PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So, who did Ellis Hobbs piss off, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fixit

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
That kid can't catch a break against Indy. Last year's face guarding call, which was one of the worst calls I've ever seen, just got leapfrogged by that ridiculous interference. Words (other than curses, that is) actually failed me for like three minutes after that.

How can a DB be ahead of the receiver, looking for the ball, get tackled from behind, and still get flagged?

That kid can't catch a break against Indy. Last year's face guarding call, which was one of the worst calls I've ever seen, just got leapfrogged by that ridiculous interference. Words (other than curses, that is) actually failed me for like three minutes after that.

How can a DB be ahead of the receiver, looking for the ball, get tackled from behind, and still get flagged?

Indy rules. Their receivers are allowed a full 1 yard "no-contact-zone" upon all pass attempts.

Last edited:

We should be thankful
that the league only tries to manage the outcomes of certain games - not every game -
with officiating.

Hobbs gets called for pass interference more than Assante, though I doubt he interferes more.

Problem is, you don't get called for what you do, but what you look like your doing (in the view of middle aged men huffing and ouffing trying to keep up with the play.)

In my opinion, and I noticed this as soon as Hobbs started playing before he ever got called, He needs to control his arms and make smoother movements, less herky jerky.

Of course the calls sucked, but smooth CBs commit interference all the time and get away with it. From 20 yards away, a guy flapping his arms frantically is going to get some phantom calls. It's something he needs to work on.

........ don't get called for what you do, but what you look like your doing (in the view of middle aged men huffing and ouffing trying to keep up with the play.)

Excellent summation!! :D

Problem is, you don't get called for what you do, but what you look like your doing (in the view of middle aged men huffing and ouffing trying to keep up with the play.)

In my opinion, and I noticed this as soon as Hobbs started playing before he ever got called, He needs to control his arms and make smoother movements, less herky jerky.

Of course the calls sucked, but smooth CBs commit interference all the time and get away with it. From 20 yards away, a guy flapping his arms frantically is going to get some phantom calls. It's something he needs to work on.

You surely have a sweet soul, Ray
... to believe that those calls and non-calls were
honest, innocent ineptitude.

Reminds me of Rick Fox back when he was a rookie. Of course Fox stopped drawing the unfair calls when he stopped being a rookie.

You surely have a sweet soul, Ray
... to believe that those calls and non-calls were
honest, innocent ineptitude.

Those particular calls and the Moss ones were terrible. I'm trying to separate that from a problem I noticed with Hobbs from the get go.

Though they misinterpreted a rule on Hobbs call last year, he looked totally out of control on the play and that is going to draw the attention of the refs.

Second point. Do I think there is a conspiracy by the refs to corruptly call against the Patriots versus Colts? No and Yes.

I don't think the refs are taking cash payments to make calls against the Patriots, if that is what you are implying.

However, there is such a thing as public relations and politics in football as there is in life. Who doesn't know ass-kissers and whiners who get the promotions while you do all the work (seemingly).

There is an aspect to being a coach of a football team dealing with public and media relations and image projection and Belichick is miserable at it. For someone who is a great human being, in my opinion, he couldn't come off as a more detestable, mean spirited guy in the publics perception and it is his fault.

There's a little boys club called the competition committee comprised of all the whiners and ass-kissing losers in the league. Unfortunately, the head rat is the GM of a team that is not a loser, in fact they are the reigning champs. Now that they've installed Dudley-Doright as commissioner we'd better get Stacy James or somebody to start schmoozing and weaving some PR unless we can get our coach a personality transplant.

Refs are human and watch TV like the rest of us. If BB is on a mission to have every media and failed football guy like Casserly hate his guts, all the coverage is going to be like Casserly explaining how Moss pushes off on every play and if you don't think that sinks in to the refs after a while, you don't know human nature.

Horrible call. Those deep pass and end zone PI calls are killers, might as well just give points instead.

I'd like to see those calls be reviewable. So what if it's a judgement call by the linesman, at least give a team the option to throw the red flag and put the judgement in the hands of the Ref with video replay, when it's so obviously a blown call like that.

Horrible call. Those deep pass and end zone PI calls are killers, might as well just give points instead.

I'd like to see those calls be reviewable. So what if it's a judgement call by the linesman, at least give a team the option to throw the red flag and put the judgement in the hands of the Ref with video replay, when it's so obviously a blown call like that.

I agree we had some horrible PI calls and non calls. Simms even mentioned two widely separated calls that were bad. He doesn't do that unless they are blatant.

The only scenario I can imagine for that call is that the flag was thrown for offensive pass interference and the communication was misinterpreted. Does that make sense? No, and it probably didn't happen, but I cannot convince myself that the ref watching that play truly thought, "Wow, he really interfered with the receiver there."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes