PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some assorted Bills thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually will be surprised if it happens. Even troy brown said the same thing in CSSNE. They will probably double him. He is not like Green who just runs sideline routes mostly.

Oh, I don't think any of us will be surprised. It should happen. It's exactly why Revis was brought here for 12 million dollars this year.

The fact in which he describes the Buffalo spies as "they found out today" is what I felt was interesting more than anything. I wonder how "they" found this information out?

Here is another article posing the exact same question:

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2014/10/sammy_watkins_says_buffalo_bil.html

Oh, I don't think any of us will be surprised. It should happen. It's exactly why Revis was brought here for 12 million dollars this year.

The fact in which he describes the Buffalo spies as "they found out today" is what I felt was interesting more than anything. I wonder how "they" found this information out?

Here is another article posing the exact same question:

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2014/10/sammy_watkins_says_buffalo_bil.html
Lets see. He can beat you single handedly by going over the top. So its better they double him. Like the minnesota game. Every one thought revis was going to be on patterson but he ended up on jennings

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/brown-watkins-tougher-pats-cover-green

Lets see. He can beat you single handedly by going over the top. So its better they double him. Like the minnesota game. Every one thought revis was going to be on patterson but he ended up on jennings

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/brown-watkins-tougher-pats-cover-green

While I agree with you that there are different ways to approach the task, I think that you're still missing the point and possibly even failing to read either link that I posted.

My comment wasn't about "how" to approach Watkins. It was the fact that Watkins came forth to the media that "they (BUF) found out that Revis would be on him."

That is why I asked "I wonder if Belichick knows this?" in my original post. I was more interested in the fact that Watkins claims to have discovered this information somehow, that's all.

It's not important though, I'm just making conversation. Your question is much more football appropriate. I was just curious about the odd nature of Watkins' comments.

Just to follow up on your thought though, I think that after watching Revis struggle with the speed of Mike Wallace, and knowing about Patterson's route running problems and lack of receiver talent, there were still many of us who felt that it would be a losing proposition to have him up against Patterson. In that scenario, I definitely agree with Belichick for doubling Patterson (to some degree) and having Revis on Jennings for the most part. That made sense.

Due to that thinking, your proposal makes sense as well. Then again, I think that Watkins is a much better overall receiver than Patterson is, so that may sway the thinking a bit.

It will be interesting to see how Belichick approaches it, or whether or not Watkins' "inside knowledge" ends up being correct.

While I agree with you that there are different ways to approach the task, I think that you're still missing the point and possibly even failing to read either link that I posted.

My comment wasn't about "how" to approach Watkins. It was the fact that Watkins came forth to the media that "they (BUF) found out that Revis would be on him."

That is why I asked "I wonder if Belichick knows this?" in my original post. I was more interested in the fact that Watkins claims to have discovered this information somehow, that's all.

It's not important though, I'm just making conversation. Your question is much more football appropriate. I was just curious about the odd nature of Watkins' comments.
I did read your link. But didnt think much of watkins comment. Iam assuming he meant 'found out' as in from his coaches by watching film or maybe pepper johnson's insights.

I did read your link. But didnt think much of watkins comment. Iam assuming he meant 'found out' as in from his coaches by watching film or maybe pepper johnson's insights.

I can't even remember all of their options at WR anyway, now that Stevie Johnson left.

I think they have Woods, Watkins, and I can't remember the main 3rd option.

I wouldn't be surprised if Revis covered Woods, per your theory. After watching Sammy Watkins destroy Ohio State in the Orange Bowl this year, I am very leery of his awesome talent. I think he's going to make plays no matter what, so maybe doubling him would be a better choice.

While we're at it, I'd also rather have EJ Manuel in there as well (not that it's an option, and many will disagree anyways), even though Belichick would play the defense much differently due to how he approaches scrambling QBs.

Off the top of my head I came up with this (it's late)

OFFENSE
:

- Give Ridley the ball, we're going to need him so we can control the clock once again.

- I think we're going to see Vareen catch some passes. Keith Rivers is filling in for Alonso, he doesn't have much range. Spikes, as we all know is slow. Nigel Bradham has speed, but a big knock on his game coming in was he doesn't recognize plays all that well and reacts slowly . Vareen can take advantage of this.

- I assume Tyms will be used here and there. Let's see if he can take the top off and be a physical WR for us, we desperately need it. I know people here doubt his abilities, but he has been given a chance to be an impact player for this team, let's see if he runs with it or struggles. Tyms will not get many more opportunities in the NFL if he fails here. One game doesn't make or break him, but we gave up Thompkins, hopefully we can see something positive from him.

- I'm interested as well in seeing how the Bills defend Tim Wright.

- My gut is saying Edelman gets into the end zone at least once. He's been quiet these past 2 weeks, and since he's become a starter he has played well vs the Bills.

DEFENSE:

- We need to be prepare for Sammy Watkins, but not put all the eggs in 1 basket. This is his only his 2nd game with Kyle Orton. He messes up on some routes (expected), and I'm sure the timing isn't all that great between them.

- We've waited a long time to see Browner, I'm personally dying to see some attitude, aggression, and just flat out violence. I want every single one of their WRs to be thinking about Browner lurking ready to lay the beat down on them.

- Focus Scott Chandler in the Red Zone. He's 6'7 and does a good job down there ( If they get there ).

- Spiller can be a problem, he has a lot of speed but I feel the Bills don't know how to use him properly. Either way, this defense weakness is speed.

- Jamie Collins

Cordarrelle Patterson is looking more like a bust every game he plays. He is amazing with the ball, but he can not do anything that would get him the ball in the first place. Running him only goes so far.

On the other side, Sammy Watkins could very well be a generational talent. His QBs are terrible. The only thing limiting him. His route running is so crisp and on point. I saw a lot of talk about his route running being 'sloppy' when he was drafted. No idea what that comes from.

Here he is breaking ankles.

http://fat.gfycat.com/SecretPastDuckling.webm

And here are his highlights from the Detriot game. Notice how he adjusts to Orton's inaccurate slowballs with ease. Absolutely amazing.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/v...ghlights/82ce9b7b-bae1-4936-9c29-50ee22bea8ec

He has to be doubled. No doubt. The guy has already had to play with two (bad) QBs. Of course they aren't going to be on the exact same page. Edelman and Brady still get those things mixed up from time to time. I have seen enough of the guy to understand he is the best player on that team. He gets better every week. He was great last week. He will only be better this week. The Pats have to treat him like he's the best WR they have faced this season.

Nice post. I fully expect the Bills to try and run some inside zone plays against us that the Dolphins and Chiefs used so successfully. Spiller is just as dangerous as Charles.

Sig check.

I expect a close game, which will be fodder for the Monday Morning Sportstalk shows... but expect that the Pats will win.

Buffalo has gotten better since we have seen them last...

If Spikes is starting all the time at MLB we know how to exploit that better than anyone.. his snaps have increased recently and now is on the injury report.

They seem to be amassing quite a bit of talent on this team..

I think we see the Pats in zone to better defend the swing passes and run. Our LBs don't matchup well with Spiller and Jackson in man.

It seems like these two teams historically, regardless of the state of the respective franchise, see ugly and often close games when they match up. The Bills are playing at home, tied for the division lead (regardless of whether there are only 5 games down in the season) and playing against the team sharing the division lead with a long history of winning the division. I expect to see a lot of emotion from them, and would like to see the Pats weather the storm and get out of there with the W. This will be a good test after the noise in KC to see how far the OL has really progressed.

For the past 14 years, the Patriots have been the featured target of their AFC East rivals and these 3 bottom feeders have been building teams designed to match up specifically against NE. The Jets had limited success for a time but BB managed to deflate those pumped up egos in short order. Miami has managed to build two impressive front lines that have had there way against NE down in Miami the past two years...but their problem is the rest of the NFL. Then there is the Bills, a team NE has feasted on. It seems that Buffalo puts up a tremendous fight the first match up every season but folds like a bad hand in the second.
Well...its first round time and this Bills roster reminds me of the Miami roster that overwhelmed NE on the road 5 weeks ago. Stout lines, big back/fast back...the ability to knock Brady off the spot. I expect a very low scoring game with the defenses setting the tempo. A game of field position and special teams. Will this be a road game where the D line gets run over....Miami and KC? If NE wants to avoid trench warfare, they need to grab the lead early and force Buffalo away from the run...and let Orton pass....just like last week. Force Buffalo to attack vs NE's greatest strength....its secondary
This will be a fascinating game.

My main interest in this game is to see what kind of intensity and focus the Pats display. They showed the ability to respond to adversity, now I want to see consistent effort and focus. They were so charged up against Cincinnati, it would be normal to see something of a letdown. If they can maintain the kind of intensity that they showed last week (as people have noted, reminiscent of the "FU tour" of 2007), that would go a long way towards showing that they have what it takes. The 2009 team is a good example of a team that was on a yo-yo all season, and a poor effort would be a huge red flag.

I live in western NY and I think the Bills are better off with Orton, I think they are strong on both dline and oline but secondary is very week.

That being said this game wouldnt be getting this much hype if Detroits kicker wasnt a total scrub missing 3 makeable field goals.

Also agree with another poster its Freddy who always kills us he is so underrated I love how he runs.

The reason you pay Revis so much money is for matchups like this, against a WR like this. Stick Revis on Watkins all day long.

Some comments on the comments:

1. My biggest fear right now is that this is an away game. Despite the results from last week, this offense is far from a finished product, and playing an away game in a loud stadium really limits much of what you'd like to do. For instance, when you can't hear the snap count, OLmen have to look into the ball before they take heir first step.

Its only a micro second, but one of the great advantages the OL has is having that micro second head start by knowing the count. You often lose that in a loud environment. So given our existing questions about the OL, I am concerned how they will do against what is currently a top 5 DL which will likely have Kyle Williams back for this game (a proven Pats killer).

If the OL is reasonably successful (ie 2 sacks/11 hurries) I will be MUCH more confident about the state of the OL going forward. This game has traditionally been the Bills "superbow". Given how well they have started out, that place will be ROCKING, just like KC.

2. Our road history hasn't been great in recent years. ALL 5 losses last season were on the road, and we are currently 1-2 this season. Its very hard to win in the NFL, its that much harder to do it one the road. This is going to be a very very VERY hard game.

3. Borgie made an insightful observation that worth repeating. Its concerning to note that a LOT of the strengths of the Miami team are what's good about the Bills. So watching how the Pats respond to a similar challenge is go a long way to determining how much this team has improved.

4. Sorry Bob, but me on the side of those who think it would be wiser to double Watkins, and have Revis simply take Woods out of the game. I'm not quite as high on Watkins as some.....just yet. He is having a great rookie year, and might be an elite WR down the road, but in week 5 of his rookie year.....he isn't.

That being said, there is no questioning his talent and the need to give him "special attention". That's why I think doubling him would be more effective at this stage. But I hope that on certain occasions, we see Revis matched up on this kid. I stated in my OP that changing up and disguising what we are doing will go a long way to keep the Bills off the board. Orton is a vet, but the fact is the Bills made him an offer he couldn't refuse to get him off the couch at the end of TC. I want him questioning his reads all game.

5. One advantage the Pats have in this game is that Orton is just slightly more mobile than Tom Brady. Our outside rushers do not have to take the same care in keeping him in the pocket, so i expect much more out of Jone and Ninko this game.

6. Play action against a guessing Spikes would seem like a no brainer, but it does pose protection issues. Brady has been hit or sacked on a number of occasions trying to run play action. Part of the problem is ALL play action passes require more time before release than a shot gun or standard drop back, Normally a QB will immediately have his eyes down field watching the coverage develop and what his receivers are doing. When running PA, the QB has his back to the LOS for the first few seconds and only gets to check downfield AFTER he turns. It is only THEN that he can scan the field for his reads.

Thus the protection has to be better than usual. IIRC on a lot of the poor PA results come when the defense clearly has ignored the run. That puts the OL at a terrible disadvantage, given they have fired out in order to sell the PA. So not only do they have to to protect longer, they lose their advantage of taking a step back to set their protection.

I am a huge believer in the play action pass, However not all the advantages go to the offense and we should be aware of it.

7. Devlin and Vareen should be key receivers in this game. Once again I'm pushing for more dump offs

8. Still looking for someone to show me a scheme to stop Peppers, Williams and Dareus and whomever else they throw out on the DL

9. It wasn't a good match up to put Hightower on Spiller last year. Putting Jamie Collins, while marginally better, isn't a good idea either. What I'd LIKE to see is having it "look" like Collins is on Spiller, but when the ball's snapped, have him end up with a DB on coverage. And yes, its possible to scheme this up.that way. ;)

My expectation is that the Patriots will win by a fairly comfortable margin. Just don't see this being a close contest.

4. Sorry Bob, but me on the side of those who think it would be wiser to double Watkins, and have Revis simply take Woods out of the game. I'm not quite as high on Watkins as some.....just yet. He is having a great rookie year, and might be an elite WR down the road, but in week 5 of his rookie year.....he isn't.
PFK, even as a rookie, Watkins is far more elite than either Woods or Williams, who are nothing special. Heck, some of my Bills buddies wanted to see Woods benched in favour of Goodwin now that they had a QB under OC who could get the ball downfield.

If Revis was brought here to handle the oppositions best WR then that WR is Watkins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back