Welcome to PatsFans.com

So...Why was it ok to insult Community Organizers?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Lifer, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

All thru the GOP convention they would sneer and jab and poke fun of community organizing, as if thats what Obama has been doing the past 10 years. He started in Chicago as that, but even so, what..is exactly wrong with community organizing? Or was it, as some have felt, including me when i first heard it, as kind of a Willie Horton type reminder that, hey, Obama is black.
    We cant touch McCain because, after all, he was a POW, and we cant say a thing about Palin, because she is a woman. But its fine to make fun of "the community".
    Ever been to an inner city area that needed community organizing?? Much more substantial than starting off as a beauty queen or reading the sports on a local tv station.

ok, i know....so much for not talking about Palin. hahaha
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +398 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

For the same reason the other side thinks it's OK to insult small town mayors, I would assume.
  3. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

fine, but the Dems arent acting like a bunch of babies about it either. You say anything about McCain or Palin and they get crazy because hes an untouchable POW and shes a poor,helpless, woman.

the people at Fox need to grow up. its politics.
  4. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

[​IMG]
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

I think it's because community organizers generally work for poor people, people of color, and other minorities, who the Republican Party doesn't care about. Also, from the tone of their campaign, they're clearly not running on issues, they're running on any other kind of garbage they can find. While many of Obama's supporters, myself included, are playing tit for tat with the garbage issues, Obama and Biden are not talking about such things except to condemn it. Obama spoke at length today about education, in a very intelligent and serious way. The problem for him (and frankly McCain) is that tv, the predominant media, gets better ratings off of sensationalism than it does off of serious policy discussion.
  6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +398 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

No, quit generalizing. Those groups aren't likely to vote (R) so there's few votes to lose. That doesn't mean the party doesn't care.
  7. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

Either that, or it's a BS euphemistic title given to someone that really hasn't done a whole lot, which Obama has not.
  8. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

That's pretty much how I saw it. I didn't think race entered into it at all.
  9. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

I think he's done a lot. Community organizer, Harvard Law School graduated magna cum laude, lawyer, taught Constitutional law for 12 years, was a State senator for 8 years, was a US senator for 4 years, even worked for a business firm for a year or so (a firm that helped American businesses overseas). I think that's pretty good for a man his age. What has McCain done that wasn't at the taxpayer's expense?
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +388 / 5 / -2

Gimme a break. The CO thing was entirely a jab at the democrats contention that Palin was merely a "mayor" of some dinky town, and therefore not qualified to be a VP. The Dems picked on mayor, so the pubs picked on community organizer. ANYONE with a shred of objectivity and reason understands that. They no more were criticizing CO's, as the dems were small town mayors. This election has truly become the most idiotic game of he said she said, and what kind of retarded sexist, or racist spin can we put on common speech. It's truly sad (and I'm not speaking soley to you here Lifer), that so many people in the general public, and specifically in here, have followed suit. I'm elated that I'm not voting for either the party of tweedle dee, and tweedle do, come November.

Seriously though, this bit about it having some racial conotation is ridiculous.
  11. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

In some cases say in Chitown for example 'community organizers are marxist following the Alinsky/Gramsci model of revolution. Being a marxist revolutionary isn't great preparation for being President unless you like communism.

Here are articles concerning his activities as a community organizer. Also there is a link to a letter by Alinshy's son complimenting BO for how he used daddy's "rules for radicals' at the dem convention.

Revolution you can believe in
    http://www.spectator.co.uk/melaniephillips/2073071/revolution-you-can-believe-in.thtml

Democrats’ Platform for Revolution
    http://frontpagemag.com/articles/Read.aspx?GUID=D6E27ECE-9798-4F01-A378-3F1405F69704

Son sees father's handiwork in convention

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/.../31/son_sees_fathers_handiwork_in_convention/
  12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +783 / 6 / -15

#87 Jersey

Well I guess some people missed my post in this thread: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...php?p=1012038&highlight=community#post1012038

So I will post it again.

