PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So who does draft work? Pats pick before or after playoff teams with worse record?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: You guys know we are Picking 24th right?

I said this before, but this whole draft slot according to record is ridiculous. If that's how they want the draft to be, then they have to change the playoff criteria.

Correct. The 23rd or 22nd picks would be a possibility. Only a Super Bowl win by a team with a worse record and/or a loss by a team with a worse record matters and could change the draft order at this point.

I know who I'm rooting for now

So if the Iggles or Vikes are in the SB we move up 1 spot thru all rounds.

Should San Diego win the AFCCG, we get screwed with their 2nd round pick falling to 31 or 32nd. Otherwise it's my understanding that all the 8-8 teams alternate sequence per round and our 2nd rounder from SD moves up. Is that true?

If the wikipedia is right then we'd move up 1 pick in round 2 with San Diego but drop 3 spots on our own pick.
NFL Draft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Once the order for the first round is determined, teams with the same record "cycle" picks in each subsequent round, regardless of playoff status or any other factor (except that the Super Bowl teams will always pick last in every round). For example, in the 2008 draft, Arizona, Minnesota, Houston, and Philadelphia all finished 8-8, and picked in that order in the first round. In the second round, the order became Minnesota, Houston, Philadelphia, and Arizona. That cycling continues through all seven rounds."

The picks would be
Round 1: 24 (as high as 22 if San Diego in Super bowl and Philly, Ariz or Min)
Round 2: 15(47 overall) (If San Diego is in Super Bowl is 31 or 32)
Round 2: 27 (59 overall) (Based on rotation above?)
Round 3: 26 (90 overall) (Based on rotation above?)
Round 3 comp: 97-100 ish for Assante Samuel

I'm not sure if that rotation is accurate but estimates
Keep in mind Detroit has the #20 pick from Dallas, a good spot to trade for a QB like Cassel and still have the chip at #1 overall.

I was initially a bit ticked by this as well, but that's the rules. If it were any coach but BB, I might be more concerned, but given his draft tendencies, I don't think it's a big deal. How many times in the first round has BB ever drafted the "best player available" at the time? Only Mayo and Wilfork spring to mind from the last 5 years or so. BB will get the guy he wants at 24 or 21, or wherever, and odds are it will surprise all of us. That's how he do.

it is not reasonable to have a problem with a rule only when it suits you

Our morphing into Colts fans is now complete !!!!
We want to change rules to suit us now.
We are constantly whining about bad weather conditions.
We have become stat obsessed.
Quite simple, we are drafting 24thish because that is were we finished.

Hello, sherlock. That's a bunch of crap and you know it. everything in your post is garbage.

No one complains about the weather any more than they did previously. The fans are NOT stat obsessed, though YOU may be. And we don't want to change the rules to suit the Patriots. We want them to be FAIR. I know that idea might be a foreign concept for you. But instead of making up dumb posts like this, you might want to look around the nation and see that there are more than a few reporters who have brought up the fact that teams with 8-8 records shouldn't be in the play-offs while teams who finished in the Top 6 of the conference should be.

If we are the considered the sixth best team in our conference (and thus are drafting according to that position) shouldn't we be in the playoffs then? I mean, that's where we finished :rolleyes:

I've never liked division systems in sports, but every sport has them, so I accept them, that's fine. But if you're going to treat a team as non-playoff worthy, you can't say the team who makes it ahead of them deserves the draft reward. That reward is meant to help the lesser teams get back in contention. If we are a "lesser" team, we deserve the higher draft pick. Plain and simple.

Sicilian, while every sports has divisions, not every sport does the draft slotting the way the NFL does. The NHL, for example, slots the play-off in the last 16 picks and the non-play-off teams in the 1st 14.

In all honesty, for the NFL, divisions should be used for scheduling purposes only. Then the play-offs should be by record. Top 6 teams in each conference. It's fair and reasonable.

Re: So who does draft work? Pats pick before or after playoff teams with worse record

The Pats will pick at #24 in the first round, the only way that it will change is if Minnesota, Arizona, Philly and or San Diego make the Superbowl. They are the only playoff teams with worse records than the Pats.

The rules say that IN THE FIRST ROUND, teams with the same won-loss record pick in the following order non-playoff teams pick before playoff teams......

So the Pats will pick at #24, the best they could hope for would be a Minnisota/Arizona/Philly vs San Diego Superbowl which would drop their first round pick down to #22 (although it would adversely effect the Pats 2nd round pick that they are getting from San Deigo which (unless SD makes the Superbowl) will be the 47th overall pick.

You have to remember that the playoff versus non-playoff rule ONLY APPLIES IN THE FIRST ROUND, so the Pats pick will rotate to the 59th pick in the second round. After round one, all teams tied with the same won-loss record rotate their picks with whoever picked first in the proceeding round sliding to the bottom of all the tied teams, while all the other teams move up one slot.

Hello, sherlock. That's a bunch of crap and you know it. everything in your post is garbage.

No one complains about the weather any more than they did previously. The fans are NOT stat obsessed, though YOU may be. And we don't want to change the rules to suit the Patriots. We want them to be FAIR. I know that idea might be a foreign concept for you. But instead of making up dumb posts like this, you might want to look around the nation and see that there are more than a few reporters who have brought up the fact that teams with 8-8 records shouldn't be in the play-offs while teams who finished in the Top 6 of the conference should be.

I would have had more of a problem with the broncos making it than the chargers..........at least the chargers crushed the pats making this season's situation more justifiable.........

not sure if there is a right answer for this.......the probability of this happening went up when they went to 4 team conferences since now you have 4 division winners and 2 wildcards instead of 3 and 3

if the jets had beaten the dolphins, I am sure than nobody here would have been lamenting both the jets and the dolphins at 10-6 and out of the playoffs........

the only way around this is to become the NHL and have 2/3rds of the teams make it...........now that I think of it, instead of expanding the regular season, they should expand the playoffs.......make it 8 teams.......4 division winners and 4 wildcard.....no bye week for anyone

If the wikipedia is right then we'd move up 1 pick in round 2 with San Diego but drop 3 spots on our own pick.

"Once the order for the first round is determined, teams with the same record "cycle" picks in each subsequent round, regardless of playoff status or any other factor (except that the Super Bowl teams will always pick last in every round). For example, in the 2008 draft, Arizona, Minnesota, Houston, and Philadelphia all finished 8-8, and picked in that order in the first round. In the second round, the order became Minnesota, Houston, Philadelphia, and Arizona. That cycling continues through all seven rounds."

The picks would be

Keep in mind Detroit has the #20 pick from Dallas, a good spot to trade for a QB like Cassel and still have the chip at #1 overall.

Here's what I know the picks to be, as of right now:

Rd 1 - #24
Rd 2 - #15 and #27
Rd 3 - #26
Rd 4 - #25
Rd 5 - #24
Rd 6 - #27
Rd 7 - #26

Pats will also receive a compensatory pick for losing A.Samuel, most likely a 3rd Rd pick. I'm not sure if they will receive any compensatory picks for losing Gay or Stallworth. The formula the NFL uses to calculate those picks has me stumped.

I'm not sure if they will receive any compensatory picks for losing Gay or Stallworth.

I believe the way Stallworth left the Pats (option declined) makes him eligible, and last draft Philadelpha got a 4th for him leaving them and signing with us. His average annual contract value with the Browns is about what it was with the Pats, but he didn't have as good a year this year. My guess is a 5th, maybe 4th, for Stallworth.

Gay looks like a 5th round pick.

Haven't looked at the whole situation though, yet. Normally do that in February when our season is over...

Last edited:

Hey all... I agree that the playoff teams with worse records pick before us...and then we pick first amongst the "11-5s" for round 1... but what about round 2 and beyond... does anyone KNOW if the playoff/nonplayoff slotting is considered a "tie breaker" or constitutes a sep class? Essentially, are we rotated down in rounds 2 and beyond with the other "11-5s"... or do we maintain top spot in each round?

Any held here would be most appreciated.

And fellas... we all knew the rules before this year... the rules are the rules..."it is what it is"... no crying in football, gents.

The picks would be

Re: So who does draft work? Pats pick before or after playoff teams with worse record

Sorry folks.... I should have kept reading. I've got it.

Paul Perillo who works for the Pats had this wrong on WEEI. To his credit he just admitted to it on air. If someone who is in his position is confused by this, I would assume others would be too.

Our morphing into Colts fans is now complete !!!!
We want to change rules to suit us now.
Quite simple, we are drafting 24thish because that is were we finished.

Agreed. A whole lot of whining for what is a very reasonable procedure. It doesn't happen to favor the Patriots in this case so there are calls to change it.

But record is a better indicator of how good a team you are than whether or not you reached the playoffs (hence all the whining about the Patriots not reaching the playoffs when an 8-8 team gets in), so the rule is emminently fair. And divisions are a really good thing in lots of ways, so having division winners go to the playoffs is also good.

Such is life. You can choose to enjoy it or complain about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back