PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So who does draft work? Pats pick before or after playoff teams with worse record?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: So who does draft work? Pats pick before or after playoff teams with worse record

yeah, the basic part that leads to all this confusion is the part where it states playoff teams pick on record amongst themselves, so all playoff teams at 9-7 pick before any at 10-6 and after....BUT where it gets confusing is that this DOES NOT apply when involving a playoff and non playoff team...that's when the conference records and divisional records and THEN strength of schedule and THEN coin flip provisions take hold. I definitely see what Alamo is saying. You have to look at Cleveland's 2006 record to understand their 2007 schedule was WEAKER because of 2006 than Tampa Bay or the other two 10-6 teams, therefore they picked after these three teams. Does it make sense? In a convoluted way,yes...but it sure makes it arcane.

Re: So who does draft work? Pats pick before or after playoff teams with worse record

FWIW, here is what Great Blue North Draft Report has as updated order with the NEP picking #24 (which could slide up or down depending on who plays in the SB).

Great Blue North Draft Report

#
Team
W-L
Opp W-L %
1 Detroit
0-16
2 St. Louis 2-14 .529
Kansas City 2-14 .537

Seattle
4-12 .498

Cleveland
4-12
Cincinnati 4-11-1
7 Oakland 5-11 .520
Jacksonville 5-11
Green Bay 6-10 .496
San Francisco 7-9
11 Buffalo 7-9
12 Denver 8-8
Washington 8-8
14 New Orleans 8-8 .492
15 Houston 8-8
P16
San Diego 8-8 .516
P17 New York Jets 9-7 .471
P18 Chicago
9-7
P19
Tampa Bay
9-7
P20 Detroit (from Dallas) 9-7 .498
P21 Arizona 9-7
P22
Philadelphia 9-6-1
P23 Minnesota 10-6
P24
New England
11-5

P25
Atlanta 11-5
P26 Miami 11-5 .461
P27
Baltimore 11-5
P28
Philadelphia (from Carolina) 12-4
P29 Indianapolis 12-4
P30
Pittsburgh
12-4 .525
P31
New York Giants 12-4
P32
Tennessee 13-3

Last edited:

wow, so Eagles, Cards, Vikings and Chargers all pick before the Pats AND make the playoffs? This sucks. They should just seed all the playoff teams bottom 12 in the draft. Isn't that only fair? How can the record matter for one thing and not the other?

Once again, their strength of schedule numbers are higher than ours, which is the determining factor amongst playoff and nonplayoff teams...if we had made the playoffs it would have been team record, in this case we'd STILL pick after these teams.

The NFL has terrible logic if playoff teams can pick before non-playoff teams because it would mean only one of the following is true:

1) The best 6 teams from each conference enter the playoffs

or

2) Teams pick in order of who needs the most help.

Personally, especially after today, I think #2 is correct and shouldn't be changed... #1 should be. Call me a sore loser if you want (even though we lost a lot less than the Chargers and Cards).

It's my understanding that the Patriots pick 19th overall.

FWIW, here is what Great Blue North Draft Report has as updated order with the NEP picking #24 (which could slide up or down depending on who plays in the SB).

Only up, by at most two spots (i.e., from #24 to #22), and definitely not down.

It's my understanding that the Patriots pick 19th overall.

With all due respect, your understanding is simply wrong (even if all playoff teams picked 21-32, the Pats would still be #20, since they had the best record of any non-playoff team).

Last edited:

wow, so Eagles, Cards, Vikings and Chargers all pick before the Pats AND make the playoffs? This sucks. They should just seed all the playoff teams bottom 12 in the draft. Isn't that only fair? How can the record matter for one thing and not the other?

Yea that's my problem with it too. Draft order and playoff status completely contradict one another. Makes no sense at all.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:
You guys know we are picking 24th right?

That's like an added punch in the gut after all that happened...the league should fix that rule for none Playoffs Teams. We didn't get in because of our Conference but we are picking like we were in the Playoffs....thats not fair imo.:mad:

Great Blue North Draft Report

Last edited:
Re: You guys know we are Picking 24th right?

Given the Commish's refusal to reconsider rookie contract money until 2011, that is probably not a bad thing. Belichick and Pioli like that position in the draft (other than taking Mayo last year and striking gold).

If a team with 10-6 record or less reach the superbowl we can pick 23th, or 22th?

or I am wrong?

If a team with 10-6 record or less reach the superbowl we can pick 23th, or 22th?

or I am wrong?

Correct. The 23rd or 22nd picks would be a possibility. Only a Super Bowl win by a team with a worse record and/or a loss by a team with a worse record matters and could change the draft order at this point.

or I am wrong?

Still, I think the point is if we're going to be treated like an inferior, non-playoff worthy team due to which division/conference we play in, shouldn't we gain the draft reward as well? We should be 20th, which is still a very reasonable salary pick. 24 is an insult.

Our morphing into Colts fans is now complete !!!!
We want to change rules to suit us now.
We are constantly whining about bad weather conditions.
We have become stat obsessed.
Quite simple, we are drafting 24thish because that is were we finished.

Our morphing into Colts fans is now complete !!!!
We want to change rules to suit us now.
We are constantly whining about bad weather conditions.
We have become stat obsessed.
Quite simple, we are drafting 24thish because that is were we finished.

If we are the considered the sixth best team in our conference (and thus are drafting according to that position) shouldn't we be in the playoffs then? I mean, that's where we finished :rolleyes:

I've never liked division systems in sports, but every sport has them, so I accept them, that's fine. But if you're going to treat a team as non-playoff worthy, you can't say the team who makes it ahead of them deserves the draft reward. That reward is meant to help the lesser teams get back in contention. If we are a "lesser" team, we deserve the higher draft pick. Plain and simple.

Meh, doesn't worry me much. Whether we pick 20th or 24th, I'm sure we'll use the pick to get a very good player who can help us a lot.

Hey, live by the rules, die by the rules. Leave the whine and cheez to Polian and his idiots.

#24, hopefully William Moore is sitting there for us. We could use a SS with his skill-set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes