PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So who does draft work? Pats pick before or after playoff teams with worse record?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: So who does draft work? Pats pick before or after playoff teams with worse record

Looking back to last year, the Browns went 10-6 did not make the playoffs whereas the Redskins went 9-7 and made the playoffs and had the pick before the Browns. If the rule hasn't changed, this says that the Pats will be picking behind playoff teams in the #24 slot.

Damn that kinda blows. But still, knowing our method of drafting, I doubt 4 spots would make a difference. We will take the guy we want and 4 spots lower won't matter. For example, if we were 4 spots higher in this year's draft would we have taken Vernon Gholston or still 'reached' for Mayo?

Re: So who does draft work? Pats pick before or after playoff teams with worse record

Missing the playoffs sucks, but picking at #20 is sweet.

Pats will pick first among 11-5 teams.

the draft is supposed to make teams that can't win more competitive. i know it sucks we're picking behind playoff teams, but is anyone really afraid we won't be competitive next year? more competitive than the low seed playoff teams?

Pats will pick 20th...

"Remaining teams are sorted by regular season record, with worse records picking first, regardless of playoff status; teams that make the playoffs can't pick before teams that do not." ----NFL rules for determining draft order.

Don't know where you quoted from, but you should find a new source, they are wrong. I would bet a testicle on it.

I would like to ask that people who do NOT know the correct answer please NOT post their misinformation here just to rack up a post. The poster asked a good question. I don't KNOW the answer so I await someone who does, 20th or 24th or what? People posting 'facts' that are not so, don't help.

if the patriots dont pick in front of team which make the playoffs that is ******ed.

it would mean

we get screwed in terms of playing a harder schedule
we get screwed in terms of the tie breaker, because even if we play a harder schedule and lose to better teams we lose
AND we get screwed for drafting purposes? no way

And SD pick in round 2 will land somewhere between 42 and 44 if they lose tonight and 48th (they would make the playoffs hence pick after all the 8-8 teams that didnt make the playoffs) if they win

Except in each successive round, teams with the same record move down a pick (they rotate). So if the Chargers pick last of all 8-8 teams in the first round, because they made the playoffs, they will pick first of all the 8-8 teams in the second round. (Unless they make the Super Bowl of course.)

Last edited:

Don't know where you quoted from, but you should find a new source, they are wrong. I would bet a testicle on it.

thats the quote from Wikipedia, which as you pointed out, is wrong. Thats why you can't use Wikipedia as a source.

uh...this is really quite simple...any team that goes 10-6 or worse picks before any 11-5 team...playoffs or not. 11-5 and playoffs picks after 11-5 and no playoffs. What is the big problem here?

Last edited:

A team's draft position is in reverse correlation with the success it achieved on the field during the previous year, which is why the team with the worst record has the first pick of each round, and the Super Bowl champion has the last pick. This is the default draft position for these teams unless they choose to trade their picks. The other 30 teams fall somewhere in between based on the following factors:

* Nonplayoff teams get to draft before the teams that made the playoffs of the previous season.
* Playoff teams pick in reverse order of their success.

If teams share the same record, here are the criteria for breaking ties:

1. Strength of schedule - refers to the combined win-loss record of the teams they played the previous season
2. Divisional and conference records
3. Coin toss

quite clear....and this is the official NFL rules

* Nonplayoff teams get to draft before the teams that made the playoffs of the previous season.

quite clear....and this is the official NFL rules

No, it can't be official, because it's wrong. Why do people EVER post rule quotes without posting a link to the source?

Last edited:

I'm not going to complain about an 11-5 team not making the playoffs ( it sucks but its so rare that its not worth *****ing about ) but I really think its stupid that the team is punished twice by picking behind the **** teams that went 8-8, 9-7 but made the playoffs. All non playoff teams should pick before any playoff team.
I completely agree with this.

No, it can't be official, because it's wrong. Why do people EVER post rule quotes without posting a link to the source?

what's wrong about it Alamo?

and what will you agree on as an official source? NFL.com not good enough?

what's wrong about it Alamo?

and what will you agree on as an official source? NFL.com not good enough?

It's wrong because it says nonplayoff teams all pick before playoff teams, which is wrong.

I don't believe it's an accurate quote from NFL.com. Provide a link.

no, it's from a link off NFL.com to a site that answers the question...right now I'm looking at a number of different sites that say the exact same thing...your contention is that a playoff team picks BEFORE a nonplayoff team??? I've NEVER EVER seen or heard of that in MY lifetime...maybe you can provide ONE example from the past 58 years for my edification.

and BTW, I don't deserve your unbridled derision and insinuation that I'm a moronic liar....show me something counter to what is common knowledge and I'll thank you for it.

no, it's from a link off NFL.com to a site that answers the question...right now I'm looking at a number of different sites that say the exact same thing...your contention is that a playoff team picks BEFORE a nonplayoff team??? I've NEVER EVER seen or heard of that in MY lifetime...maybe you can provide ONE example from the past 58 years for my edification.

and BTW, I don't deserve your unbridled derision and insinuation that I'm a moronic liar....show me something counter to what is common knowledge and I'll thank you for it.

Well, if I was brusque it's only because I am switching abck and forth quickly between various things, I am sorry. But I did clearly want to say you are wrong.

In the last 58 years you need to go as far back as... April 2008. When Cleveland had the 22nd pick, even though they missed the playoffs. They traded it to Dallas.

Last year's draft order: NFL Events: Draft
Last year's standings: NFL Standings: League

You can see that CLE (DAL) picked 22nd, first of all the 10-6 teams (the other 4 of which made the playoffs).

Also note that #20, Tampa Bay, made the playoffs.

Last edited:

I think the confusion here is the wording - non-playoff teams pick before playoff teams *of the same bracket*. I.e.: you have two 10-6 teams. One made the playoffs, the other didn't. The one that didn't picks first, regardless of other considerations. Add a 9-7 team that DID make the playoffs, they'll still pick before ALL of the 10-6 teams, as evidenced by Tampa last year.

If teams share the same record, here are the criteria for breaking ties:

1. Strength of schedule - refers to the combined win-loss record of the teams they played the previous season
2. Divisional and conference records

Cleveland had the best record out of the four teams that went 10-6 including Tampa Bay which made the playoffs, based on strength of schedule. I see the confusion here....it seems as though playoff versus nonplayoff is THE determining factor when actually, when teams have identical records, playoffs or not it falls to strength of schedule and then divisional and conference record and then coin toss as a last resort.

No...wait...Tampa Bay went 9-7 so that means they pick ahead of all 10-6 teams irregardless...so the strength of schedule apllies to the other three teams

Last edited:

Did I not already say this a few hours ago and a few dozen posts above?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back