PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

(some) Chargers fans are not worried about the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't worry about Pats either. That is because we don't play each other this year. The only way we could meet is if somehow the both of us play each other in Super Bowl 42(I am not good with symbols).

Right now it is the offseason, and noone should worry about what any other team is doing, except there own. Because it is free agency and then the draft comes up. Start thinking about other teams in early July, and that is when the preseason games begin.

I like coming over here, because you guys are good people.

San Diego visits new england next season.

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/tv/2007_opponents

Last edited:
You forgot one.

4- Merriman has been off the juice for about a year now, he'll probably look like Giselle next season.

That was going to be my point, so it is a brilliant one.:) He was this supercharged, steroid (allegedly) freak of a player, and now he (allegedly) is off the juice. I doubt he'll be the same.

You take the team that beat them at home in the playoffs (the Patriots), add a healthy Maroney, add Eugene Wilson, add Rodney Harrison, add a healthy Richard Seymour, add Randall Gay, add Ryan O'Callahan, add Odelius Thomas, add Wes Welker, add K. Washington, add D. Stallworth, and I won't even talk about 10 draft picks including two number 1's. My point is the Patriots had alot of players either playing with injury or out all together. San Diego was very healthy. The Patriots have added quality players to the team via free agency. The Chargers have not. The Patriots have the best coaching staff in football. The Chargers lost their talented coaching staff.

So, when you strip all the bravado away from some of the Charger fans, and just lay it out, they should be very worried about the Patriots. Every team in the NFL should be very worried about the Patriots, and if they say they are not, they are lying.

They didnt make the playoffs in 2005 and they had LT and Merriman. That's a tough division. Denver will be better. KC is always unpredictable at home. A loss here or there and suddenly they're 3rd in the division. That means they're out. What has Norv Turner ever done to demonstrate he can lead a team to the playoffs as an HC?

They probably do have a better chance than the Raiders, but not much. I don't think you grasp the issues they've had in the off-season.

I don't think you grasp just how good the Chargers are.

in 2006 they led the league in point differential. they were in #2 in DVOA. they were 14-2 in the regular season, losing by 3 points at Baltimore in week 3 (#1 in DVOA), and by 3 points at KC (as you said, always tough at home), then losing by 3 points to us in a game they easily could/should have won.

in 2005, when they missed the playoffs - they were 9-6 in games that mattered, but were still one of the 6 best teams in football. They were unlucky to lose 5 very close games (4 points to Dallas, 3 @ Denver, 2 to Pittsburgh, 3 @ Philly, 2 @ Miami). The difference between 9-7 and 12-4 was a few random bounces of the ball. in addition, they were unlucky to play in a division w/ 2 of the other top 5 teams, Denver and KC (both of whom have gotten worse since then).

in 2004 they were 12-4, were a top 10 team, and won the division.

This offseason, I agree they have had problems, notably losing the 2 coordinators and their HC. this is a setback they will need to overcome. they have lost 1 player, Donnie Edwards, from a defense that was nasty last year. shouldn't be a terrible loss.

They still have LT2 in his prime, a QB who will improve in his second year, and all kinds of young talent all over the field. 12-4 or 13-3 is where this team will end up I think, similar to what the Patriots will do I think.

I think they are the 2 best teams in the AFC, and it's close between the 2. We have gotten better, they worse, but they were better.

Re: Norv Turner, what did people used to say about Tony Dungy? or a thousand other coaches who never won....until they did. You don't hear those people talking about those coaches any more.

That was going to be my point, so it is a brilliant one.:) He was this supercharged, steroid (allegedly) freak of a player, and now he (allegedly) is off the juice. I doubt he'll be the same.

You take the team that beat them at home in the playoffs (the Patriots), add a healthy Maroney, add Eugene Wilson, add Rodney Harrison, add a healthy Richard Seymour, add Randall Gay, add Ryan O'Callahan, add Odelius Thomas, add Wes Welker, add K. Washington, add D. Stallworth, and I won't even talk about 10 draft picks including two number 1's. My point is the Patriots had alot of players either playing with injury or out all together. San Diego was very healthy. The Patriots have added quality players to the team via free agency. The Chargers have not. The Patriots have the best coaching staff in football. The Chargers lost their talented coaching staff.

So, when you strip all the bravado away from some of the Charger fans, and just lay it out, they should be very worried about the Patriots. Every team in the NFL should be very worried about the Patriots, and if they say they are not, they are lying.

Maroney was healthy for the game last year, and Seymour was pretty healthy by then as well. Gay is a nickel or dime back who wasn't a huge loss, Ocallaghan a backup OL, and Washington may not even make our team. I agree having both Wilson and Harrison out hurt us, and our WR's and LB's have gotten better.

Last edited:
Odelius Thomas

Two quick things. Adalius not Odelius.

And Charger fans who say they are not worried are either lying or don't know what they're talking about. :D

============

Brady isn't even a probowl level quarterback in the AFC.

============

I agree very much. Brady just isn't as good as
1) Manning
2) Rivers
3) Palmer
so he will not make the probowl

============

Those two are the best I think. Those3 QBs combined haven't won as many Superbowls as TB.

You have to love idiot fans.

If I hear the argument that goes "Brady's a system QB, and he's always had great talent around him" one more time, I just might snap.

Just think of all those offensive Pro Bowlers that Brady has played with!

Maroney was healthy for the game last year, and Seymour was pretty healthy by then as well. Gay is a nickel or dime back who wasn't a huge loss, Ocallaghan a backup OL, and Washington may not even make our team. I agree having both Wilson and Harrison out hurt us, and our WR's and LB's have gotten better.

wrong on both accounts,both were hurt and played with injuries.

and how exactly did your WR's and LB's got better in the three months since we last saw them? care to explain?

wrong on both accounts,both were hurt and played with injuries.

and how exactly did your WR's and LB's got better in the three months since we last saw them? care to explain?

I'm a Patriots fan. OUR WR's and LB's got better.

re: the injuries, I'm sure there were plenty of 'injuries' on the Chargers side equal to what Maroney and Seymour played with. Didn't Philips and Castillo have to leave the game at various points? and Igor was hurt?

nobody is completely healthy come playoff time

I'm a Patriots fan. OUR WR's and LB's got better.

re: the injuries, I'm sure there were plenty of 'injuries' on the Chargers side equal to what Maroney and Seymour played with. Didn't Philips and Castillo have to leave the game at various points? and Igor was hurt?

nobody is completely healthy come playoff time

my bad:)
I completely didn't see the "us" in the Harrison sentence.

I don't think you grasp just how good the Chargers are.

in 2006 they led the league in point differential. they were in #2 in DVOA. they were 14-2 in the regular season, losing by 3 points at Baltimore in week 3 (#1 in DVOA), and by 3 points at KC (as you said, always tough at home), then losing by 3 points to us in a game they easily could/should have won.

in 2005, when they missed the playoffs - they were 9-6 in games that mattered, but were still one of the 6 best teams in football. They were unlucky to lose 5 very close games (4 points to Dallas, 3 @ Denver, 2 to Pittsburgh, 3 @ Philly, 2 @ Miami). The difference between 9-7 and 12-4 was a few random bounces of the ball. in addition, they were unlucky to play in a division w/ 2 of the other top 5 teams, Denver and KC (both of whom have gotten worse since then).

in 2004 they were 12-4, were a top 10 team, and won the division.

This offseason, I agree they have had problems, notably losing the 2 coordinators and their HC. this is a setback they will need to overcome. they have lost 1 player, Donnie Edwards, from a defense that was nasty last year. shouldn't be a terrible loss.

They still have LT2 in his prime, a QB who will improve in his second year, and all kinds of young talent all over the field. 12-4 or 13-3 is where this team will end up I think, similar to what the Patriots will do I think.

I think they are the 2 best teams in the AFC, and it's close between the 2. We have gotten better, they worse, but they were better.

Re: Norv Turner, what did people used to say about Tony Dungy? or a thousand other coaches who never won....until they did. You don't hear those people talking about those coaches any more.

I don't think you grasp the fact that while San Diego has been a good team these last 3 years they have won zero playoff games. They have a ton of talent but results are much more important.

