PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Solder

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Should the patriots pay Solder over $7.1M guaranteed for his 2015 services, with him being an UFA at the end of the 2015 season?

Barring an extension, that is the decision the team needs to make before this season ends.

To put it another way, would you sign Solder to a new $7.1M one year contact?

$7.438M, actually.

Assuming he isn't struggling through playing hurt, absolutely not. Then there are the head injuries, which could explain the lapse in performance.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2013/12/15/5214442/bnotd-tackle-nate-solder-pulled-for-fourth-concussion

How many did he have before the nfl?

He certainly hasn't warranted that number. While not outrageously high for a lt, there is certainly room for discussion on a longer deal.

Luckily they have through the season to decide. If it comes to cutting solder to sign Revis/McCourty, I'll personally drive Nate to the airport.

Yes. Last thing we need is to spend resources on a key position in the midst of Brady's final years. It's only one year. Never forget Light followed up his worst year with his best.

I wouldn't mind giving him another year but not at that number.

Yes. Last thing we need is to spend resources on a key position in the midst of Brady's final years. It's only one year. Never forget Light followed up his worst year with his best.
So, your idea is to pay Solder $7.4M for one year in the hopes that his play will justify that amount?

Solder has been a soldier.

Even though sacks are down from last year, when Solder looks bad he looks really bad...

He is still only 27 years old, and his contract for a LT is not that unreasonable...

I suspect he will be with the team next year, and will not be surprised if the Pats use another 1st or 2nd round draft pick to try to find a successor...

I think his height works against him sometimes.

So, your idea is to pay Solder $7.4M for one year in the hopes that his play will justify that amount?

Better than the alternative. Vollmer to protect Brady, or 1st round pick. churning our wheels. Good LTs get more than $7.4m. This position is 3rd most important on the field after QB and CB, though good DE is probably tied with good LT.

I'm weighing what it would take to replace Solder with no guarantee of improvement to giving Solder another year to evaluate.

Fleming might be an option here. Actually flipping Fleming and Solder might be something worth looking into. Having Solder play TE (which we started out as). But, of course, not at 7.3 million.

He certainly had difficulty with Freeney, although, he isn't the first tackle to having trouble with him. I think Freeney's height, or lack there of, was an issue, it got him leaning to far forward. Plus he had no answer for the spin move.

Nothing Dante couldn't fix.

Better than the alternative. Vollmer to protect Brady, or 1st round pick. churning our wheels. Good LTs get more than $7.4m. This position is 3rd most important on the field after QB and CB, though good DE is probably tied with good LT.

I'm weighing what it would take to replace Solder with no guarantee of improvement to giving Solder another year to evaluate.
If we keep Solder under his current contract, we would likely be drafting an OT in the first or second round of the 2015 draft. Given that Welker's agent is Solder's agent, we would need to be prepared for Solder to walk in 2016.

And, yes, Solder might indeed be worth $7.4M for one year, while Belichick looks for an OT.

if he's terrible, then he's not worth keeping. Sounds like he's had too many concussions, maybe he should retire.

If we keep Solder under his current contract, we would likely be drafting an OT in the first or second round of the 2015 draft. Given that Welker's agent is Solder's agent, we would need to be prepared for Solder to walk in 2016.

And, yes, Solder might indeed be worth $7.4M for one year, while Belichick looks for an OT.

I think Cannon's contract gives the Pats some negotiating room for dealing with Solder's contract.

I think Jared Veldeer's 2014 deal from Arizona would be a good basis for a Solder extension: 5 years/$35M, with a $6.25M signing bonus and $10.5M guaranteed. Cap hits of $2.5M, $7.75M, $8.25M, $8.25M and $8.25M. Lowering Solder's 2015 cap hit by $5M would help the Pats quite a bit. Veldheer if anything has had a better career than Solder through their first 4 years. I'm guessing the sticking point will probably be more over the guaranteed money than the AAV, as I can't see Solder justifying Brandon Albert or Jason Peters kind of money. Given his concussion history and the dip in his pay, I would think the Pats would try and get away with less guaranteed.

Tennessee's Michael Roos is a UFA this year, and is coming off of IR. If things break down with Solder, I could see the Pats cutting him and trying to sign Roos as a short term contingency.

I'm mixed on Solder.

Positives :
1. Healthy - he's missed a few games over his career, but doesn't seem to have any lingering issues.
2. Knows the system
3. It's hard to find a solid LT
4. He's Solid and tough
5. We play a complex offensive scheme so a new player would have a steep learning curve.

Negatives :
1. A bit slow-footed. I wouldn't say he's elite in pass rush situations. He struggles against quick defenders
2. I like him more as a RT

Right now i would keep him for sure. But kind of like ML, if we draft a guy who BB thinks is as good, then I'm ok with trading him since I don't consider him elite.

Last edited:
I am mixed on Solder too I thought he was well on his way to being one of the Best LT's in this league until he hit his road blocks. When Solder looks bad he's just bad I think he gets intimadated by some Defenders. On the other hand when he's good he looks like a second coming. I seriously thought that Solder would be better overall player than Matt Light but Matt Light's bad games were few and very far inbetween. I say pay him the money that might be the going rate for a Decent LT.

Nate S. = rag doll / dough boy

They probably cut him for his own good. This is a great draft for OTs. Just draft one and save yourself 7M.

Sorry. I thought this thread was about Naste Soder. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes