Welcome to PatsFans.com

Sobering news

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

13,470 Deaths attributed to drunk driving in 2006

Drunken driving deaths up in 22 states

ARLINGTON, Va. (AP) — Drunken driving fatalities increased in 22 states in 2006 and fell in 28 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, federal transportation officials said Monday.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration released data showing there were 13,470 deaths in 2006 involving drivers and motorcycle operators with blood alcohol levels of .08 or higher, which is the legal limit for adults throughout the country. The number was down slightly from 2005, when 13,582 people died in crashes involving legally drunk drivers.

The overall number of deaths involving drivers and motorcycle operators with any amount of alcohol in their blood was 17,602 last year. That was up from 17,590 in 2005, according to spokeswoman Heather Ann Hopkins.

"The number of people who died on the nation's roads actually fell last year," U.S. Transportation Secretary Mary Peters said at a news conference in this Washington suburb. "However the trend did not extend to alcohol-related crashes."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-08-20-drunk-driving_N.htm?csp=34

//
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

If you continue the story it is interesting to see what states had the increase and which had the decrease.. not sure what this means. The problem with drunk driving is that the liquor lobby and producers continue to inundate the market with new products that appeal to different factions in an effort to get people to drink, when we grew up it was Tango.. not sure what it is now, as I do not choose to drink, but as I drive along I notice that there are more and more advertisements appealing to different segments people, and to further define it it varies by neighbourhood.

Do not drive in Texas...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-08-20-drunk-driving_N.htm?csp=34
    Among states, Arizona, Kansas and Texas had the greatest increases in number of drunken driving deaths last year. But Utah, Kansas and Iowa had the largest percentage increases compared with 2005. Texas had the largest actual number drunken driving deaths with a total of 1,354.

Florida, Missouri and Pennsylvania had the greatest decreases in numbers of drunken driving deaths last year, while the District of Columbia, Alaska and Delaware had the largest percentage decreases compared with 2005. The District of Columbia had the smallest actual number of drunken driving deaths with a total of 12.
  3. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Wow Tango I'd forgotten about Tango....memories............
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

nothing like vomiting up tango.. didn't call it acid reflux then.
  5. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Mad Dog,nothing quite like Mad Dog 20/20 and bed spins.Hell on earth for a 17 year old. And my first "I'll never drink again."
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  6. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I had the same experience with this stuff as a kid.
    Give some dude a 10 spot for some tango and not get any change.
    The stuff was , what 3 or 4 dollars.
    Oh well. We all gotta make money.