Think about it this way. The Jets have a good arguement for being a better team over these last 3 years. Yeah SD has had a better regular season record all 3 years and won the division twice while the Jets suffered a 4-12 season sandwitched between wildcard berths, but both have made the playoffs twice in three years and the Jets have actually won a playoff game (against SD no less).

I think they have the potential to be great but it's a little early to crown their ass as anything special.

Last edited:
I don't think you grasp the fact that while San Diego has been a good team these last 3 years they have won zero playoff games. They have a ton of talent but results are much more important.

Think about it this way. The Jets have a good arguement for being a better team over these last 3 years. Yeah SD has had a better regular season record all 3 years and won the division twice while the Jets suffered a 4-12 season sandwitched between wildcard berths, but both have made the playoffs twice in three years and the Jets have actually won a playoff game (against SD no less).

I think they have the potential to be great but it's a little early to crown their ass as anything special.

in considering how good a team will be next year, you're weighting 'previous playoff wins' too highly, and 'previous 16 games' too lowly. there is a lot of variance in 1 or 2 playoff games.

if you want to talk about potential, then shouldn't we consider how well Thomas, Stallworth, and Welker fit in with us?

also, I'm not crowning them anything, I'm just saying that they should be co-favorites with us to win the AFC.

Last edited:
I cannot wait. There is zero chance I will not be in the stands. I've been working on my Fairyman dance just for that game.:rocker:

I'm staying away. Last time I went to a Patriots vs Chargers game in New England the result wasn't too favorable. :mad:

San Diego visits new england next season.

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/tv/2007_opponents
Still, it is one game. I can understand being concerned with division opponents, the Chargers need to concern themselves more with Denver than New England. The Broncos have improved themselves in free agency. If I were a Chargers fan, which i am not, I would be concerned with the Pats, only when we play them, and who knows when will they schedule that game?

in considering how good a team will be next year, you're weighting 'previous playoff wins' too highly, and 'previous 16 games' too lowly. there is a lot of variance in 1 or 2 playoff games.

if you want to talk about potential, then shouldn't we consider how well Thomas, Stallworth, and Welker fit in with us?

also, I'm not crowning them anything, I'm just saying that they should be co-favorites with us to win the AFC.

I worked with the last 3 years because you brought them up. I agree that '04 and '05 have nothing to do with '07.

For all we know you might be giving too much consideration to last year. They played a crappy NFC division (the West, though they get the crappy North this year). They lost to the only good opponent from the AFC division they played in Baltimore. They got to play crappy teams like Buffalo and Tennessee (week 2 before Young took over) due to their finish in '05 whereas they get NE and Balt instead this year. Denver had a down year with the transition to Cutler. They were healthier than they can expect to be this year (unless you listen to Chargers fans, in that case they were ravaged by injuries).

The one thing they have to their advantage this year is a year under Rivers's belt. I guess they have no Marty, but his replacement is hardly stellar and they lost their coordinators.

I do not expect a repeat of 14-2. They should be a playoff team but greatness is far from assured.

No surprise here. We saw what a-holes Charger fans were last January.
Bottom of the barrel.

What did they say about Dungy? I think most people have always considered Dungy a top flight head coach that, given a top team and some breaks would win it all eventually. That super bowl win by the Bucs could have/should have been his. OTOH, Norv is considered a super OC that has never shown much as a head coach.

No surprise here. We saw what a-holes Charger fans were last January.
Bottom of the barrel.
You're dealing with a different breed of cat down there in San Diego. "Surfs up, man, grab the board and the bong, we're callin' in sick today." Pro sports just aren't an institution there. Not fair picking a fight with a Chargers fan. Save it for Steelers or Jets fans.

What did they say about Dungy? I think most people have always considered Dungy a top flight head coach that, given a top team and some breaks would win it all eventually. That super bowl win by the Bucs could have/should have been his. OTOH, Norv is considered a super OC that has never shown much as a head coach.

they he couldn't win the big game! Just like Jim Boeheim. And Peyton Manning. and John Elway.

point being is that in a team sport, it's usually folly to point to a team's failure as a mark against one of their players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back