mention the NYG revenge factor... it is in reference to TGTSNBM. Not to a regular season loss.

In reference to the 2nd one:
You are re-emphasizing my point. This team wants to face the Giants aagain because they believe (based on their last game) that they have a better shot at beating them.

In 2011 regular season the Giants D gave up 25 points per game. The 49rs gave up 14.3 points per game.

There are many great posts in this thread, but I'll respond to this one. I, like you, know I've read many posts about "I know a guy that knows a guy." In fact, I was a bit nervous about posting the story because I just knew some smart-@ss would come in and try to clownl

Sorry, I was busy watching a chick flick with my wife.

practically none of these guys were here in 2007, so I kind of doubt they want revenge for the superbowl loss, but it wouldn't surprise me if they want a rematch for the regular season beating.

I don't know if you played sports competitively in your life, but as someone who did, I can tell you that the history of the team you play for matters to you. You are aware of it and you wanna part of it. I'm sure the young players on the Pats want to take their revenge for 2008, even if they were still in college back then. Patriots history is their history and they're proud of it.

In 2011 regular season the Giants D gave up 25 points per game. The 49rs gave up 14.3 points per game.

And as scary as the Giants' pass rushers are, I think Aldon and Justin Smith would've scared me more :eek:

I don't know if you played sports competitively in your life, but as someone who did, I can tell you that the history of the team you play for matters to you. You are aware of it and you wanna part of it. I'm sure the young players on the Pats want to take their revenge for 2008, even if they were still in college back then. Patriots history is their history and they're proud of it.
I did play sports competitively, although it was only college baseball at the Division II level (and I was one of three walk-ons so I didn't have a scholarship). But I believe what I've read here and I really think it has 95% to do with the game the Pats lost to the Giants this year. Honestly, with only 7, or so, guys left from the SB 4 years ago, the others of the 53, plus practice squad guys plus those on IR from this year remember the last game they lost almost 3 months ago. IMO, that's what fueled them rooting for the Giants. They want a chance for payback for 3 months ago, more than 4 years ago.

Last edited:
I did play sports competitively, although it was only college baseball at the Division II level (and I was one of three walk-ons so I didn't have a scholarship). But I believe what I've read here and I really think it has 95% to do with the game the Pats lost to the Giants this year. Honestly, with only 7, or so, guys left from the SB 4 years ago, the others of the 53, plus practice squad guys plus those on IR from this year remember the last game they lost almost 3 months ago. IMO, that's what fueled them rooting for the Giants. They want a chance for payback for 3 months ago, more than 4 years ago.

I agree that it might have more to do with avenging the week 9 loss, but my point was that athletes usually take pride in the jersey they were and the history of the organization it represents. Most guys didn't play in SB42, but I'm sure most care.

Agreed, I think they KNOW they can beat them and exactly how to do it, cant wait til Sunday, that story got my psyched.
I'm sure they would know whether they could beat a team or not. If the story is true, (and i think it is) it sounds like the pats feel pretty confident that they can beat NY. For all the hype coming out of the NY Media (the latest is the Giants are a Dream Team) they were still 9-7 in the regular season. They had some injurys but so doesn't every team

I liked your story (literally... by clicking the button), But it has to be more about the matchup, and their familiarity with the Giants.
Because I don't think it can be for revenge.
All of the players you mentioned weren't with the team during the 2007 SB loss.

They were there for the 2011 loss on nov 6th though.

There are many great posts in this thread, but I'll respond to this one. I, like you, know I've read many posts about "I know a guy that knows a guy." In fact, I was a bit nervous about posting the story because I just knew some smart-@ss would come in and try to clown (I'm not talking about you specifically).

It's all good....... I wasn't doubting your story..... (it quite a good one actually). Since you've been here awhile, you can probably remember quite a few past "knew a guy" threads....... They sometimes get ugly. That was my only point. It wasn't a dig at you at all. Apologies if it came across that way.

Also, in the rest of my post, you'll notice that the Patriots reaction does't surprise me at all. For many reasons. You have the familiarity factor. The whole "give us another crack at them" aspect..... Plus, there is the whole karma thing about getting to right an old wrong.

p.s By the way.......... your buddy is one lucky dude.

It's all good....... I wasn't doubting your story..... (it quite a good one actually). Since you've been here awhile, you can probably remember quite a few past "knew a guy" threads....... They sometimes get ugly.

Ah, NEM's late night phone calls. Good times.

It's funny how none of us fans wanted to play the Giants, but the players themselves did.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Speak for yourself, my friend.

I was PRAYING for the Giants!! :rocker:

I liked your story (literally... by clicking the button), But it has to be more about the matchup, and their familiarity with the Giants.
Because I don't think it can be for revenge.
All of the players you mentioned weren't with the team during the 2007 SB loss.

How about revenge for the Patriots loss the Giant THIS year?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Speak for yourself, my friend.

I was PRAYING for the Giants!! :rocker:

You don't count brah...cuz you're

Off The Grid

:D

Let us know when you're back on the grid and we can talk.

In reference to the 1st Bolded statement:
When most people (if not all) mention the NYG revenge factor... it is in reference to TGTSNBM. Not to a regular season loss.

In reference to the 2nd one:
You are re-emphasizing my point. This team wants to face the Giants aagain because they believe (based on their last game) that they have a better shot at beating them.

/Yawn. Ya, regular season losses don't matter. We all know a team couldn't want revenge because of something that happened during the regular season.

In reference to your second point, you're implying the Pats wanted the Giants because they are familiar with them? I could see that from a coach's standpoint but to suggest that the players were scared to play the 49ers is a joke. If they were then they have no right to be on the field Sunday. Nonsense man.

Personally I believe Gerard Warren has to have a big game today if the Patriots are going to pressure Eli. He has been getting decent pressure at the back end of the season and hope it lasts for one more game.

/Yawn. Ya, regular season losses don't matter. We all know a team couldn't want revenge because of something that happened during the regular season.

In reference to your second point, you're implying the Pats wanted the Giants because they are familiar with them? I could see that from a coach's standpoint but to suggest that the players were scared to play the 49ers is a joke. If they were then they have no right to be on the field Sunday. Nonsense man.

I absolutely have a hard time believing that a team roots for a certain opponent in th superbowl, so they can avenge a regular season loss. Especially when that loss ended up not costing them a thing (1st round bye, home field advantage.. etc.)

And please point out where I said the Pats were afraid (scared) to play the 49er's.That's right, you can't point it out because I never said anything resembling it.
Please stop putting words in my mouth.

What is the argument?

The Patriots lost to the Giants earlier and felt they could have played better.
They were hoping to get another shot at them to prove they were better than they played. Pretty basic stuff.

There are a lot of posts out here from people who claim to have some sort of "inside" information on the Patriots players, team or organization.

I never believe them because I assume that anyone who has inside information on the Pats doesn't talk about it and anyone who has truly good inside stuff wouldn't be taking his/her time to post it here anyway.

That said, your post has a ring of truth to it because the "source" isn't inside the Pats but is a friend of some Patriots players who got a rare inside look at the team but wasn't close enough to the team to know that it's a big "NO NO" to talk about it.

(BTW, I don't think you've done your friend any favors if Warren somehow finds out that that information got public and he is credited as the source. Probably a good way to get on Coach's bad side.)

So, I'm inclined to believe you. Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back