PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some FAs that would look really good in the Flying Elvis

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Tank Williams - S - I am amazed this kid is still available. Hopefully the Pats will get his name on the dotted line. That would give them ALL SORTS of flexibility in the secondary and with the draft.

Reche Caldwell - WR - The kid got to know the JUGS machine very well and really improved. Now he's almost like a vacuum cleaner. Would make a great #3 receiver who could help shake things up. Also could help on the kicking and punt return teams.

Aaron Shea - TE - Played at Michigan while Brady was there. I think he'd be a great addition to the Pats. Especially if they are going to be using more TE passing sets.

Domenic Rhodes - RB - Had to play 2nd fiddle to James. Is an excellent kick returner. Would definitely push Dillon for playing time. Put up a 1000 yard season the one year he was the starter after James went down. The only problem with that one year was he put the ball on the ground 5 times.

Andre Dyson - CB - Still a younger player. Was a part of the Seattle Team last year and played very well.

Antonio Chatman - WR - I don't believe he was tendered by the Packers. The kid can KR and PR. Was forced into a starting role when Ferguson and Walker went down and performed pretty well. Would be a nice #3 or #4 receiver.

DaBruinz said:
Reche Caldwell - WR - The kid got to know the JUGS machine very well and really improved. Now he's almost like a vacuum cleaner. Would make a great #3 receiver who could help shake things up. Also could help on the kicking and punt return teams.

I was impressed with Caldwell last season. He seemed like a physical player.

I agree on Caldwell--he stepped up last season, I like Dyson and would take a look at Sharper if he is still out there...Tank might be an interesting addition...

DaBruinz said:
Tank Williams - S - I am amazed this kid is still available. Hopefully the Pats will get his name on the dotted line. That would give them ALL SORTS of flexibility in the secondary and with the draft.

Aaron Shea - TE - Played at Michigan while Brady was there. I think he'd be a great addition to the Pats. Especially if they are going to be using more TE passing sets.

Domenic Rhodes - RB - Had to play 2nd fiddle to James. Is an excellent kick returner. Would definitely push Dillon for playing time. Put up a 1000 yard season the one year he was the starter after James went down. The only problem with that one year was he put the ball on the ground 5 times.

Andre Dyson - CB - Still a younger player. Was a part of the Seattle Team last year and played very well.

Antonio Chatman - WR - I don't believe he was tendered by the Packers. The kid can KR and PR. Was forced into a starting role when Ferguson and Walker went down and performed pretty well. Would be a nice #3 or #4 receiver.

Tank has had some off-field issues, but nothing too serious.
Caldwell is interesting
Shea is nothing special; i'd rather draft one middle rounds
Rhodes might be a good choice if the money is short
Dyson is interesting
Chatman resigned with Green Bay

I thought the Colts paid a $1.45 million roster bonus to keep Rhodes under contract for this year and are giving him the opportunity to start. If so, that's one less one for the Pats....

Patsfanin Philly said:
I thought the Colts paid a $1.45 million roster bonus to keep Rhodes under contract for this year and are giving him the opportunity to start. If so, that's one less one for the Pats....

I think Rhodes is under contract too with the Colts. When did Chatman re-sign with the Packers. I think that he would be a solid pickup also as a speed reciever and KO returner. I would like to see Sharper and Dyson come aboard as well.

Quit this silly talk, we're not signing any Free Agents :)

At this point if we came away with :

Julian Peterson, OLB keeping Vrabel in the middle
Keyshawn Johnson, #2 WR
Reche Caldwell, #3 WR
Tank Williams, gives us options if Harrison isn't back or moving Wilson to CB
DeShea Townsend, Solid, veteran rotation CB.

I would be happy.

Although I added some bigger names, we could do it. Peterson could probably be had for a $4M first year cap hit (increasing later). Keyshawn at $2.5 would leave us around $11M under the cap. Caldwell, Williams, Townsend would get us down do around the $5-$6M needed to round out the roster.

To really make me smile, add a Runyan or Fabini who wouldn't cost too much and if we needed money we could easily turn some Brady salary into bonus.

I forgot to mention the roster :

That would give us 4 top quality LB, only one of whom (Bruschi) would be getting old. Excellent depth in the secondary, quality starters at WR and decent depth. And an improved OL if we went for the OT especially with Light and Koppen presumably being back.

BelichickFan said:
Quit this silly talk, we're not signing any Free Agents :)

At this point if we came away with :

Julian Peterson, OLB keeping Vrabel in the middle
Keyshawn Johnson, #2 WR
Reche Caldwell, #3 WR
Tank Williams, gives us options if Harrison isn't back or moving Wilson to CB
DeShea Townsend, Solid, veteran rotation CB.
All thoose happen??? I don't see it..Caldwell and Townsend..are really close and hopefully today actually signed..I like those. TAnkW is a possibility as well and I think very possible. I just don't see both Peterson and Johnson here. I am still waffling on KJ..depending upon what comments he's recently made...and it is really NOT the comments..I could care less..but the attitude behind the comments..the ME-first ones are NOT what this Patriot team needs. and the more of those that he utters, the more I wish him not come here. More team and wanting to win comments..then maybe it will be a fit. I think BB knows him well and can judge if that will be an issue or not. He would be a good replacement for Givens..while another WR is found in the draft or FA for the future. I just don't see Peterson and the Postons here..even if there is one just one now. That only brings trouble..and not needed.

Rhoades is still under contract w/ the Colts
I agree Shea is nothing special, good TE depth in this draft
Tank Williams I would like, his off-field problem was a DUI but the Pats would look over that.

As for Chatham,didnt see enough of him to have an opinion. But was that the guy Harrsion hurt in preseason last year?

Pats726 said:
All thoose happen??? I don't see it
I didn't say I thought it would happen but it's what I'm hoping for and we could afford it.

More likely, scratch Peterson, insert a cheaper ILB in place of him and then you have money for Runyan or Fabini too.

BelichickFan said:
I didn't say I thought it would happen but it's what I'm hoping for and we could afford it.

More likely, scratch Peterson, insert a cheaper ILB in place of him and then you have money for Runyan or Fabini too.
We can all hope for that big FA..and I think they may make a surprise with one..just don't see a Poston player being that player..why?? Just look at their track record of causing problems with teams. I wish it wasn''t the case, but that is the way it has been. Actually, an ILB instead would not be bad at all..and if those are who they sign..not bad at all. Could something like that be aslo worse case???
Maybe a lesser known WR than Keyshawn..and a lesser know DB...and an ILB.
But I think we may have underestimated what they will do. I just have a gut feeling they will mke at least one or two big moves.

my list

Runyan or Fabini
KJ
Chad Scott
Townsend
Dwight
Caldwell
Troy Brown
Ty Law
Moulds

The bottom line is that for now it SEEMS that bb and pioli are concentrating on CB, WR and OT. I strongly agree with that approach. :)

Surprises are of course always possible, such as a signing of a LB.

Last edited:
mgteich said:
...The bottom line is that for now it SEEMS that bb and pioli are concentrating on CB, WR and OT. I strongly agree with that approach. :)

Surprises are of course always possible, such as a signing of a LB.

Should this analysis prove to be true, then after round 1 in the draft, look for the Pats to load up on linebackers. Or, who knows - maybe they'll trade up in round 1 and try and grab Hodge?

One thing is for sure - the PBT (Pats' Brain Trust!) is doing this very carefully and methodically. I'm continually intrigued by these guys...

What about Nate Burleson? Isn't he a RFA? Does anyone think he would be worth bringing in for a visit?

Tanks Williams is on a lot of people's short lists, my self included.
Sharper? Hmmm... Townsend is beginning to intrigue me as well.
Troy Brown for 1 more would be nice too.
Ooops, I meant Caldwell, not Townsend so much.

Last edited:
OK, I was using the ESPN Web Site for my listing. They still have Rhodes listed as a UFA. Nothing there about him having re-signed with them.

Also, I haven't seen anything about Chatman having re-signed with the Packers. In fact, I thought that the last thing that I saw was that they had actually cut him.

I wouldn't mind James Mungro, Kenny Watson, Jonathan Wells, or LaBrandon Toefield as replacements for Rhodes.

As a replacement for Chatman, Not sure who else is out there that bring in that I would like.

Well, I was right on 1 of the players :D. Now the Pats just need to call Tank Williams and get him into Foxboro. Then that will really screw up the mock drafts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots