PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So who will be cut given 6 will have to go??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
McKenzie IR and 5 others...thinking 2 of the 3 Navy guys and 3 of..WRs Nunn and Ortiz, DL SWilliams and CB Love..although that is just my quick thinking....

McKenzie IR and 5 others...thinking 2 of the 3 Navy guys and 3 of..WRs Nunn and Ortiz, DL SWilliams and CB Love..although that is just my quick thinking....

I like Nunn and/or Ortiz to stick around as camp bodies. Love would seem the obvious choice. Possibly Malone. I think we may also see a surprise vet cut "for he can catch on with another team before camp." Tank?

Last edited:

The Navy guys will probably all end up on the Reserve-Military list (as did Eckel after Saban swiped him), with the WRs going first, and FB Eric Kettani following later.

Love, Tyson Devree, Matt Gutierrez, Ortiz (even though I would like to see him finally make a team),White (we will not have two 5'9'' receivers on our team), and McKenzie on IR...

Love, Tyson Devree, Matt Gutierrez, Ortiz (even though I would like to see him finally make a team),White (we will not have two 5'9'' receivers on our team), and McKenzie on IR...

They're unlikely to cut Gutierrez before TC opens, seeing as he's currently #3 on the depth chart.

Assuming Tate (on PUP) doesn't count against the 80-man limit, who on that list would you keep? [Obviously, I'd keep Gutierrez, although I'd give 50-50 odds he's cut before the season starts.

I expect the Pats to carry two QBs on the 53 and either one or two on the PS. Boyer might have a shot at replacing Gutz. If Gutz doesn't start showing some maturity and POISE.

Bu they will keep at least three and msot likely four, through TC.

You'll have to look elsewhere for cuts...

Gutierrez will be part of the 80 going into camp...as they always have 4 QBs..The only way I see him gone is if they bring in a vet an dat this point not likely.
Also..besides the obvious McKenzie on IR..they could put Tate on PUP-RESERVE which would make him immediately not count amongst the 80 an dmiss teh first part of the season. This is unlikely but possible.
DeVree will be part of the 80 as he's the 5th tight end and usually they have at least that many in camp.
I mentioned DL Steve Williams as a possibility..on the offensive line, Porter could be a cut unless they really think he is progressing and has a shot for a PSQuad position and in a year or so actually make the team. Another lineman Ryan Wendell could be the on eon the outside.
And as Pats1 said..a surprise cut..THAT could happen..always a possibility! They have to make moves pretty soon as they sign players..so??
It is also a surprise that they have not added any players.

I expect the Pats to carry two QBs on the 53 and either one or two on the PS.

They were playing with fire somewhat when they did that in 2006, but I can only assume that the Patriots felt there was a third player who could play QB (Troy Brown, maybe?) if both Brady and Cassel were, God forbid, injured in the same game.

At this point, I think they almost have to carry three QBs, unless they're absolutely certain that, say, Edelman could run an offense (not necessarily the Brady offense) if need be. Remember that the NFL lets you dress 46 players on game day if and only if the 46th player is your third QB.

The surprise will be that all three Navy players will be retained

until the final cut.

until the final cut.
So Besides the given...McKenzie IR..who will the other 5 be??

until the final cut.

That will be very difficult to do.

And with a bunch of signings 4 to go...I think there may be some cuts today....

Quite possibly. The Patriots have only officially announced the Ohrnberger, Butler, and Richard signings so far. The Pryor, Vollmer, Edelman, Tate, and Brace signings are all reported to have been agreed to/finalized. Once all of those contracts are signed and completed, the Pats will need to make 2 cuts. So today I think we might see 2-3 of those announced officially, but only until the 4th and 5th are announced will cuts be needed.

So Besides the given...McKenzie IR..who will the other 5 be??

I don't disagree with your inclusion of the two Navy players but am
puzzled by the fact they are still on the roster despite missing all
the workouts. Belichick must like players in Naval Academy uniforms.

Possible cuts Wendell, Ortiz, Nunn, Love, and Stephen
Williams.

Well, with Gutz having another year under his belt, the first cut seems obvious: It's time to cut loose from that overpaid system player, Tom Brady. That will free up plenty of money for signings and extensions, and it will allow Gutz to step in as the next great Patriots quarterback.

Pats1---very correct..the contracts have to be finalized, approved etc so there is a lag time between the press announcement and the team's. So it may be later today or even Monday when the cuts will be started. Bottom line..they are not far away.

Jimke---I think Kettani was in camp..no?? I know the two receivers were not...but I also believe it's quite possible that they were injured. Will be interesting who is cut and whether any of the 3 will end up on the military reserve list

These cuts will be coming up Monday...Tuesday...will be a bit interesting..don't see any surprises...

Prospects for release:

WR Shun White
WR Robert Ortiz
WR Tyree Barnes
WR Terrence Nunn

TE Tyson DeVree

OL Ryan Wendell

DT Steve Williams

CB Jamar Love

There's a logjam at WR, with Aiken and potentially Tate and Edelman options as high-value ST players and part-time receiver. I'd expect at least two of the above list of receivers to face release.

There's a logjam at WR, with Aiken and potentially Tate and Edelman options as high-value ST players and part-time receiver. I'd expect at least two of the above list of receivers to face release.

My guess is that the Navy receivers will be placed on military reserve, rather than released (either way it frees up a roster spot, but MR lets the Pats keep their rights).

Prospects for release:

WR Shun White
WR Robert Ortiz
WR Tyree Barnes
WR Terrence Nunn

TE Tyson DeVree

OL Ryan Wendell

DT Steve Williams

CB Jamar Love

Why would you have DeVree in that category?? If anything, many see him as a possibilty of a 4th tight end..not TC fodder. I would agree with the logjam of WRs..a few will go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back