Welcome to PatsFans.com

Some good economic news

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by STFarmy, May 2, 2008.

1. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Some will dismiss it, some will embrace it. Take of this article what you will, I just found it interesting.

More signs the world isn't ending
    The economy is still weak but the latest job numbers prove once again that the worst may be over.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The worst-case scenarios just aren't playing out.

Yes, companies cut jobs again, we learned today, for the fourth straight month. In April, 20,000 jobs were lost, but economists on average expected a loss of 80,000 - some feared more than 100,000 cuts.

What's more, the unemployment rate dipped from 5.1% to 5%. Most thought it would tick higher.

Full article: http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/02/markets/thebuzz/index.htm?postversion=2008050210

2. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

The economy is in bad shape is Goood news :confused:

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  3. MosiT

MosiT Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We're only in la slowdown.

This is the part of the article I found interesting.

And the government reported today that factory orders for March rose 1.4%, much higher than expected.

Obviously if you set your goal much lower than it should be it is fairly easy to end up with an actual figure that is "higher than expected."

Not unusual for this administration to fudge numbers.

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,115 / 3 / -10

We don't want any good news until the Hated Bush is Gone, if there is any good news don't talk about it.

Jesus Christ

5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

No fudged numbers, no bad news pretending to be good. The rate of change is what's important, things have gone from dropping like a stone to just drifting down. Which means a positive force has held the bottom and started moving things forward again. The rate of change is now positive and it that continues then we will gain jobs next month. Just like if an object is coming at you and you give it a push, for the objects keeps coming at you but at a slower rate then if you keep pushing it stops and starts moving in the other direction. The rate of change, just like in Calculus class, has slowed and will start in a position direction if the positive direction continues.

The most important thing is we have almost certainly bottomed now.

6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

Well, I'll continue to.. [​IMG]... and say that employment data will be critical in the next few months. As long as people are working, the bump in the road will be a pothole, and not a pit. This is a good sign, but still not indicitive that the worst has passed. I'm not too sure we're moving forward just yet. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a slight retraction in Q2. If there isn't, then we'll be ok. Employment data, remember that come June & July.

7. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I didn't say that the economy was in good shape; only that there are some economists who feel that there is positive amongst all the negative. It's a contrast the doom-and-gloom economic forecasts of some.

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,115 / 3 / -10

If it is REALLY AND TRULY "GOOD NEWS" the Far left Wing Neo Libs will say it isn't or they will say
    "Cheney made it up"

So, whats the sense of talking about it

:bricks:

9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +445 / 11 / -14

The economy may have hit bottom without entering recession. Th market have recouped their losses and the dlooar is strengthening against the Eur/Yen abd GBP.

The markets are usually lok 6 months ahead, whoever is the next presidnet will claim credit for the recoverywhichis happening now. If we announced an ageressive plan for developing our own energy then the energy speculator would have to cover their longs and the prices would come down rapidly.

10. MosiT

MosiT Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Not even close to reality. We are in deep crap and the pile of crap will continue to get bigger and bigger until changes are made in Washington at the executive level, plain and simple.

You don't have to be a stuffy economist to see the truth of what life is like in America for probably, 80- 90% of the people.

11. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Not even close to reality, but thank you for playing NEMosiT.

12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +445 / 11 / -14

And what changes are those?

13. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That's NEMosiT speak for "as soon as George W. Bush moves back to Crawford everything will be terrific!"

14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

Ha, NEMosi thinks life sucks for 80-90% of people. What a joke. It's OK, NEMosi, the economy has bottomed and it wasn't that deep of a bottom. Sorry to tell you this but everything's going to be OK.

15. MosiT

MosiT Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Some people refuse to open their eyes to reality, closing their eyes to the disaster of the past seven years and the culmination of it as it is happening now.

Anyone with common sense and intelligence can easily see just by being on the outside, on the streets, in the stores, grocery shopping, buying clothing, gasoline and just about anything and everything, that the average American has been placed in a total squeeze situation and I haven't even mentioned the cost of health care or prescriptions if they should get sick.

Prices and just every day average living expenses have shot up and up while earning power has decreased and the American dollar becomes less and less valuable.

Will everything be terrific once this administration is removed from power? Nope, not right away but at least the trend as it is now stands a good chance of being reversed. Of course we can always continue the same thing that is happening now, with John McCain, and see what happens although I am sure that most Americans know what will happen. As bad as if is now, it will get a lot worse.

People that thumb their noses at the crisis this country is facing, including some of the posters in this forum, are part of the crisis itself.

If you cant accept that there is a problem and a serious one at that, then the problem remains that, a problem and never gets corrected.

And if you cant comprehend that this all happened in the last seven years while this administration was calling the shots and place the blame where it logically belongs, then your eyes are forever closed to the truth and that is the pity of it all.

I am sure that the legend would agree as would most logical and intelligent people.

16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +445 / 11 / -14

Well at least we've moved beyond teh Bush / Cheney impeachment nonsense.

BTW Pelosi and Reid has a plan to reduce the high gas prices when they were runing in 2006, well so far they haven't introduced any legislation after blocking Bush, energy plan. Can we expect their secret plan anytime soon?

17. MosiT

MosiT Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Let me say this. Apparently you don't have a mind of your own seeing as you are doing exactly what a.paul tells you to do and call me NEMosi. If you want to show your ignorance and not have the intelligence of your own, continue doing it but as I said the legend and I are two different entities altogether.

If you want to expose yourself as a follower and not a leader, be my guest.

And for the record, if there is no change in Washington at the executive level everything will not be ok. Not even close for the majority of Americans but if it is ok for you I guess in your mind that is all that matters. Why am I not surprised that would be your way of thinking?

Basically your outlook on life in this nation is "Screw all others as long as I am ok." That pretty much sums up what I have read of you.

The legend had at you many times and believe me I will continue what he started, expose you for what you are.

You are what being an American is not all about. But of course you could care less. You are without a doubt of the "me" generation. Screw all others is your philosophy.

All Americans are equal and if I made it and they didn't, thats their problem, not mine. That's your mind thought and don't try to tell us any different as you have made it known many times.

What goes around comes around.

18. MosiT

MosiT Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Oil Company wndfall profits tax was defeated by repubs under threat of veto from Bush.

American Oil companies are reporting their biggest profits in history even though the American public is suffering at the gas pump and yet the oil companies say its not because of higher prices.

The windfall tax bill would have capped those profits and forced them to pay more in taxes to the government instead of keeping the windfall profits for themselves, thus giving them no more reasons to increase the cost of oil. As long las they could keep those excess profits without fear of having to pay more taxes then they will just continue to let the cost increase along with their higher than ever profits.

Also, the wealthy trading in Oil Futures drives the price higher, too.

Not to worry though because with a Democratic administration and a congress with a bigger democratic majority come January 2009, this will all change.

You can crow all you want to right now but it only has a few months to go and then all is different in America and America can return to it's place in the world, respected and honored once again and the American people can return to a life that millions have died to preserve of two plus centuries only to see it torn down in a short seven.

Laugh now but you wont have the last laugh.

19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

a.paul didn't tell me to do anything - I just thought the name was quote original and a great fit for what is going on.

No, NEM, that is not my outlook. I want everyone to do well. The rich, the poor, the middle class and, yes, me. As opposed to you who wants anyone making over 50K to go to jail from what I can tell.

20. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

NEMosi is (holds fingers up) thiiiiis far from calling everyone who doesn't agree with him a criminal, it appears.