PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Solve This Dichotomy Please. NE/SEA vs SF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wet/Cold Conditions + Poor Ball Security.

The Patriots had 5 huge plays in the game that caused them to lose. 2 fumbles and 2 picks, plus a huge special teams breakdown are what caused these losses. In normal conditions i believe the Patriots win that game, perhaps not easily, but i believe they win.

I think that's a good analysis, but I would change "huge special teams breakdown" to "multiple special teams breakdowns."

I put it this way when thinking about the recent stretch of games. I'm not too worried if we have to face SF in the SB, but I don't want to play Houston again to get there. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I want to play the Jags again either. :singing:

Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch the 49er game so as a question to those who did, can you solve this dilemma thrown up on twitter:

https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/283295365128675330

so why the difference? Obviously, as good as Russell Wilson has been, he's not as good as Brady so why were he and the Seahawks successful at 3rd downs where the Patriots so clearly weren't?

No Justin Smith. That is why the Pats were able to come back in the second half the previous week.

As we also went 4-12 against the Jags on 3rd down, I'd suggest the problem goes beyond the 49ers just being tired against the Seahawks. Whether it's a short-term hiccup or something more fundamental, it seems to me that the problem is more Patriots-centric than is being suggested.

Considering the Patriots are #1 in 3rd down conversions at 49% I wouldn't worry too much.

No Justin Smith. That is why the Pats were able to come back in the second half the previous week.

the absence of one guy doesn't lead to the pats scoring 28 points in that short of a time frame. the pats were driving on the 1st possession of the second half against the niners until Ridley fumbled it away - otherwise they likely would have scored a TD. they then give up a quick TD and then scored on the ensuing drive. I believe justin smith was present at that point.

I'm sure the absence of Justin Smith helped .
Yoooge.

But anyway these three-way team comparisons often don't make sense especially where division rivals are concerned.

One stat I'd like to see is the W/L record of west coast teams the week after they traveled to the east coast.

I had the feeling that Seattle was waiting like a spider in its web for those San Franciso Treats to show up.

I'd take Seattle against anybody right now..
Not a bad choice but don't forget they play a lot tougher at home than on the road. They caught SF flat too. They may look a little better right now than they are. And as good as Wilson is, the SB is an awfully big stage for a rookie.

I'll still take the Pats if Dennard and Talib show up and can move about well, and if Gronk gets back his groove. It's a different team if those things happen.

And with the game on the line, SF resumed kicking the crap out of NE.
Smokin' Joe won some rounds in Manilla too, baby. Two great teams traded punches and one managed to get the last punch in. That does not define who is better - just who was better than night. And that night the fumbles were bouncing back to SF. Just strange but it happens.

But also SF's final TD doesn't happen (IMO) if Dennard was at corner instead of Arrington. I realize that is no excuse but in considering a rematch you sure do have to consider it. In a rematch you have to consider that plus Gronk.

The Crabapple TD never happens with Dennard on the field, but it's the kick return that bothers me still. They can't let that happen in the playoffs. We saw that once (Packers) and we don't want to ever see it again.

absence of justin smith for a whole game is a big deal.

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

absence of justin smith for a whole game is a big deal.

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

Nobody gave us props for playing without Gronk and Cunningham. You shouldn't give them, a team that has been extraordinarily healthy do far, props either

When any team has 4 turnovers, no other statistic really matters.. the chance of winning in the NFL borders on nonexistent...

Add in the fact the opponent fumbles six times and only loses one.

As such, this indicates it was a conditions affected sloppy game that is N/A for a game in a dome in NO.

Even on ESPN, they opined that it was a "once the Patriots figured the SF defense out"....game.

What's comical is a defense that gives up well over 500 yards, 34 points, 32 first downs, and 92 plays is held in such high esteem.

patsfans.com is unique in it's ability to pre-determine and morph evaluation criteria to fit the notion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back