Obama DID NOT organize bake sales ... he organized to get $$$ as the definition suggests.
  13. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

I followed Alinsky when I was a student activist, and used some of his ideas for a variety of purposes, including to oust actual Communist Party members from a statewide student organization. Reading Rules for Radicals and following Alinksy has nothing whatsoever to do with Marxism. You are simply engaging in the anachronistic practice of red-baiting, which makes me think you're very old, very out of touch, or believe any effort to fight oppression is communist. One does not have to be in any way a Marxist to follow Alinsky's ideas, just as one does not have to be a fascist to red bait.
  14. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +783 / 6 / -15

#87 Jersey

I was too young to understand the commie crap of the 60's ... were you old enough to understand it at the time Patters? I was old enough to love the music Hendrix, Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, Procul Harem ... but my political awareness did not kick in until the early 70's.
  15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

BO not only uses Alinshy's tatics he has of course as you are loathe to admit hung out with marxist in Chitown and worked with radicals in chicags as documented in the articles I linked. I can see why you are denial about these assoications but that doens't change the history.

I would also not that Alinsky and Gramsci use deception as part of their method. So BO would of course not present himself as an extremist since he couldn't get elected if he presented his real views.

I would also note that admit that you will lie t promote your agenda. I am not concerned how you implemented Alinsky's radical communist principals, the issue here is Obama and people like Ayers.
  16. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

No, the issue is red-baiting when reds, practically speaking, no longer exist. You and the right are raising a absurd anachronistic issue here. Deception is a small piece of Alinsky's approach. His writings that I read are far more practical, and frankly if we want to I suppose we can make a case that McCain -- captured by the Vietnamese, agreed to make propaganda recordings for them, signed a confession, returned home and led the drive to make peace with the Vietnamese, gave up on the MIA issue, got the Vietnamese to agree they would not to release his records -- is actually a Vietnamese spy. After all, Trotsky believed in boring from within, and McCain would be a far better choice than Obama in that regard.

And where are the photos of Ayers and Obama or the host of witnesses who can talk about them palling around?
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Practical communism, I love it. Putting lipstick on a pig as the saying goes. People don't call themselves communist cause the label is a bit tainted after a few hundred killed by it. So relabeling it is an important part of what Alinsky and Gramsci promote.

After the O'Reilly it is clear that BO lied when describing his relationship with Ayers.
  18. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Patsfan13, sorry to disappoint you, but Communism does not exist any longer except in a few small countries. As an economic system, it's been discredited. As a progressive political system it's been discredited. As a system that helps the poor and working class, it's been discredited. All systems are blended now. With very, very few exceptions, all nations have somewhat hybrid economic systems. Red baiting might appeal to people who are in their 70s and older, so I suggest you target that audience.

I just read the transcript of Obama and O'Really, and it seems to me you're being very dishonest. Do you think Mayor Daley of Chicago was a Communist, too, because of his association with Ayers? Do you think Ayers students were Communist because they chose to attend his classes? Do you think Annenberg was a Communist? How about Reagan? After all, he knew Annenberg, who funded what you seem to think was a Communist front?
  19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Although communism has been an utter failure, people like Ms Dorn (Michelle o's co-worker when she met BO) and hubby Bill Ayers, firends of the Obama's still believe that capitalism is evil and must be destroyed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dba7_D3m1U
  20. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

I know people quite far to the left of me and certainly to the right of me. As a statewide student activist eons ago, I sat on a committee that had at least one Communist Party member. As a director of a political campaign for a bond issue eons ago, I sat on a committee that had both union leaders and Republican business leaders. Just because one knows and works with people of different political persuasions doesn't mean that one shares that persuasion. Don't you personally know some people who have very different views from you? Even if Obama and Ayers were best friends, I wouldn't see your point. And, besides, politicians tend to have friends of a great variety of political persuasions for the simple reasons they enjoy politics. Reagan and Gorby seemed to like each other quite a bit.