PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So why the assumption that Revis is on Moss, 1 on 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTTA

He/Him
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, they've done some of that before, but a classic strategy is to put your #1 CB on the #2 WR, allowing a near permanent double of the #1. Cowboys did that when they played the 49rs with Sanders on Taylor, then doubling Rice.

So if I'm the Jets, I think about putting Revis on Welker, taking him out of the game that way, doubling Moss, taking him out of the game that way, and if I'm going to give up passing yards to Brady, make him throw it to the other WR, TE's, and RB's.

Even if they planned to do that, which I doubt, I bet Revis will demand to be assigned to Moss. It's personal between them.

Yes, they've done some of that before, but a classic strategy is to put your #1 CB on the #2 WR, allowing a near permanent double of the #1. Cowboys did that when they played the 49rs with Sanders on Taylor, then doubling Rice.

So if I'm the Jets, I think about putting Revis on Welker, taking him out of the game that way, doubling Moss, taking him out of the game that way, and if I'm going to give up passing yards to Brady, make him throw it to the other WR, TE's, and RB's.

Luckily Rex Ryan isn't that smart.

Do you really think Cromartie and a Leonhard or Smith can shut down Moss?
You're trully mistaken. And I'm not sure Revis can shutdown Welker. Wes is harder to cover than Randy, with all those cut moves.

The reason why the Jets are paying him $16 million dollars a year is he is suppose to shut down the #1 without help freeing up a safety that can rush the passer.

Do you really think Cromartie and a Leonhard or Smith can shut down Moss?
You're trully mistaken. And I'm not sure Revis can shutdown Welker. Wes is harder to cover than Randy, with all those cut moves.
I would agree Revis can't shutdown Welker, if Welker was at 100%

Revis had safety help last year and he probably will again, so he won't be 1 on 1.

So who get Welker? Cro? Cro, IMO is not physically suited for covering a slot guy like Wes. That leaves Wilson, or whomever is the 4th CB. I see WW having a big day...

The reason why the Jets are paying him $16 million dollars a year is he is suppose to shut down the #1 without help freeing up a safety that can rush the passer.
Sportscenter and NFL Live had a zillion shots of Moss-Revis from last year and in every shot there was safety help. I thought Revis took Moss on one-on-one. It will be interesting to watch Sunday and see if there is a safety in the picture when they show Revis-Moss going at it.

So who get Welker? Cro? Cro, IMO is not physically suited for covering a slot guy like Wes. That leaves Wilson, or whomever is the 4th CB. I see WW having a big day...
Hopefully close to last year's second game. Both slot receivers had big games, Edelman 8 catches 98 yds in game 1 when Welker was out and Welker with 15/192 in the second game.

according to mike reiss..cromartie has had sucess against moss when he played for the chargers. he is big and faster and can hang on with moss so i wont be surprised if the switch it up.
revis vs moss is the more overhyped subplot IMO. there will always be multiple coverages instead of 1 on 1.
if they take away welker , will be interesting to see how brady handles it. i think there were some games last yr when teams took welker away and brady had trouble.

Let them cover moss and wes, then they will need to cover edelman, tate, hernandez and gronk.

Nothing would blow out Revis' Hammy quicker then WW's dips, jinks, change of directions, stops, starts etc.

Let them cover moss and wes, then they will need to cover edelman, tate, hernandez and gronk.

I am guessing not at the same time! Otherwise the flag will be flying!

I'm sure Brady will have a plan in case of both scenarios. I think either way they're going to look to get Moss involved early.

and don't forget Crumpler, especially against Leonhard, Smith and Wilson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots