PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some assorted Bills thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Starting a football conversation on what we might expect to see in Buffalo this weekend. Remember the lesson last week was "you are never as bad as it seems" . Well this week we need to apply the corollary, "Things are never as good as they appear".

The Bills are a very good team. Talent wise they are as good as anyone, especially on the D and OLine. They also will have a significant home field advantage, while the Pats will be on their FOURTH away game in just 6 starts.

1. There was a nice MMQB article from another thread which got me thinking about match ups. If I were the Bills DC, the most obvious match up advantage would be Darrius on Wendell. Darrius is a lot bigger and stronger than Geno Atkins, who quickness advantage was matched by Wendell on Sunday night. Coming off a Defensive player of the week award, Darius presents a huge problem for ANY OL, let alone the undersized Wendell.

The obvious solution would be to double Darius on most plays both in the passing and running games. But that's a difficult scheming problem because of how good the rest of the Buffalo DL is. Whether Kyle Williams plays this week could be big for both teams.

2. The Brandon Spikes over-hype. Disclaimer, I was never a big Brandon Spikes fan, even when he was here. While I LOVED his physicality, and could live with his limitations in the passing game; I always felt he guessed far to much in attacking the LOS and for every time he blew up a play in the backfield, there were 2 decent gains because we didn't have any backside support because he had over committed.

That said, Spikes is everything you want in a rush ILB, and I have no idea if he still is guessing all the time. It could be he's improved that aspect of his game. At any rate, given the noise factor, the Pats won't have the luxury of changing things on the LOS as much as they would at home, and you can be certain they are going to want to be balanced, So I would hope that the Pats will continue their success in rushing on has become passing downs, and sticking with the run even when it doesn't yield consistent results.

An unnoticed stat in the Bengal game was that (IIRC) the Pats had 11 rushes that gained less than 2yds. So they had to show a lot of persistence in the run game in order get the positive results. They will need to show the same kind of persistence in Buffalo. And we as fans will need to show a certain amount of patience to Josh. ;)

3. MMQB made an interesting point in talking about the probability of the Bills likely being in press man coverage against the Pats. I wonder if this might be the time to see the Pats go back to some of the patterns from circa 2011. A lot short of picks and option routes, surrounded by shots down the seam in play action. BTW- it will be interesting to see how the Bills choose to defends Tim Wright.

4. On offense the Bills have a number of good playmakers with Watkins and CJSpiller heading the list. But remember, while Watkins IS a great prospect and having a fine rookie year, he still isn't close to being the threat AJ Green was. He could be at that level down the road, but not next week.

Still the success of the Pats D will likely depend on who is available. Sure its nice to have Browner back. But I think we will see him being used as a situational DB in certain match ups. I doubt very much he will come in as a starting CB. McCourty didn't leave the sideline Sunday night, and Revis actually returned late, so I'm hopeful both will be able to play, but I doubt we will know before Sunday.

Kyle Orton is a decent NFL starter (Think Brian Hoyer) ,who got better as that game went along. Like vs Cinci, he won't easy to get to as he has a fine OL to protect him. Ideally I'd like to play either press man or a TIGHT match up zone as my main strategy. I want to force Orton to consistently throw into tight windows. I don't want to give him any of the easy short throws you often see against some zone coverages. I also want him to begin to question what he is seeing from early on. So lots of disguised coverages.

My overall concept would be to try and shut down Spiller and Watkins and force Orton to be the guy who has to beat you. Points will likely be at a premium Sunday, so keeping them off the board early will be critical. If they do move the ball, I don't want it to be in big chunks

5, Hopefully Chandler Jone will be healthier this week and we can develop more pressure. I doubt we see Easley this week, though what little pressure we got last week seemed to be generated up the middle. e How the Pats choose to use Jamie Collins will also be of interest. Of course whether Hightower is available could affect his role as well

6. I'm not one of those fans who demand the defense be uber aggressive all the time. Although it's often very painful to watch, bend but don't beak CAN be very effective. However THIS week, for a number of reasons, I'd like to see us become more aggressive than we were on Sunday night

OK. that's enough to get this started. Let's talk about some of the match ups we are likely to see both good and and how we can best take advantage of the good match ups and protect against the bad ones.

Last edited:
Starting a football conversation on what we might expect to see in Buffalo this weekend. Remember the lesson last week was "you are never as bad as it seems" . Well this week we need to apply the corollary, "Things are never as good as they appear".

The Bills are a very good team. Talent wise they are as good as anyone, especially on the D and OLine. They also will have a significant home field advantage, while the Pats will be on their FOURTH away game in just 6 starts.

1. There was a nice MMQB article from another thread which got me thinking about match ups. If I were the Bills DC, the most obvious match up advantage would be Darrius on Wendell. Darrius is a lot bigger and stronger than Geno Atkins, who quickness advantage was matched by Wendell on Sunday night. Coming off a Defensive player of the week award, Darius presents a huge problem for ANY OL, let alone the undersized Wendell.

The obvious solution would be to double Darius on most plays both in the passing and running games. But that's a difficult scheming problem because of how good the rest of the Buffalo DL is. Whether Kyle Williams plays this week could be big for both teams.

2. The Brandon Spikes over-hype. Disclaimer, I was never a big Brandon Spikes fan, even when he was here. While I LOVED his physicality, and could live with his limitations in the passing game; I always felt he guessed far to much in attacking the LOS and for every time he blew up a play in the backfield, there were 2 decent gains because we didn't have any backside support because he had over committed.

That said, Spikes is everything you want in a rush ILB, and I have no idea if he still is guessing all the time. It could be he's improved that aspect of his game. At any rate, given the noise factor, the Pats won't have the luxury of changing things on the LOS as much as they would at home, and you can be certain they are going to want to be balanced, So I would hope that the Pats will continue their success in rushing on has become passing downs, and sticking with the run even when it doesn't yield consistent results.

An unnoticed stat in the Bengal game was that (IIRC) the Pats had 11 rushes that gained less than 2yds. So they had to show a lot of persistence in the run game in order get the positive results. They will need to show the same kind of persistence in Buffalo. And we as fans will need to show a certain amount of patience to Josh. ;)

3. MMQB made an interesting point in talking about the probability of the Bills likely being in press man coverage against the Pats. I wonder if this might be the time to see the Pats go back to some of the patterns from circa 2011. A lot short of picks and option routes, surrounded by shots down the seam in play action. BTW- it will be interesting to see how the Bills choose to defends Tim Wright.

4. On offense the Bills have a number of good playmakers with Watkins and CJSpiller heading the list. But remember, while Watkins IS a great prospect and having a fine rookie year, he still isn't close to being the threat AJ Green was. He could be at that level down the road, but not next week.

Still the success of the Pats D will likely depend on who is available. Sure its nice to have Browner back. But I think we will see him being used as a situational DB in certain match ups. I doubt very much he will come in as a starting CB. McCourty didn't leave the sideline Sunday night, and Revis actually returned late, so I'm hopeful both will be able to play, but I doubt we will know before Sunday.

Kyle Orton is a decent NFL starter (Think Brian Hoyer) ,who got better as that game went along. Like vs Cinci, he won't easy to get to as he has a fine OL to protect him. Ideally I'd like to play either press man or a TIGHT match up zone as my main strategy. I want to force Orton to consistently throw into tight windows. I don't want to give him any of the easy short throws you often see against some zone coverages. I also want him to begin to question what he is seeing from early on. So lots of disguised coverages.

My overall concept would be to try and shut down Spiller and Watkins and force Orton to be the guy who has to beat you. Points will likely be at a premium Sunday, so keeping them off the board early will be critical. If they do move the ball, I don't want it to be in big chunks

5, Hopefully Chandler Jone will be healthier this week and we can develop more pressure. I doubt we see Easley this week, though what little pressure we got last week seemed to be generated up the middle. e How the Pats choose to use Jamie Collins will also be of interest. Of course whether Hightower is available could affect his role as well

6. I'm not one of those fans who demand the defense be uber aggressive all the time. Although it's often very painful to watch, bend but don't beak CAN be very effective. However THIS week, for a number of reasons, I'd like to see us become more aggressive than we were on Sunday night

OK. that's enough to get this started. Let's talk about some of the match ups we are likely to see both good and and how we can best take advantage of the good match ups and protect against the bad ones.
I think we missed the biggest threat for us from the buffalo offense. Fred Jackson.He kills us most of the times.And Iam still concerned about our run defense. Cincy didnt run much for some reason and the fast start helped us keep it that way. But if they get jackson going , it could be tough day .

I wouldn't be surprised to see that the primary key in this game will be which defense can best take advantage of the other teams highly suspect OL.

fun little factoid:

The Patriots under Bill Belichick have beaten Buffalo at a higher percentage (89.3%, 25-3) that the career NBA free throw percentages of Larry Bird (88.6%) and Reggie Miller (88.8%).

I know, any given Sunday, and history doesn't matter, and all that, but this has been historically amazing dominance.

And Bills fans attribute it ALL to poor officiating!

force some turnovers, give tom a short field.

unleash the gronk!!!! he usually rapes the bills!

This has all the makings of a very difficult game emotionally... new owners for the Bills... Pats coming off their high point of the year... ANOTHER away game... my hope is that McDaniels continues the simple yet effective offense from last week. If I see Brady back to pass 6 out of the first 8 plays... this could be bad. Defensively, I think we can hold them under 20. But can we score 21?

I'd like to see them come out with 2 TE's, maybe even a FB and play action. The Bills defense will be so amped up with Pepper and Spikes leading the charge so use that aggressiveness against them. Keep Spikes on the field with base or 2 TE package and get him in coverage.

Weird stuff always happens in buffalo..passes getting tipped by 3 or 4 guys and ending up in the hands of a buffalo defender for a touchdown. I really hate that place.

Think that Spikes is going to be a focal point for the Patriots offensively and expect them to exploit his likitations defending the pass with their TE's and Edelman and Amendola. Hopefully it works and loosens them up when they have to adjust for this. This is going to be a tough game and they really need it. They need to go 3-1 over the next four and can't give the L up to Buffalo.

Weird stuff always happens in buffalo..passes getting tipped by 3 or 4 guys and ending up in the hands of a buffalo defender for a touchdown. I really hate that place.

I agree....always crazy stuff. Hope this doesn't happen and happens to them instead

Think that Spikes is going to be a focal point for the Patriots offensively and expect them to exploit his likitations defending the pass with their TE's

How Detroit didn't try to do this Sunday is beyond me. He played 82% of the snaps and Pettigrew and Ebron were targeted 7 times combined.

But then again Pettigrew is average and Ebron may have already hit the rookie wall and Stafford is always looking to throw it deep.

Target Spikes a lot. Make him pay for the 4 years a slave comment.
I had forgot about that. Iam sure our media in their giddiness to bash the pats for letting him go will ignore that.

How Detroit didn't try to do this Sunday is beyond me. He played 82% of the snaps and Pettigrew and Ebron were targeted 7 times combined.

But then again Pettigrew is average and Ebron may have already hit the rookie wall and Stafford is always looking to throw it deep.

Not to mention with Megatron and Bush hurting, and largely ineffective as a result, you would think they would have had no choice but to target their TE's.

Not to mention with Megatron and Bush hurting, and largely ineffective as a result, you would think they would have had no choice but to target their TE's.

Although to be completely fair if they had just an average kicker they win that game.

Since this is the "random Bills thoughts" thread, I figured I'd point out that BUF WR Sammy Watkins claims that "they found out today that Revis will be trailing him all over the field..."

Hmmm. I wonder if Bill Belichick knows about this information?

Watkins expects to be guarded by Revis | ProFootballTalk

“We actually found he’s gonna be following me around the field, so I’m gonna have to be prepared for his jams,” Watkins said Wednesday, via Mike Rodak of ESPN.com. “He’s very smart. I have to be very competitive and smart off the ball.”

It’s unclear how Watkins and the Bills know that Revis will be guarding him...​

Darius is the type of player Connolly handles way better than Wendell. Hopefully the Patriots have some ideas to get those two matched up. Wendell will struggle with Darius. The Bills are hard enough to run on without a mismatch.

Since this is the "random Bills thoughts" thread, I figured I'd point out that BUF WR Sammy Watkins claims that "they found out today that Revis will be trailing him all over the field..."

Hmmm. I wonder if Bill Belichick knows about this information?

Watkins expects to be guarded by Revis | ProFootballTalk

“We actually found he’s gonna be following me around the field, so I’m gonna have to be prepared for his jams,” Watkins said Wednesday, via Mike Rodak of ESPN.com. “He’s very smart. I have to be very competitive and smart off the ball.”

It’s unclear how Watkins and the Bills know that Revis will be guarding him...​
I actually will be surprised if it happens. Even troy brown said the same thing in CSSNE. They will probably double him. He is not like Green who just runs sideline routes mostly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back