PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So, who are the true Belioli-type draft prospects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Every year they pick players that surprise us, they "reach", and then we learn about the players only to find out that their personality fits the bill perfectly. So for this thread no stats or measurables, just personality---who are the Belioli types in this draft? To me that means:
- tremendous football intelligence and instincts
- tireless worker, particularly in the class/film room
- team leader, unselfish (usually captains)
- mental and physical toughness and endurance
- exceptional in the community

The one guy that I have heard about that is a great match is DeMeco Ryans, though I don't know that he fits the system.

Last edited:
re

I don't know if the criteria is that specific. BB drafted Hobbs, who seems to be pretty flamboyant. Ty Law used to be on the team, BB picked up Bryan Cox one year, he traded for Corey Dillon and Warfield, and there are other guys don't really fit the mold of what you described.

I think all BB cares about is:
1. how much does a player care about WINNING
2. how well will the player perform in the system
3. how much does the player cost

I think those characteristics you described are just symptoms/after-effects of what happens when you have players who fit those three criteria.

Last edited:
maverick4 said:
I don't know if the criteria is that specific. BB drafted Hobbs, who seems to be pretty flamboyant. Ty Law used to be on the team, BB picked up Bryan Cox one year, he traded for Corey Dillon and Warfield, and there are other guys don't really fit the mold of what you described.

I think those characteristics you described are just symptoms/after-effects of what happens when you have players who fit those three criteria.
Good post, but I would tweak #3 slightly.

How much does the player cost in relativity to their value to the team.

Remember, we just made Seymour the highest-paid DL in history. We aren't stringent, but we only paid Seymour that much because he is WORTH that much. Overpaying players like LaVar Arrington, however, is NOT worth it, nor is getting in a bidding war over Givens, who can and will be replaced.

maverick4 said:

I never said and don't think that BB/SP consider flamboyance (Hobbs, Branch) a negative as long as the player isn't selfish (big difference). I absolutely do think they consider these factors strongly, particularly while drafting, but it's not just the absence of a rap sheet that you seem to be implying. The "exceptional in the community" isn't a litmus test, but it is a factor (if you don't have it, you better have the other factors). Ty Law, Corey Dillon, and Bryan Cox (I don't know Warfield) all certainly had my points #1,2, and 4, at least. These are not just "after-effects", you can't teach intelligence, instincts, self-motivation, toughness, etcetera (though of course good leadership does bring them out). BB/SP want players to come in with these characteristics already in place, and then to build on them. Note that this isn't my opinion, I'm just doing my best to summarize what BB&SP say every year about how they evaluate and choose players.

As for your points:
#1: Yes, this falls within the "football is important to him" factor and seems to be roughly the same as my point #2.
#2: Yes this is essential, but in this thread I wanted to focus on personality. Production and measureables also count.
#3: Irrelevant for drafting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill