Welcome to PatsFans.com

Somali pirate gets over 33 years in prison

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by reflexblue, Feb 16, 2011.

1. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

He's probably relieved, he can live better in a US prison than he could playing a pirate.

Somali pirate gets over 33 years in prison - Yahoo! News

NEW YORK – A Somali pirate who attacked a U.S.-flagged ship off the coast of Africa in 2009 was sentenced to more than 33 years in prison Wednesday by an emotional judge who said a long sentence was necessary to deter others and punish the only survivor among a group of pirates who "appeared to relish their most depraved acts."

U.S. District Judge Loretta A. Preska sometimes became choked up as she described the harm Abdiwali Abdiqadir Muse brought to the crew aboard a merchant ship in the Indian Ocean.

She ordered Muse to serve 33 years and nine months in prison, rejecting a plea for leniency by his defense lawyers.
  2. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +614 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Well, it's better than what the Russians do to them. Those guys don't **** around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTrkcQJ9i2I (WARNING: Some graphic content and Russians speaking Russian)

Highlight:

Somali pirate bleeding profusely on the deck, being interviewed by the Russian

Somali: This is a fishing boat!
    Russian (as other Russians are pulling out AKs, pistols, and grenades): Why do you LIE to me?
    Other Russian (looking at one of their pistols): Hey man, what the **** is this?
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  3. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Last spring i was reading about the Russians getting a hold of some pirates, they just shot them. Said they were trying to escape or fight back don't remember, but your right the Russians don't Fck around. Some times i allow myself to admire that simplicity.
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +358 / 11 / -27

Not sure a long sentence will be much of a deterrent.. there have not been to many who have been caught or tried.. for most pirates it is a win win situation.

These guys operate on a terrific profit margin, and life is cheap.
  5. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +614 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

I do agree that it's pretty easy to admire the simplicity of the Russian approach. What constantly amazes me is the free pass the Russians get. It's almost as if people just expect that, when the Russian military comes to town, carnage ensues. Look at Chechnya. Not a peep about it in the world press, but had we or any other remotely Western nation (Israel, ahem) conducted warfare like that, the world would be all over it.

I think the secret to getting away with it is not caring what the world thinks. The Russians definitely don't.

Btw, the stories of Russian engagements with Somali pirates are starting to become the stuff of legend now. I think people are getting tired of using kid gloves with people like this.
  6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,023 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

Darryl said what I was thinking .............. :yeahthat: