Welcome to PatsFans.com

'Socks, Scissors, Paper: The Sandy Berger Caper'

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Mar 30, 2007.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +466 / 12 / -14

Special on Fox news Sat 3/31 at 9pm.

Sounds interesting since so many are interested in lies and cover ups by administration officials in connection with the WOT. The justice dept apparently wanted to bury this investigation. I sure Waxman and Schumer will call froa congressional investigation. :rolleyes:

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +828 / 27 / -33

Did you ever think that there was not a more forceful investigation of this matter as whatever Berger did would be potentially very embarassing to this administration?? It makes no sense for the partisan gov't that was appointed when this happened to just overlook this matter. If they could have, they would have pursued it and continued to embarass the Billy Clinton crowd. All the pieces do not add up here. This is not a conspiracy theory, just that what they did does not make sense, not sure anything does though.

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,150 / 5 / -10

The NEED to stay on this Sandy Burger theft isn't to punish or go after this dumpy little sneaky weasel Burger the reason is to find out and make public what the hell those papers were and what they were about.

The hell with Burger, who cares about him he is just another member of that lying dishonest immoral Clinton Gang, it's what he stole thats important and why he stole it, who and what was he trying cover up.

The time to find out what those papers were is now before the American people can go to the polls and vote for another one of those damn wretched Clintons, dear God will they ever go away.
    :bricks:

WHERE IS MONICA?

4. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +828 / 27 / -33

I agree completely, but let's pose this scenario, how about if what he stole was some kind of intelligence that GWB and crew were made aware of, however ignored or something like that. Or he stole something that is very damaging to the current administration. It makes no sense that Alberto and his predecessor, Ashhole, would not have pursued it vigorously just to add another embarassment to the whole Clinton administration. WHY WOULD THE BUSH ADM NOT PUSH THIS CASE, WHY WOULD THEY MAKE A BACK DOOR DEAL??????????? IS THEIR SILENCE AND DEALMAKING A CASE OF BUYING SANDY'S SILENCE?????? ROVE SALIVATES AND MASTURBATES TO THESE OPPORTUNITIES, AND IT WOULD CREATE A GREAT DIVERSION FROM THE REAL ISSUES. SSSHHHHHHH IT IS AWFUL QUIET ON 1600 PENN AVE ON THIS ISSUE.

5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +595 / 24 / -19

It's pathetic that the right keeps trying to dig up the past to avert attention from the increasing number of scandals by the corrupt Republicans. It's really a matter of Republicans trying to avoid taking responsibility for their own failures. I never believed the Party of Personal Responsibility ever took responsibility for its failures. It's the Party of Lies and Rationalization. As far as Berger goes, while he did commit a crime, his crime was not as bad as righties make it out to be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Berger#Convicted_of_mishandling_classified_terror_documents

Critics suggest Berger destroyed primary evidence revealing anti-terrorism policies and actions, and that his motive was to permanently erase Clinton administration pre-9/11 mistakes from the public record. Public statements to this effect have been made by talk-radio host Rush Limbaugh,[16] former Clinton campaign advisor Dick Morris,[17] USA Today reporter Jack Kelley,[18] multiple times by Fox News correspondent John Gibson (the last as recently as December 2006[19]), and former House Speaker Dennis Hastert (Republican-Illinois), who said: "What information could be so embarrassing that a man with decades of experience in handling classified documents would risk being caught pilfering our nation's most sensitive secrets?"[20]

After a long investigation, the lead prosecutor Noel Hillman, chief of the Justice Department's public integrity section, stated that Berger only removed classified copies of data stored on hard drives stored in the National Archives, and that no original material was destroyed.[21] His and the FBI's opinion of the case initially led The Wall Street Journal to editorialize against the allegations, stating in part:

“Justice says the picture that emerged is of a man who knowingly and recklessly violated the law in handling classified documents, but who was not trying to hide any evidence. Prosecutors believe Mr. Berger genuinely wanted to prepare for his testimony before the 9/11 Commission but felt he was somehow above having to spend numerous hours in the Archives as the rules required, and that he didn't exactly know how to return the documents once he'd taken them out... We called Justice Department Public Integrity chief prosecutor Noel Hillman, who assured us that Mr. Berger did not deny any documents to history. 'There is no evidence that he intended to destroy originals,' said Mr. Hillman. 'There is no evidence that he did destroy originals. We have objectively and affirmatively confirmed that the contents of all the five documents at issue exist today and were made available to the 9/11 Commission.'[22]

6. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,150 / 5 / -10

I agree, OPEN IT UP and let's get on with it and if the Bush people are guilty of something send them to prison also with the the little crook, the people should know what that little bastard stole no matter who it hurts.

Get them all, they got Libby, now they are after Gonzales and when they are through with him they should go after the Burger thing to find out what the hell this little skunk stole.

He stole something and he stole it for a reason, he was trying to "Cover Something" you don't have to be a Grammar school Grad to figure that out.

7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +828 / 27 / -33

We approach common ground... scary isn't it.

8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,150 / 5 / -10

I know, I had to go lie down for a few minutes :D

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

Sorry, but I don't care if he stole the recipe for Barbara Bush's Jumbalya, the fukcer should be strung up and in jail, on trial, whatever. I want to what he took, and why he took it, regardless of who it might incriminate. I can't believe the MSM is no where on this issue. This is an outrageous act. The guy walked in and stole classified documents. Beyond that, the JD only probated his top secret clearance for 3 years! WTF is that? :mad:

10. Patters

Ratings:
    +595 / 24 / -19

It's a dead issue. The people investigating said he took copies of documents that appeared to be relevant to his testimony. Rather than return the copies, he destroyed them. You might think there should be a tougher sentence, but that's just because this is a Republihack issue, and what else can you complain about except the punishment? But, here's the bright side, maybe the law will make an example of how seriously it takes misuse of information with Libby. After all, we have a conservative president. He'll show us how it's done. :rolleyes:

11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...................

Yup, you're not a hack on this issue either right? Yup, sure..... :rolleyes:

The fukcing guy walked into the archives and STOLE irreplacable, classified info. PERIOD! He should be in Levanworth. You're pathetic.

12. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We should have a contest to determine the most partisan member of this board and I would like to nominate none our that our ignorant friend, Patters.

Everything Republicans do is criminal and everything democrats do is perfectly ok or (as quoted above) "not as bad as righties make it out to be."

13. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The Sandy Berger issue is not dead. [highlight]Nothing[/highlight] is ever dead. [highlight]Anything[/highlight] may be revived and resurrected. If it serves the public good that the Berger theft of classified government documents be made public, it will be made public.

Ignorance is [highlight]not[/highlight] bliss. The truth will set us free.

//

14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +828 / 27 / -33

If you really believe it to be true, why haven't they done anything?? If the incident would embarass Bill or the Clinton name, why would they let it be swept under the rug. How do you know it is not dead?? Betcha there is a lot more to this picture than meets the eye.

15. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

EXACTIMUNDO!!!

There is/are reasons why this has not been brought up. Could be many reasons: Bush would rather not get bogged down in negative sh!t, there may be genuine national security issues involved, maybe it's a case of quid pro quo: you don't mention my mistake and I won't get into yours, etc.

Bottom line: if there is a real public benefit to be served by re-visiting Sandy Berger's theft of classified government documents, it will be re-visited. If not, it will probably be left to die a natural death forever.

//

16. Patters

Ratings:
    +595 / 24 / -19

He took copies according to anyone other than conspiracy nuts and right-wing lunatics.

17. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I read they were originals, not copies. Uh-oh, I guess that makes me.... :eek:

//

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  18. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +466 / 12 / -14

Have you considered the idea that when it comes to the WOT that perhaps Bush isn't as partisan as you think he is????

Just a thought. Another possibility is that there are partisans opposed to the current administration policies among the bureaucrats within the justice dept.

The idea that Burger, who is a Clinton partisan was destroying docs to help the Bush administration isn't plausible IMO.
    I would like to see Berger go through with his promise to submit to a polygraph test to determine exactly what and how many documents he destroyed and what those documents concerned.

19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +466 / 12 / -14

Actually the head on the national archives says they don't know what and how many documents were destroyed. Interesting to see you supporting the coverup though. :eek:

20. Patters

Ratings:
    +595 / 24 / -19

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Berger#Convicted_of_mishandling_classified_terror_documents

This is from Wikipedia but check out the source: The Washington Times!

After a long investigation, the lead prosecutor Noel Hillman, chief of the Justice Department's public integrity section, stated that Berger only removed classified copies of data stored on hard drives stored in the National Archives, and that no original material was destroyed.[21]

Personally, it seems to me that if Berger was doing anything more sinister than circumventing a bureaucracy, he would have been in a lot more trouble. Obviously, he hoped to take the copies and destroy them rather than go through the trouble of bringing them back. I bet it happens a lot. He was in the wrong, and deserves the punishment he got, but lets not turn his crime into something it's not. Like Libby, he is victim of this particular political age. They made mistakes that in normal times would have no consequences, except a reprimand.