Welcome to PatsFans.com

Soccer game today.................................

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by ScotBhoy, Apr 22, 2006.

1. ScotBhoy

ScotBhoy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

In Glasgow.
    Celtic v Rangers.
    As a season ticket holder, I will be there. Not a lot for Celtic to play for as they have already won the league title, but very important for Rangers with regards to them playing in Europe's premier soccer competition next season. Rangers will be well up for it due to second placed Hearts getting beat by Hibernian today.
    Hopefully, we will inflict a mortal wound to Rangers' hopes today and help Hearts retain that all important second position in the league.
    With all the european media focus on this game tomorrow regarding the sectarian/political hatred between the supporters, I hope that both sets embrace the efforts made by both clubs to remember it is just a game and nobody deserves to get seriously injured or die because of which team they support.
    I predict Celtic to win 2-1 at odds of 7/1 and will be putting £5 of my hard earned cash on it! Up the Celts!!

2. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +715 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

Totally agree with your sentiments. The depths to which soccer supporters will sink is shameful and few go as low as Rangers/Celts in my experience. That's the reason I'm an ex-soccer fan. Got to smile at your phrase about "all the european media focus", though -- sadly, I doubt that there is anyone who is not Scottish who notices Scottish football these days.

3. ScotBhoy

ScotBhoy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Although not totally an ex-soccer fan, my enjoyment of the game is now limited to the Champion's league and Sky's coverage of Spain's La Liga with Real Madrid and Barca. The English premiership games promise much but rarely deliver. My love of NFL means I would put it first before a soccer game. My dvd recorder with hard drive (best thing I have ever bought) still has the Superbowl on it which I will watch again soon. Sunday nights are not the same without gridiron on tv.
    Mike, the bit about all the european media focus is with regard to an ongoing investigation by UEFA into sectarian abuse and singing aimed at the Celtic support by the Rangers support. There was a delegation there today to gather evidence. I didn't mean to give a false impression that anyone in Europe other than people in Scotland and Ireland were interested in the game today. My apologies for not giving more details.
    Anyway, there was a good atmosphere there today. Both sets of supporters were on there best behaviour, and if this was because of UEFA then long may it continue.
    The game itself was total crap, 0-0.
    September seems like a lifetime away. Cannot come quickly enough. The NFL season should be extended by a couple of months!

4. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +715 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

Well, I guess that makes the point better than anything. I, who read the sports pages here pretty regularly, hadn't read about the UEFA investigation at all (to be fair, I've been in France for a month recently, but still, I read the BBC web site). Shows how interested the English are in Scottish football these days.

I'm truly sad at (and mystified by) the decline of Scottish football. I remember seeing so many great, great Scottish players -- Denis Law, Billy Bremner, Eddie Gray and the legendary Jim Baxter come to mind. Sure, many of them had to move to England to make their fortunes, but Scotland always was (and, from what I can see, still is) completely football-crazy. At a guess, though, now there are more Irish players than Scottish ones in the Football League. If that meant that the Scots were all staying at home and raising the standards there, well great ... But it hasn't happened. If I were the Scottish First Minister, restoring Scotland as a football power would be top of my to-do list. (Not that I want to go back to having every Scot in England running around with his beer-gut hanging out of a blue shirt singing "We're on the march wi' Allie's Army ...")

5. patriotspride

patriotspride Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

soccer is a real yawn fest.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  6. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I'm disillusioned by soccer as well, although I will always be a United fan. Rumours of the atmosphere at Old Trafford being like a morgue are not far off the mark. The last game I went to was against Lyon last year and it was like being sat at home. There are too many people who don't understand the way that teams are tied into local or ethnic identity and sit there like dummies. The local kids don't get to see games, while the richer fan comes in with their Megastore hat, shirt and burger, telling people to sit down and stop singing. It's sad really.
    Anyway, going back to the main part of your post, it's good to see the fans behaving themselves. The fixtures has had too much of the really nasty sectarianism and racism over the years. Oh, and I'm relieved that Rangers didn't win. :D

7. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hey ScotBhoy!

Did you make it to the Ba' this year? Now THATS a sport! Try to slam a decapitated head into a wall or into the bay! Of course, nowadays, they use a leather ball? bag? stuffed thing? to represent the head.

For those that dont know, its an annual game played in this one town. The north against the south side of town. Everyone participates and there are no rules. The whole town has to be boarded up because the mobs would run right through the buildings and demolish them. Someone drops the "head" down from a tower into the mob. Everyone fights to get it either against a wall on one side of town or into the water on the other. Again, no rules. Kicking, punching, etc. all allowed. No boundaries. Guys wear steel shin guards and sharpened steel covered boots. Way cool!

edit: here's a link http://www.bagame.com/

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006