PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some "Ask Vic" items on the upcoming game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.jaguars.com/News/Article.aspx?id=5737

Dennis from Jacksonville: What is the most important thing the Jaguars need to do to beat the Patriots?
Vic: Stop Tom Brady. For New England, it begins and ends with Brady. He’s the guy you have to beat. Beat him and you beat them.
-----
Micheal from Beaufort, SC: Vic, You are the man. You always show true grit after losses, choosing to tackle questions about what everybody saw head on; great Monday column. If Taylor and Jones-Drew can't go Sunday, who backs up Toefield?
Vic: Alvin Pearman is still there. The Jags will be OK at running back. LaBrandon Toefield is healthy and certainly on fresh legs. I thought he looked quick and powerful on Sunday. The Jags need a healthy Fred Taylor/Maurice Jones-Drew combination, but I think Sunday’s game is going to fall more on David Garrard’s shoulders. Bill Belichick is a defensive genius and it won’t take a genius to know how to attack the Jaguars: stop the run at all cost and dare them to throw the ball. That’s what any team is going to do when it’s facing an opponent that’s rushed for 577 yards in the last two games and whose quarterback is coming off a game in which he threw three interceptions and had three turnovers returned for touchdowns. The Patriots have the league’s number four rush-defense. I expect the Jaguars will have to make plays in the passing game to win this Sunday.
-----
Chadwin from Oak Ridge, TN: While watching this game, I got the impression Garrard was making great plays with his feet. As the game went on, I started to question that statement, especially with the turnovers. Was Garrard really making great plays with his feet or was it the receivers not getting open or Garrard being hesitant in the pocket?
Vic: When David Garrard’s back foot reached the depth of the pocket on Sunday, his receivers were covered. At that point, the ball has to come out of his hand or the rhythm of the play has been disrupted. Jeff Lageman made the depth-of-the-pocket observation to me yesterday after having spent the whole day watching tape of Sunday’s game. What Garrard did was use his feet to buy time for his receivers to run around and get open while their quarterback was running around to avoid the rush. That’s not what you want. You want a passing game that delivers the ball on time and to a receiver who is coming open as he is coming out of his break.
I love this item on NFL rules.
Kenneth from Jacksonville: I know the rule about having to come to the ground with complete control, but isn't it getting a little out of control? Even though the rule hurt both teams, I don't like it. Thoughts?
Vic: The receivers have been given every advantage. You can’t touch them beyond five yards. If you so much as cast a shadow on them you’ll get called for pass interference. At the least, they should be expected to catch the ball. I see nothing wrong with the way the rule regarding possession and control is being interpreted. I wanna see the ball caught and held firmly. If I were a head coach, I would teach my players to dramatize possession and control by handing the ball to an official after the catch.

I read his column while researching something or other. He's very good. plain spoken and clear.

Dennis from Jacksonville: What is the most important thing the Jaguars need to do to beat the Patriots?
Vic: Stop Tom Brady. For New England, it begins and ends with Brady. He’s the guy you have to beat. Beat him and you beat them.

Scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back